PDA

View Full Version : Fear of taking hard rights

Lokien
07-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Alright, I got my buell XB12Ss a month ago. The bike literally defines me, suits my body build like no other, and is everything I want in a bike.

Now here's the problem, Ive cornered lefts so hard that my pegs have scraped the floor, and I can do it any day. At this rate, the metal piece on my left boot needs to be changed at least once a month. My tire is completely worn ( not worn but 'used' ) on the left side. My right boot is almost untouched, and the right side of my tire still has just under half an inch to it.

Every time I see a long right turn or fly over (on an empty road ofcourse) I try to ball up and corner hard but I can never do it like my left turns. I thought it was because my country's road rules give me much more practice with lefts (intersections have left turns, roundabouts turn anti-clockwise). But when I tried doing a long right turn when I finally found one, I realized that the problem was from ME. I just cant get myself to lean hard.

What should I do [sad]?

FIDOSOL
07-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Try the same corner, over and over and over, try to make the same line every time, and go just a little faster each time. Maintaining the same line through the curve at a slightly higher speed will make you lean over each time, try not to think about the lean as much, just the line through the curve and speeding up just a tad each time. I did this for about a week in an S-Curve near my neighborhood, 35mph, but. Dragging pegs on both sides turns it into a 70-75 MPH turn... Just Practice, it will come, let me know how it works out for you.

LeFox
07-19-2008, 12:42 PM
relax and ride the bike!
don't try, just relax and go with the flow.

also, it's normal that you corner better on one side than the other, but having that much of a difference is because you're not confident and afraid you'll drop the bike.
that can be a very dangerous feeling, because if something happens, you'll most likely to have panic reaction which results in a drop & slide.

1 month is not long enough to get to learn how a bike reacts.

you can also go and have a track lesson. ;)

Lokien
07-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Fidosol I'll try taking the same line slightly faster each time, we'll see how that works.

Lefox its not that Im trying to force myself into cornering properly, but I'm slightly worried (couldn't find a better word) that I can corner on one side so easily but not the other.

Hopefully I'll get over this with a bit of time and practice.

GatorBuell
07-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Im the same way and like Lafox said its normal, I have read somewhere that's your body's normal reaction because if you are right handed your left hand is in charge on right handed turns. On left hand turns your right hand is in charge and you feel more comfortable. Your dominate side has to give up control to your weak side and it causes hesitation and the lack of confidence. It also has to do with your throttle being on your right. Its all mental and the only way to get threw it is to take it slow and gradually increase your speed until you get comfortable. If you where to go out to a big open field and close your eyes and walk you will walk in a big circle because your dominate side will push you in that direction (thats how you find out witch side is dominate). FIDOSOL should know that from land navigation training.

Lokien
07-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Makes a lot of sense.. I am right handed indeed, and I did think it had something to do with the throttle being on the right side.

On another note, has anybody tried this: Torque Primary Kit (http://www.trojan-horse.co.uk/prods/93.html)?
And any idea if it'll fit on an Ss? Id like just a bit more torque and I don't mind losing top speed. Any cons?

FIDOSOL
07-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Now you see gator.....

Try the same corner, over and over and over, try to make the same line every time, and go just a little faster each time. Maintaining the same line through the curve at a slightly higher speed will make you lean over each time, try not to think about the lean as much, just the line through the curve and speeding up just a tad each time.

I just said a little faster...I had to hit that corner at least 5 times a day just back and forth to work/errands and what not. When I started learning to correct my right lean weakness I hit that corner maybe 10-15 times a day...It does take time or frequency, the reason it only took me a week and not longer is because I did practice that corner so many times.. but yes LeFox is right, which is why I said, a little faster. Thanks Gator, I didn't know about the left hand right hand thing, makes sense though, I'm right handed...

And the LandNav thing, I didn't walk in a circle, I'm legally blind in my Left eye, makes for some interesteing side effects like not walking in a circle, oh and I seem to catch things quicker out of my peripheral vision than most other people I know, reflexes are kinda paranoid too...

burnteyes
07-20-2008, 12:16 AM
im right handed and i go to the right better and i think it easier to control the throttle easier ,but then again im not a very good rider

LeFox
07-20-2008, 12:19 PM
On another note, has anybody tried this: Torque Primary Kit?
And any idea if it'll fit on an Ss? Id like just a bit more torque and I don't mind losing top speed. Any cons?
i got it (ofcourse :p) and i like it.
should be no problem on the ss, since the engine is the same.

cons?
- topspeed wil decrease
- average rpm will be higher when cruising resulting in:
* mileage will be worse
* soundlevel will be higher

Roccodart440
07-22-2008, 01:15 AM
It's normal not to be as goodf at cornering to the right as you are to the left. The throttle is one reason for that.

Try relaxing your outside arma dn let your inside arm do all the steering. You will be very surprised what happens.