PDA

View Full Version : fire

oh300umadeit
07-16-2008, 01:12 AM
My father was recently invovled in a bad motorcycle accident and his Buell caught on fire and burned to the ground. He survived the accident and is currently going through physical therapy for his repaired hip. My question, "Is this a common problem with the Buell motorcycles?"

Phrogg
07-16-2008, 03:31 AM
I don't want to come off mean or anything, but huh.....WHAT!?!?!?!!??!!?

I wouldn't even worry about the damn bike if that was my dad.....

Anything could really burn to the ground giving the right circumstances. Maybe he punctured the tank and fuel leaked...Then the oil might have caught on fire as well, which would burn and burn and burn....

As far as being a "common" problem for the buell... This is the first accident envolving a bike. That the bike burned to the ground. So I would have to say no. This isn't a common problem for the buell.

BuellPartsGuy
07-16-2008, 04:31 AM
My first question is, what year and model is this thing?

His_and_Her_Buells
07-16-2008, 08:48 AM
I'm really sorry to hear that and I hope your father has fast and full recovery. As far as the bike goes I would have to ask which came first, the accident or the fire? This is only the second time I've heard of a Buell on fire so I don't think it can be considered common. The other one did involve the bike catching fire while riding and then going down.

oh300umadeit
07-16-2008, 11:47 PM
The model is a 2006 ulysses 1200 and the accident came before the flames. A vehicle pulled in front of him and threw him over the top of the bike and car. We are not really worried about the bike but I wanted to know if its a common thing because if it is other riders need to know.

dave_xb12r
07-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Well generally in accident situations, things on the bike have a tenancy of breaking. Maybe its just a buell thing, but there is gasoline in the bike, which in some instances can fuel fires, not to mention the fact that there are some electrical devices onboard that when touched to the right things, could actually start a fire. Buells are definitely the Gremlins of motorcycles. Why they even sell at all, I don't undertand.

LeFox
07-17-2008, 09:48 AM
first thing in accident firemen do is disconnect the battery to prevent fire.

some fuel probably got in contact with something hot like the header or got ignited by a spark.
it happens...not only to buells [smirk]

oh300umadeit
07-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Buell was the only choice he had considering that this whole situation occurred in Saudi Arabia and there is not that big of a selection there except for Harley Davidson and that was not an option