PDA

View Full Version : Any electric gurus out there?

lrholy06
08-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Hey gents, had both the low fuel and engine lights come on and stay on yesterday. Had it checked out and it throws a B1005 code and the onboard diag says
lowfuel
sys err
So, either a chaffed wire or the fuel pump right? Anyway I got going through the electrical manual and it says to check for a short on the D terminal of the fuel pump connection thats under the seat. What will a short show up as?? Will it show power at all?? and am I checking all this with the key on or off??
With the key on I get power but not with it off, then the manual tells you to check for an open, not entirely sure what that is?
Bike still runs great but you just gotta watch the miles between fill up.

freak2180
08-19-2011, 05:47 PM
A short shows up as somthing that resembles a wire that has over heated or a burnt spot on a wire where it has rubbed against somthing that has damaged the outer caseing of the wire itself. Basicly a wire making contact with a ground source where it should not. Im no pro at the electrical side of things so if Im wrong someone please correct me.

anrkizm95
08-19-2011, 06:22 PM
a short will show a sign of the wire,connector or the part over heating sometimes not always.as far as checking it with a meter you can have a shot to ground or a short to power.easiest way to describe an open is a cut wire or a switch turn a switch off you have an open turn it on circuit complete

Dogwood
08-19-2011, 06:47 PM
You can check for continuity with a multimeter. If you're not familiar with that, you put the meter on the ohm symbol. The ohm symbol is Ω. If you need more help, just google it. I'm not sure how the fuel gauge on a Buell works, but it will most likely be a resistance gauge or a 4-20mA gauge. A resistance gauge works by being grounded on one side goes through the gauge where the resistance will change upon how full the tank is and the other side goes to the ECM where it reads the resistance. A 4-20mA gauge will have power in from the ECM, most likely 12v, and a signal return to the ECM where it will read between 4-20mA depending on how full it is (4 for empty, and 20 for full. In order to check for current for a 4-20mA circuit, you must break the circuit and put one lead on each side of the break to obtain a correct reading. My first thought would be looking to see where the wires are going. If one goes to ground, it is a simple resistance gauge and you can check to see if continuity changes when you add more fuel. If one goes to ground, let me know and I'll walk you through troubleshooting it. You can even call me if need be. I'll pm you my number if needed.

RT Performance
08-19-2011, 06:48 PM
wouldn't waste my time it's the sender in the pump. nearly all 1125's do it mine comes on once in a great while but i am tired of poor service at dealers.

lrholy06
08-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks Dogwood! Ive looked around for any signs of bare wires where it could have shorted and didnt see anything. Checked for continuity up to the connector and have good power. Then it says to check for an open but im not sure what the volt meter will read if there is an open, will it just show a zero as if there were no power getting to it?
I do think its just the fuel level sender but would I have to replace the entire fuel pump assembly?

Dogwood
08-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Yeah, if it's open, you'll read 0 because there is no connection. As far as replacing it, I honestly have no clue on that. I'll try to check out how the thing works when I get home so that you can be certain that is the problem before you replace it.. I've been at work for well over 30 hours, so I'm pretty tired, but I'll do my best to help.

boreas
08-20-2011, 03:34 PM
my bike has turned into a electrical issue in the harness 10 weeks in the shop, Im with RT , had it with poor warranty service!!!! Irholy06 keep on it you can probably figure this out before a tech at the dealer could.

lrholy06
09-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Well so far I am pretty sure its the sender in the pump. Does anybody know if the sender part of the pump can be replaced or do I have to replace the entire pump assembly? And if anybody has any info on what other fuel pumps are compatible with mine? I know the CR would but would the lightning's pumps interchange too? Ive been looking at the manual diagrams but am still not sure.

1125rguy
09-07-2011, 10:01 PM
I had the same issue twice. First time it was the clusters fault, second time it was the fuel pumps fault. Either way, it was a pain both times to figure out which end was causing it because it only happened to me when it was cold and during the day in their shop it was always warm. If it is the fuel pump, you need a whole new pump, or at least that's what mine got.