PDA

View Full Version : difference between this 2 air filters

pamver
07-26-2011, 02:14 AM
is there a big difference between this 2 air filters?(and i don't mean the looks:p)http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/bajabomber87/crap/photo1-31.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/8375_20101105013738_L.jpg

tdmfun
07-26-2011, 04:51 AM
Hello,

the bottom one is mine. It's a K&N airfilter to replace the OEM filter. The small filter is for the breathermod.

Important is to know if the top-one can let enough air to the engine.

Maybe K&N(or another brand) has the answer?

pamver
07-26-2011, 07:50 AM
so the K&N set up is better than the ather on becaus it lets more air in right?

tdmfun
07-26-2011, 08:03 AM
I don't know if hte K&N set up is better, It's most used because it fits in the standard filterbox.

Maybe someone else knows the specs of the cone filter?

I've seen pics of a xb with 2 airfilters on top. don't no where. I try to find the pic.

SonderMann
07-26-2011, 08:26 AM
The first one "Cone Filter" withthe elbow pipe is a custom set up of Bajabomber87 for his custom Buell

Bayabombers Project-P-51-Mustang-Buell (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Project-P-51-Mustang-Buell/23/)

I am not sure that this one fits stock air-box cover [confused] too big (high). Second one however is designed specially for Buell XB. (Maybe it fits somewhere else but I do not where)
Both Air Filters look like K&N just of a different shape. And the Cone Filter has some connector. Maybe it is equipped with the Air Pressure Sensor [confused]. As to the difference in efficiency of both I do not think it is drastic. May be Bayabomber87 will say for sure if the Cone Filter is better.
There are different Air Filter manufacturers (K&N, PiperCross and others). Perhaps the K&N is the best one. The most popular is for sure :D

Anyway if you are going to change the Stock Air Filter by the Zero Resistance Air Filter you will need to change your ECM Fuel Map as with the stock ECM air-fuel mixture will become lean.

BTW Buell XB experienced Guys, can anyone tell me if there is any Air-Pressure sensor installed into Fuel System (Air Intake Manifold) in stock XB bike? If yes then it should send a signal of an increased Air Pressure and ECM should give a Command to Fuel Injector to enreachen the Mixture.
I mean the following:
1) Zero-Resistance Air Filter --- More Air
2) More Air --- More Air Pressure
3) Air Pressure Sensor sends the readings of the Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure to the ECM
4) If more air-pressure signal is coming to ECM than ECM should give more fuel through Fuel Injectors

Am I right or someone has beter understanding of this process[confused]
Why should Fuel Map be tuned in this case?

tdmfun
07-27-2011, 12:01 AM
The ECM can change the mixture. Only for a couple %. Has someting to do with riding on sealevel or higher. Higher is less air, so the ECM has to change the mixture.

By tuning they can make bigger changes, special for the bikes setup.

DustyXB
07-27-2011, 12:13 AM
You wont get more air with a k&n it'll simply make it easier for your bike to get the air in. Adding an aftermarket exhaust will help get the air out easier.

The top picture is of bajas custom XB. Honestly it looks cool but doesn't look like it would make it easier for the bike to breath like the second picture. And yes the little filter on the second picture is for the breathed reroute.

And no there isn't more or less air depending on your altitude. It gets thicker or thinner. Its called berometric pressure... or is it atmospheric pressure. Theres more or less oxygen but not air (sorry I'm a smartass).

No you don't need to remap your ECM for a simple filter swap. But if you do an open airbox and filter and exhaust then you'll want to remap, otherwise your computer will be able to make the needed adjustments on its own.

One last thing, i don't recall if anyone has actually done tests to see if the K&N works any better over stock.

BKKBuell
07-27-2011, 03:04 AM
The K&N improves a lot on the handling, it makes the acceleration and deceleration smooth. I did following configuration

Race ECM
Hawk muffler
Brisk sparkplugs

The original filter does the job but the torque curve is fellable unsmooth and when shifting down and motor braking you get the popping noise...

The K&N makes the torque curve nice and smooth... when shifting down and motor braking there is no popping noise anymore

The Buell race filter is similar to the K&N

Dyno test stand will follow as soon I have the time&spirit

SonderMann
07-27-2011, 03:11 AM
Theres more or less oxygen but not air (sorry I'm a smartass).
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/284/c/d/laughing_smiley_by_jjgirlxd-d30k4uc.gif

self-criticism is what I like[up]:D

Thanks for your replies guys.

pamver
07-28-2011, 01:44 PM
No you don't need to remap your ECM for a simple filter swap. But if you do an open airbox and filter and exhaust then you'll want to remap, otherwise your computer will be able to make the needed adjustments on its own.

do i need to remap my ecm with this set up:
-open airbox (k&n)
-breather reroute
- http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/quick-easy-exhaust-fun