PDA

View Full Version : Should the front and rear tire be the same make and model?

Nyy4
07-09-2008, 03:50 AM
Should my front and rear tire be the exact same make, model and treat pattern? Or should I stay away from mixing and matching?

dave_xb12r
07-09-2008, 04:24 AM
I wouldn't do it. I'm no tire expert, but I do know that in hard turns, your tire does slide a little bit. Its not even noticeable, but it does. I would think different tread patterns, different makes and models have different slide rates. The last thing you want is the front tire sliding more than the back. Thats not even including wet weather issues. I think buying a pair of tires is worth saving your life.

Maybe Lefox or BPG can offer some expert advice

LeFox
07-09-2008, 10:00 AM
[confused] thought i already answered this somewhere [confused]

ok, the front and rear are manufactured to work as a team.
for street tires, it is mostly the case, that the front tires split the rain in such a way so the rear can get the most grip.

talking short-term...if weather is dry and you have a soft compound front tire which still has some profile left, but you need to change the rear, that should be no problem.

BuellPartsGuy
07-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Do not mix and match tires. It is unsafe. Like LeFox said, they are designed to work together.

dans03firebolt
07-09-2008, 08:12 PM
For sure don't mix them up. If you buy 2 and the rear goes before the front make sure you get the same rear again.