PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump for XB12?

zaxrex
07-25-2011, 08:38 PM
So, I'm starting to realize just how much of a nightmare that finding parts for our Buells has become. Since my 2005 XB has the inferior oil system, I'm looking for the 2008+ oil pump and strengthened worm gear so that I can attempt to keep my bike running for as long as possible. Of course, the drive gear is available on BuellParts, but the oil pump (PN 26357-07) I cannot find anywhere. Even my local Harley dealership has "no idea to what part I'm referring." Has anyone had success finding the oil pump elsewhere??

zaxrex
07-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Also, is there a way to check the oil pump drive gear without removing all the crankshaft gearing??

wolfo68
07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
pretty sure you have to take out the cams to check the pump drive gear. as far as the newer pumps, I've heard there is an electric pump you can hook up so that it'd run when you turn the ignition on but I'm not sure of the validity about that.

zaxrex
07-26-2011, 06:29 AM
Wolfo thanks.

I found this:
http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Parts-Guy-Questions-and-Answers/oil-pump-drive-gear

Evidently it is possible to check the drive gear without actually pulling out the cam gears. I really wish Buell could have designed the weak gear to be the one ON the oil pump... would have made everything much easier [sad]

gtp3800
07-26-2011, 07:49 AM
keep looking cuz I would also be interested. my oil pump has been making weird noises time to time. Like Ill let it prime and its usual noise will be off tone and almost screetching... I dont know what that means.

I think ive seen an oil pump on buellsterparts.net

Clyde
07-26-2011, 08:51 AM
GTP if your priming before you start the engine I think you might be talking about your fuel pump. If it's making a real screatching noise order your new one and start studying how to change.

gtp3800
07-26-2011, 09:15 AM
yea fuel pump* I dont know if its bad, just making weird noise.

zaxrex, If I were you, I would try to get my hands on a parts manual, find what you need in there, then let harley know. A buell friendly location would be the best.

zaxrex
07-26-2011, 10:17 AM
A buell friendly location would be the best.

Is there such a thing any longer??

gtp3800
07-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Is there such a thing any longer??

its hard to come by... but they are still out there. There is actually a thread on here where we all listed dealerships that helped us out and were buell friendly. Do a quick search you will find it, maybe your close to one of them.

oh9bolt
07-28-2011, 04:24 PM
zax that harley dealership that we went to on the ride is very Buell friendly I ordered my parts from them with no problems. One of their techs races a firebolt they are very helpful. Tarryn is the guy I always dealt with.