PDA

View Full Version : Surging, stalling, intemermitent engine light???????

BuellyBagger
09-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Went for short ride yesterday, topped off fuel (about half tank) @ a gas station ive never used. Got 91oct. unfortunatly 10% ethanol. Rode 48 miles parked it for the nite road 1 mile to work (all normal) and on the way home for lunch began dying when off throttle and surging, but still idles at a stop. Could be bad fuel???? Help plz

BuellyBagger
09-09-2011, 12:14 PM
all grounds tight strarts up fine speedo and tach all work even when it stalls still at a loss think ill drain the fuel and got get some descent gas.???? ne thoughts????

BuellyBagger
09-09-2011, 12:48 PM
bump

BuellyBagger
09-09-2011, 03:29 PM
tried new fuel and as i feared no luck. engine light on and didnt even make it a 2 blocks and stalling, back firing embarrasement insued. I ordereda ecmspy comm cable. still would like suggestions

anrkizm95
09-09-2011, 03:56 PM
have you checked for codes

BuellyBagger
09-09-2011, 04:03 PM
no not yet was gonna use ecmspy for that but my lovely wife seems to have deleted from my pc. IF neone has link or could email install file to me that'd b swell codyyork_123@yahoo.com

anrkizm95
09-09-2011, 04:08 PM
you can use the jumper wire method to get codes

BuellyBagger
09-09-2011, 04:32 PM
i know, might do that if i get too impatient. i still cantfind a download of ecmspy newhere

rrh481
09-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Ok so I had this problem and I replaced my plug wires and plugs so wabamm it fixed it only for a short period of time then it started happening again so I took it in to Hals Harley here in Wisconsin and they connected it to a computer and put it on the dyno and noticed a bunch of values in the ECM were screwed up from just over time and I've rode it for the past month and everything seems perfect.

BuellyBagger
09-10-2011, 06:29 AM
bump

jjellyneck
09-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Hi rrh481,
Do you know which values in the ECM that the dealer changed? I'm having the same problem and would love to know. (My ECMSpy and cable should arrive in mail next week).
Thanks!

Maser7c
09-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Im also having some surging, stalling, really rough running issues. My xb12ss was running fine, and then all of a sudden started coughing, surging, running EXTREMELY rough, backfiring, etc.

Ive used gas from the place all of the time though.

Put new plugs in didnt change anything. Ordered plug wires today. Both plugs have plenty of spark.

BuellyBagger
09-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Trouble code 11 TPS short to ground. So i guess ill tear it apart and c if theres a bad wire?? dunno kinda flyin by the seat of pants.

rrh481
09-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I'll call tomorrow and ask what values were bad. One of the values went bad due to the cap on the little nipple on the throttle body fell off, but I'll call and check tomorrow.

mumblyjoe
09-27-2011, 08:08 AM
RRH, did you ever get the info from the dealer?

Maser, any resolution to your issues?

Having very similar issues on my 06 Uly. Rides fine for a while, then I get some missing or surging. Mostly happens over 4k RPMs. I back off the throttle and all seems well. I've had a couple of instances where I'm cruising along and get a series of backfires and the engine stalls. I can start it right up and it runs ok though.

I've put 10k on it since it last had a serious service. Could something have wiggled since then to be causing this behavior?

08XB12XTRed
09-27-2011, 08:49 PM
I installed a comfort kit on my 08 XB12XT this summer just after I bought the bike. Papers with the kit said I needed to have my dealer flash the ecm with the latest download because of the reroute of the air. I did this in August, the kid at the dealership had a hard time getting my bike and his laptop to "communicate". He finally got it to work, and the bike runs like crap. Acts cold-natured in the mornings, like a carbed bike, and it makes a lot of breather noise at acceleration, like it's not getting enough air. Also, found oil in the breather element, around the crankcase vents, but I may have had too much oil in it for a brief while. I only run premium gas (92-93 octane) and check the oil regularly. This bike only had 671 miles on it when I bought it this summer, the previous owner had died of something and his widow had the dealer sell it. Any ideas?
Thanks!

BuellyBagger
09-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Its still under waranty take it back to harley

Petrus
09-29-2011, 01:46 AM
weird, in what you describe you would think a earth problem.
No wires rubbing somewhere?

Maser7c
10-01-2011, 07:13 AM
No, I haven't got anything figured out yet. I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and let the local Buell shop find it and fix it.

jjellyneck
10-06-2011, 12:13 PM
I had the same problem and fixed it easily (at least on my bike!). I'm in Austin, TX and the temps have been over 100 degrees most of the summer, and I've been riding in the midst of the heat, often in the city. So I noticed that it began to run as you stated, especially after it had been run and cooled down only for an hour or two (it was still hot). I think that super heat caused the electronics to overcompensate on many fronts, so I ordered the ECMSpy and cable. Did a TPS reset and it runs like a Swiss watch. 2006 Ulysses with 13,000 miles (bought used in early summer).

Applepooh
10-06-2011, 03:58 PM
^^ yup, TPS resets are always a good thing to do if you're having problems... they never hurt.

JimiUly
10-15-2011, 03:29 PM
I just bought my Buell, and on the way to sign some of the paper work I got all of the symptoms listed above on the ride to the dealership. The Hog guys up there hooked up the diagnostic tool, which spit out a faulty exhaust valve code. The flapper door in the exhaust can is driven by a servo motor on top of the air box. They said mine was takking too much voltage to actuate properly, which means it wasn't moving. This is a known problem as I was told that there were factory recalls on them and when mine is replaced they have to send the old one to the manufacterer to examine it. If the valve is stuck open, the idle/mid range operation is not as good as it should be causing rough/surging idles a stalling. The dealer should have mine in 4 days, fixed for free...Hope this helps!

BuellyBagger
10-15-2011, 06:54 PM
glad urs was simple Jimi congrats on the uly purchase. I dont have stock exhaust so not my issue but something to for on those that do[up]