PDA

View Full Version : New xb12r owner...quick question

SpOoLiN2
07-27-2011, 11:08 AM
I’ve always been fascinated with Buells ever since I seen one and heard one for the first time. I’ve been riding Jap bikes for 10 years now and I finally figured it was time for a change. I just sold my ’05 R1 and then I bought a ’06 xb12r on the same day. I love the bike. And it’s defiantly different from all my other bikes, but it’s different in a very good way.
I do have a question which I need help with. I’ve read through and searched the forum, and I can’t seem to find a solid answer. The tuning of the ECM is really giving me the creeps for I’ve never done anything like that before and I don’t want to mess up my new bike.
From what I heard and read, the ’06 airbox sucks… So I was going to buy a ’07 from ASB and just swap mine out with it… My question is: will I need to have my ECM tuned for just a ’07 airbox upgrade?
[confused]

2004xb12s
07-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Its not necessary to swap airbox's....really the 06's work just fine. You aren't gonna see a difference.

J_Undisputed
07-27-2011, 11:43 AM
The more aerated version of the box top started in 07, I think. Most 06'ers and prior just drilled holes or dremmeled their airboxes or deleted them all together.

If you're bike's exhaust and air filter are stock, I don't think the tuning is necessary. If you're changing the airflow in(airbox delete mod, High flow filter) and out(aftermarket/modded stock exhaust), you might want to tune it. The interactive exhaust valve can only do so much on it's own.

Look a Member call The Octopus, if you're interested in learning the ins and outs of Tuning and datalogging.

SpOoLiN2
07-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Thank you fella's... i appreciate it

xtreme
07-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Negatotry no ecm tune. Know when you decide to do exhaust and K&N filter, your gonna need a tune, or you can buy a pretuned Race ECM from EBR, Thats what I personally did and it worked out great.

captain chaos
07-27-2011, 12:37 PM
The Buell ECM is a "learning" type of system. It will compensate for minor changes (like an airbix mod) fairly well. More major changes and you're best to tweak the fuel tables but for nothing more than an airbox mod it should be OK.

With ecmspy you can also just load the race ECM (or other premade maps) onto your stock ECM. Simple as pie, once you get ecmspy to connect. That can be a trick but it's more of a windows/computer issue than anything. After that's all sorted it's a piece of cake.

50dro
07-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Welcome to the forum! I agree w/ what the others have said. No re-tune needed with just the airbox mod, but you will if you get an exhaust.

Post up some pics of your new toy when you get a chance!

If you decide to install some axle sliders or an updated front pulley cover check out my site!

5-0dro
www.5-0dro.com (http://www.5-0dro.com)

SpOoLiN2
07-27-2011, 03:14 PM
What if I were to do the K&N filter with the '07 airbox? Will I need a retune then? I'm slowly modding and I don't want to do many changes yet. Just enough that I don't need a retune. I'm gonna wait until I have everything and tune it once and only have to reset the TPS once as well. Thanks for the help BTW.

J_Undisputed
07-27-2011, 07:27 PM
I would. If your changing air flow at both ends (intake and exhaust) of the fuel injection system, you might want to think about tuning your maps. More air and less fuel increases the probability that your bike will run hotter. In a short term it may not make much of a big difference, but over a long term, that heat can cause problems and take life off your engine (i.e. warp valves, etc)

Iamarchangel
07-27-2011, 07:50 PM
fwiw, seeing as you're asking, ride it before you mod it.

Go through a set of tires before you mod anything.

Yes, a K&N is better, no you don't need to retune.

misternikko
07-27-2011, 07:59 PM
+1 on the EBR ECM [up]

get a K&N. hold it.
get an open airbox kit. hold it.
send your stock exhaust to KDFAB and get a drummer.
while thats getting done buy an EBR ECM for your year/drummer.

then thank me later. bikes gonna rock hands down ;)

super easy, no qualms, no fuss.

SpOoLiN2
07-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Misternikko... I think I'll do just that. Good lookin' out. I appreciate everyone's input and feedback.

gfunk32
11-16-2011, 02:46 PM
I upgraded to a K&N airfilter and put a slip on jardine exhaust on my 2009 XB12R Firebolt. I have been told my bikes air fuel mixture is either running too rich or not rich enough. Is there a power commander or fuel mapping system compatable with a XB12r?

xtreme
11-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Go with the preprogramed from EBR