PDA

View Full Version : More Tech Words To The Wise....

BuellPartsGuy
10-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Just a few things I thought of for some of the newbie Buells riders out there. On the XB platform riders, if you are having problems scraping the front of your pipe all up coming down from some front end carrying business I would recommend going with the Screamig Eagle Fork Oil when you do you 10,00 miles service. It tightens up the front end a bit for agressive riding like that so you dont have to crank the preload up so high you blow out fork seals and ding up you expensive pipe. You have to service the forks at 10,000 anyway so just have them throw that in instead of stocker stuff. And while I am still talking about the 10,000 mile service on the XB's, if they try and tell you to "do it the proper way" and replace your front pulley and belt, ask them why and want a reason better then the book says so. I have seen many Buells that come through that dont even need it at 15,000 or 20,000. Its just a factory recommended thing at 10,000 due to under very agressive circumstances the factory saw pulley wear as soon as 10,000. The way you can tell if you need it is if your front pulley is showing some cog wear or the belt is showing wear. Otherwise do everything else they recommend on the 10,000 service. The rest is well worth it in the long run. If you guys have any questions you need answering at all, or can't find something you know they make, let me know. I will do my best to help out with your search and try to get you some answers.

Lets liven up this board and show em that the Buell can fill up the map too.....[smirk]

Start posting pics of your rides and we'll see what everyone is riding.:D

BuellPartsGuy
10-31-2006, 04:08 AM
I kinda have to eat my own words here, but no entirely. My belt broke on the way home from work tonight, right after I got done writing my last post. It wasn't due to my mileage though. I just rolled 10,000 on mine a week or so ago, but I picked a rock.

Damn karma sucks :p lol

2Evil4U
10-31-2006, 03:50 PM
That sucks.

I wondered about that recommendation myself when I was reading the service manual. I generally never replace anything (with the exception of timing belts on interference motors) strictly on a time basis. I always inspect everything to see if changing it is really warranted.

Pictures are a good idea. I think I'll try to get a few up tonight.

For anyone else interested, but looking for a host: www.photobucket.com
is about the easiest free service I've found.

buellxb
10-31-2006, 08:28 PM
I can also host images for anyone on this forum. If you email your pictures to jeremyrde@yahoo.com and tell me what post you want them to be in I will add the images accordingly. I will also create a photogallery of members' bikes if anyone wants to send pics. [up] I used seo-board to create this forum so that it would be fast for dial-up and lower bandwidth users.
http://www.buellxb.com/orangebuell.jpg

BuellPartsGuy
11-02-2006, 01:13 AM
I found a chain conversion set up for a lot better price than the XBRR swingarm conversion set up. This one actually has the adjuster in the idler rather than the swingarm. Pretty trick.... Might have to change over to that considering I am snapping belts lately...[smirk] Wonder how hard it would be to re-gear that set up or if that set up is a higher ratio than stock. Only way I found to re-gear the XB9's is to put a XB12 primary gear set up on it. Never been done that I know of........yet :D

http://www.metaltekracing.com/db/mtcatalog.php?cat=Buell

BuellPartsGuy
11-02-2006, 01:14 AM
I kept searching and found this next one too. More for the performance oriented. This set up is very similar but it includes 4 sprockets to give you the option of re-gearing. Sweetness *drool*

RIPKRL
11-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Hey,

I just bought a 2006 Buell Firebolt 12 so I guess that makes me a Newbie. It is quite a snarling beast (well, at least it sounds that way =) Thanks for the info - I can tell this site is going to be useful.

BuellPartsGuy
11-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Where ya from?

bigt1006
11-20-2006, 02:25 PM
That really does suck that your belt broke dude.

BuellPartsGuy
11-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Breaking a belt is an easy fix. $175 for the belt and it took me maybe an hour in the garage and it was back on the road

BuellPartsGuy
11-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Now today I was pulling into the parking lot at work, and I blew an oil cooler line. It was due to on a prior service (I bought the bike used) somebody removed the clamp in between the two oil cooler lines to hold them apart, so they rubbed together and made a leak. Only a $70 fix, but my bike will be down for the weekend because nobody stocks those. [mad]

maybebuell
11-25-2006, 07:46 PM
thats bogas the belts on the full size Harleys last over 100.000 miles with no problems...have a belt on a 113 ci motor for 6 years now with over 60.000 miles..thats a lot of hole shots....its not the power thats breaking belts on the buells...has to be the design ?

paperclip
11-27-2006, 10:58 AM
The design for sure. The belts are designed around harley engines, while the buell is a sportbike (more or less). The average sportbike rider will put the engine through its paces and will hurt equipment that was otherwise designed for touring.

BuellPartsGuy
11-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Thats just one of the reasons why I would like to convert mine to chain. The belt is nice due to the fact of almost zero maintenence though......

maybebuell
11-27-2006, 09:54 PM
paperclip i understand what your saying but the belts on the harleys are running more hp and torque on a lot of the modified harleys and almost twice the weight...and are riden just as hard.im talking 127 lbs of torque lasting 10 years ..riden hard....10.000 miles on a buell being the average..i just cant understand...the belts i see on the harleys lasting over 100.000 miles dont run that wheel that puts tenchen on the belts...are they needed

seanx1
12-10-2006, 10:29 PM
I have a 2000 Buell x1 and I just got it I went for about 30 mile ride today and when I stopped I noticed that there was oil on the ground, it was coming form the rear shock. My Buell has about 10000 miles on it is this normal and is it fixable????

BuellPartsGuy
12-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Not normal, but a pretty easy and small amount of money to fix. It just blew the oil seal in the shock. Just take it out and have it rebuilt somewhere or take it to any good motorcycle shop and have them do it.

zedman_au
01-15-2007, 09:11 AM
Hey all, I need to replace steering head bearings on my 05 xb12r.(dont know how they could be shagged;)) Wondering if its possible to convert to tapered bearings?

BuellPartsGuy
01-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Never heard or seen anything like that, but I will keep my eye out.

Dillyo_Xb9s
01-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Check out chain conversion topic and reply please.
-Dillyo_xb9s

06xb9r
04-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Hey, speaking of aggressive riding...
I'm having trouble getting a 2nd gear wheelie on my 06 xb9r. Ive tried throttle only, feathering the clutch, leaning back a little.. What gives? Is this normal? I only weigh 135-140lbs.

B_Brad
05-01-2007, 01:28 AM
I have a xb12r and weigh 210 and can wheelie in second with little effort. In second around 40 mph's at about 3000 to 4000 rpm slip the clutch it should come up. I would start slow and practice doing some role-on wheelies before progressing to slipping the clutch throttle control is important. Also when slipping the clutch start easy and gradually build the rpm's until it lifts like you want it to. There are some good videos on google instructing how to do wheelies.