PDA

View Full Version : rear brake is weak

bcbull4
07-22-2008, 07:44 PM
on my xb9s my rear brake is very very weak all of a sudden. i just changed the oil & thought maybe i dripped some onto the brake, but i wiped it all down & the oil would be gone by now anyway. i checked the breke fluid & thats okay. the whole brake assembly shifts a little. the disk & pads are still thick. any ideas? thanks

Thaloc
07-22-2008, 08:17 PM
My rear brake feels a bit weak at times also, I have the 08 XB12R, I seem to notice it more when its 105+ outside.

FIDOSOL
07-22-2008, 08:47 PM
dunno, rear brake is only supposed to be 25%-40% of your braking power depending on your setup but still, I'd have that looked at...My brakes are fine, I checked them on the way home, right behind this asshole in a big truck that doesn't use his 15million freakin' mirrors.

Thaloc
07-22-2008, 09:13 PM
My breaks are good, love this bike in the almost 3 months iv had it iv only locked the back tire up twice.

Bordsnbikes
07-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Bcbull4, if you dripped oil on em it's not very likely you got it off. Oil impregnates brakes really bad and is hard/impossible to get out of them. Take them off and spray them with brake cleaner, that'll be your best chance. It might still be a good idea to replace them though. Have you overheated them really bad recently? That can boil your fluid and get air in it, or just plain ass up the pads.

bcbull4
07-23-2008, 11:57 AM
no i havent overheated them, but i tightened up all the connections last night, seems better. im just not sure b/c i dont hardly use it, i do highway driving mostly & use the engine to help brake when needed. i just know i have locked that back brake a few times, & now it seems softer, i'll take it apart & clean/inspect, thanks.