PDA

View Full Version : 06 chain conversion

heavymetal
03-20-2007, 07:00 AM
This is my first real street bike. Been on motocross stuff almost exclusively. I was told at the Buell dealer that the belts on the 06's, mine is the xb9sx, are a lot stronger than what they used to be. The sales dude also said there was no chain conversion for the 06 or 07. I know it probably won't be a problem this first season because I will be getting used to it and of course the break in period, but I am not so trusting of the belt. and i like the look of the chain, but if the belt holds up as good or better, like Buell claims I would probably stay with the belt. I drive around a lot all day for my job and plan on riding the bike as much as I can for work. Any thoughts.

GMAN
03-20-2007, 10:46 AM
There are some conversions, I'll have a look and come back to you, as I have the same concerns, but i'm going to trust the belt, as here in Europe we get lifetime guaranty on it, and I wont change till I test myself how long it last for...

heavymetal
03-20-2007, 05:05 PM
I will have to check and see if we get a lifetime guarantee as well. I know I have a 2 year warranty so I will at least hold off till riding season is over. Sounds like a good winter project if I can find a kit for the 06's. Let me know if any more info pops up.

mrdozer2you
03-20-2007, 06:11 PM
If you look at most if not all of Harley Davidson's new bikes they are all belt driven. Those bikes are twice as heavy as the Buells we ride, most with the same or even more power. Think about it, I'm sure those belts on the big Harley Davidson's take more abuse pushing that weight with the torque ad hp than on our lightweight counterparts. Unless you plan on doing some serious engine mods I cant think of a reason to go back to a chain. They require constant lubrication and tensions. Plus they are messy; you lube the chain, let it sit for a while or overnight, then when you ride you get grease all over your swing-arm.
I say leave the belt, it has a warranty, if you break one during the warranty period have it replaced. If you break more than one(during the warranty period) then you need to contact Buell and let them know.
Don't forget to tell everyone here as well.[smirk]

lucas70374
03-20-2007, 08:05 PM
The good thing about a chain is change gear ratio's. Most racers if not all use chain drive cause of that reason only.

Any chain drive kit for a XB will fit no matter what year.

Best route to go is with the swing-arm off a XBRR model and purchase chain and sprocket.

Al at American Sport-bike is making a kit at a decent price but not available yet.

Hals PA makes a chain drive conversion kit for about 2500.00 comes with everything you need to install and the swing-arm is the 03-05 style swing-arm. I also think you can get stock wheelbase or +2 over stock.

mrdozer2you
03-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Right, for racing. But the average around town/city and highway rider a belt drive is much better.

lucas70374
03-21-2007, 02:01 PM
agreed

heavymetal
03-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks I am convinced to stay with the belt for a couple seasons and see how it goes. This is my first belt driven bike so I was skeptical. My snowmachines all use belts for the clutch system and works great but I usually go through 2 or three belts a season, and at 100 bucks a belt it gets expensive. Granted different technology and use but still. Anyway thanks.

DJRYDBRG
03-22-2007, 07:44 PM
I like the look of chain also but for the most part the belt is the way to go. they do break. I watched a belt shoot out the back of an Ultra Classic H-D when getting the tire up. They can take alot but they are by no means indistuctable.

mrdozer2you
03-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Ok, first off whats a guy on an ultra classic doing trying to get the tire up?? There was the first mistake [up]

DJRYDBRG
03-23-2007, 03:54 PM
he does it all the time. it is easier to get the tire off the ground on that then you would think. especialy if you got a fat girl on back![up] all the extra waight helps. the tire wants to grab instead of spin. the harleys we build got some serious power. extra weight on the back tire is almost necessary to get the front up. unless you get the tire nice and hot with a burnout.