PDA

View Full Version : New to owing a Buell "Almost"

lttlbox
08-09-2011, 08:13 AM
New to almost owing a Buell have a couple questions before i pull the trigger?

1. 2009 Buell XB12R 2900mi, all stock,garage kept, white and blue.
$5,700.00 Good deal/Bad deal?

2. Unfortunately I live in an apartment and GF says no way I can bring it inside... So i ask what are some of the ways you guys secure your bikes?

Burton
08-09-2011, 08:20 AM
I would say that it a solid deal. If it were me, i would try to talk him down a bit, but that new of a model and low miles - its a good deal either way.

I have a garage, so i dont know what to tell you there. There will be some guys on here with good advice on how to secure the bike.

nghbuell
08-09-2011, 08:21 AM
1. if it were me (just my opinion) i would look for a 1125 cr since you can find them for nearly the same money. and 5700 seems on the high side from what i've seen...but i could be wrong.

2. get different GF. problem solved. unless you live with HER...then you might be out of luck or homeless with a sweet buell....I guess there's upsides to both :)

but seriously i would get a good rubber cover chain or sleeved chain to put through one of the wheels and chain it to a pole or something "un-moveable" and then cover it with a good waterproof cover.

I have an 03 xb9s and love it. its the most fun you can legally and illegaly have ;) wish you the best, stay safe, and welcome to the forum.
Nick
oh and where you from?

rrh481
08-09-2011, 08:26 AM
That's a good deal, if I were you I would lose the girl. I parked my bike in my living room over winter and I have a garage haha.

Lesley
08-09-2011, 08:33 AM
I am as much about keeping the bike in good shape as I am riding it so I wouldn't own a bike if I didn't have a place to store it. Apartments are the worst for having vehicles stolen. If you have no choice I can appreciate that too. You can buy locks that come in sets of four with the same keys. Buy that and put two locks on each disc of the wheels. Wire a kill switch to the fuel pump. Write down all serial numbers on the bike and motor. Get to know you're neighbors more and find some that keep opposite hours as you so they can help keep an eye on it. Bottom line is though, if they want your bike they'll get it. Keep full coverage insurance on it as well. Good luck.

rockerphotographer
08-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Yep I had an R6 that almost got stolen at an apartment complex. Looks like they started to hotwire then realized I had the forks locked, then proceeded to cut the brake lines and kicked it over....assholes [down]

My brother's bike WAS successfully stolen from his apartment complex.

When goobers want to steal a bike for the night they hit up apartment complexes first thing. Only takes a second. Especially if they have a twin size mattress, a truck, and a friend to help out. They usually run through several apartments at a time to get all they can in one night while everyone thinks they're safe.

Apartments are no good for bikes! They need to be hidden from the general public when not in use.

Thaloc
08-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Its a good price for the bike IMO.

I would say talk the lady into keeping inside if you got a spot out of the way. Like said above apartments are the worst for stolen bikes.

user_deleted
08-09-2011, 10:05 AM
is it a firebolt or lightning? that would be a good deal here in southern PA, especially if you throw an offer of $5500 at him/her and they take it. be prepared to go over it and service with fresh fluids regadless of what he says about recent service. other than hawkins exhaust, i'd probably leave it stock. if it MUST sit outside at your apartment complex, buy the best cover for it you can find and best lock setup. like thaloc said, apart. complexes are notorious for cycle thefts and car break-ins. ever consider combing the neighborhood and asking around if someone has a little spare garage space they might rent you? you'd be surprised what a little courteous asking might turn up.

lttlbox
08-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Well I can't get rid of her because she is actually buying it for me! So she either loves me or is trying to cash in on my life inc. Either way she wins.
It is a Thunderbolt.

lttlbox
08-09-2011, 05:13 PM
I have found a couple nice locking covers and have a spot right outside the apt to lock it up to a light pole. I have been back and forth on the Buell or build a supermoto, and I keep going back to the Buell, thanks for the input!

lttlbox
08-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Well I got the bike for 5,500. Wanted to ride it home from Tucson but the Arizona Monsoons stopped that idea. But let me tell you the next day, well let me just say WOW. It’s been a long time (10+ years) since I have been on a bike asides from motocross and this bike is a freekin blast. Thanks to all you guys that post on here I got a lot of info that helped me make my decision. Thank You...

user_deleted
08-18-2011, 07:59 AM
that sounds like a screamin good deal at $5500. wish i could have found one here for that price. for what it's worth did you ever comb your neighborhood for garage space for the bike? apartment complexes are notorious spots for local bastard thieves to lift bikes. betting if you check local ads in your paper or just comb the neighborhood for nice houses with large garages and friendly occupants that you might be able to turn up a garage space at a reasonable monthly price. worth checking into.

lttlbox
08-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Looking into it now, for the time being I have it parked rite out my front door and its locked on the rear disk and locked to the stare case pole.