PDA

View Full Version : '07 Ulysses electrical/stall issue

webnel
09-03-2011, 04:34 PM
My ’07 motor will intermently stall (on/off very quick) and sometimes the Tachometer meter will jump around with the engine light on too. Seems like it could be head related. The issue will present itself and then just go away for a while. I’ve cleaned-up the ground to the frame and that didn’t help. What could this be? A bad ECM?

Thanks

Iamarchangel
09-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Does the clock reset?

webnel
09-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Apparently the clock did not reset.

webnel
09-03-2011, 04:48 PM
I should also note that getting on the throttle hard seems to possibly trigger the issue.

webnel
09-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Now I have the Tach needle going nuts just after a start and no engine light but rough running. No lights flicker and clock does not reset.

njdevils1990
09-03-2011, 07:27 PM
could be the kill switch is bad?

Iamarchangel
09-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Check the Cam sensor connector wires for worn insulation. It's located in the wiring snake pit behind the pulley cover.

webnel
09-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Check this out. when I tap (with hand) the ECM while running I get the issue. Now I need to figure out if it's the ECM itself or the wires to it.

kill switch was good. Cleaned, relubed.

uly luigi
09-03-2011, 08:55 PM
07 Uly, does it have the upgraded hold down bolt for the ECM, it has a big chunk of plastic to keep the seat from breaking the ecm

webnel
09-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Yes, it has the upgraded hold down.

So, It seems to be pinned down the the wire(s) or connection point(s). It very well could be the black wire with white stripe (has about four wires into one before the EMC). It acts like a kill switch when moved just right. seems to be well connected into the connection harness thing. Maybe it's the pins/male/female connection points? They all look like new. Not sure what to do next. How do you fix something like that?

webnel
09-04-2011, 06:19 AM
Found this topic - I need to somehow fix the female connection pins. Wires near the harness did seem to be at a odd angles cuasing stress. Maybe some kind of electrical conductive compound would help?

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/touring-general-discussions/10308-09-touring-bike-possible-wiring-harness-issue.html

webnel
09-04-2011, 10:25 AM
After research, I’ve found that copper based anti-seize is a good electrical conductive compound. I’ve applied it to the female pins of the ECM (careful to make sure there is no crossing paths from isolated pin to pin). Suddenly all the issue went away and it ran great. Only time and mileage will tell, though. Hope this acts as a permeate fix – if not, the female pin on the harness may need replacement (if I can even find them). Anyway, this does not seem to be one of the common Buell issues and not very known.