PDA

View Full Version : Need some help......

capmorgan
07-22-2008, 12:12 AM
I had just bought a 06 xb12s from the dealer. All they could tell me that it had a jardine exhaust. I asked about 5 times if the bike had been looked at and checked out. I was told yes. About 2 weeks after i got the bike i started to check things out. I had taken off the air box cover and had found a HUGE rats nest and chew marks in what looked to be a pro sires air filter. I also check and found out the bike had the race ecm. So i called the dealer i got the bike from and they couldnt come up with a good reason but said they would put a new filter in. I took the bike down and made sure it was clear that it had a pro sires filter and the race ecm. I also had them put new grips on while it was in. I waited for about 2 hours untill it was done. I had asked the tech that worked on it if he had replaced the air filter with the same kind. His response was yes. I road the bike home and it ran like crap. so i checked the air filter and they had put a stock filter on. I had called back to complane and they said the manager would call me back. The next day I road it to my father house to pick somthing up and the bike wasnt running right at all. Here comes the good part. When i went to leave the bikes throttle response was off. So i gave it gas and the next thing i know the throttle stuck. The bike took off and i had the clutch in and brakeing, when i hit the curb and lost the grip of the clutch. So my options where to hit a tree or lock up the front brake and dump it. I did hit the kill switch but that was right before i went over the top. I had my helmet on but i had to get 6 stiches in my leg and some nasty road rash. But to find out now i have 3 blood clots. 1 in my leg and 2 in my lungs. So now im on blood thiners for a year. So my question is... is the dealer libale cause of the air filter and grips. When you open the throttle and let go it will come back slow. They seem realy gritty. The dealer never told me anything about the bike at the time of the sale. I was told everything had been checked.. Will a stock air filter effect a race ecm?

GatorBuell
07-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Call a lawyer, preferably one that deals with motorcycle accidents. The air filter should have nothing to do with it but the throttle cable and the new grip does.

capmorgan
07-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Is there a time frame that you have to let new grips set before riding. i have heard that you should wait 5hrs.

GatorBuell
07-22-2008, 01:06 AM
If the dealer worked on it they should have test road it before they let you on it. Not sure about the grip wait time but the dealer should know that and be responsible for the proper fitment and workmanship.

TMC
07-22-2008, 01:17 AM
yeah I would def call a lawyer for sure

LeFox
07-22-2008, 09:00 AM
I was told everything had been checked.. Will a stock air filter effect a race ecm?
after they place a new airfilter, especially after a rats-nest [confused] they should check you AF ratio and do a ecm reset

a stock filter on a race ecm will indeed make your bike run too rich, especially when it was fitted & adjusted with the race airfilter.

about the grips...i never let them sit for 5 hours.

mrdozer2you
07-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Did the bike have bar-end mirrors? or the stockers?

burnteyes
07-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Id make them pay for the all to well known sharty service of H/D. Just lucky you were able to get it stopped with only the injuries you got.

shilohsk8
07-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Call a lawyer you have a good case!

capmorgan
07-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all your imput. I still have the stock mirrors. i wanted to change them cause of the vibration.(could never see anything) I had the traction hand grips installed that day. I watched the teck ride the bike out of the shop, ride it 20ft and park it in a parking spot. He never tested it at all. It really sucks that i just gotten the bike. Its still in good shape but i cant ride untill im off the blood thinners. Im looking forward to learing alot on the forum. Spent a few hrs already reading up on stuff. thanks again!