PDA

View Full Version : 08 uly not wanting to turn on. Vid inside. multiple problems, first post

WheelieXB
08-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Well my 08' Started having problems yesterday. If it was my fault it would be because i didn't warm up the bike properly on multiple occasions. Right after taking off I'd usually go on the freeway and ride it normally to work. But 95 percent of the time I warm the bike up for atleast 4 minutes then id take of into high rpms less than 5k mostly all the time though.

Before the bike had this failure the weirdest thing id notice would be that maybe a few times the running lights wouldn't turn on right away after turning the bike on or id do a restart and they'd work fine.

This problem started yesterday when the I was going home and the bike just sputerred a lot at first but after a bit i got home without anymore of that. I got home and the fan only ran for a few seconds. I figured the bike didn't need the fan because i didn't run the engine that hard on this trip. Then Later as I was preparing to leave again I took the bike about three blocks and the check engine light came on the bike to me seemed like it was running fine just that the light was on. Then I got home the fan didnt run. Today now im having the problem on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agaG55_UbFA

There's the video of the bike failing to turn on now. Any ideas what it might be guys? Maybe I can fix it before i take it to a tech.

Another problem is that when I sometimes hit the front brakes a bit hard to stop I'll hear and feel something like a clack noise. I can feel it on the handlebars. Any ideas to what this might be too?

sharur
08-24-2011, 03:13 PM
From what you have described and watching the video, the battery is not delivering enough juice to turn the engine over. Try charging it completely with a charger tonight. Make sure you have the battery contacts cleaned out thoroughly. Another very important failure point is the negative ground connection. Make sure the grounding point and the cable is nicely secure and free of dirt.

For the brake issue, I would first check the rotor visually first, and then by touch. When you "feel" the rotor, try to check for any surface imperfections. Next check the brake pads for wear. If these two check out OK, you need to advance to the caliper itself.

Just my two cents, as I am an amateur just like you. Hopefully, more wisely friends will comment soon.

Iamarchangel
08-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Change your start sequence.

Engine run first, then key on, CEL off, then start button.

I can see arguments coming but, it's air cooled, you don't need a warm up. As long as it won't stall at the first stop sign, it's warm enough.

Putting your gloves on is probably about the right time.

It will fall over in less than four minutes, it doesn't like it.

anrkizm95
08-24-2011, 05:13 PM
low battery,bad starter or connections.have the battery load tested and check battery and starter connections

oisterska
08-24-2011, 06:55 PM
braking noise sounds like a loose/bad neck bearings (steering stem bearings?).

Good luck!

fakameanrepresent
08-24-2011, 07:15 PM
battery?