PDA

View Full Version : 110 leaded race fuel

mrdozer2you
07-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Just like it says, can we run this in our bikes? The BP near me sells this stuff and its 110 octane but contains lead. I have seen guys with bikes using it ( Harleys ). Are there any pros/cons to running it? Or just stay away? It's also pushing $8/Gal

LeFox
07-26-2008, 01:00 PM
thought lead containing fuel was banned all over the world for environmental reasons?! [confused]

and it it's above 98 octane, it also contains ethanol. :o

there are several goals to racing fuel:
- get more hp out or your engine
thanks to the higher mon value, higher compression ratio's can be used in the racing engines.
unless our engine has been changed, this is of no use to buell.
- get a beter burning rate
the ethanol/fuel mixture has a faster burning rate, which gives a better, more efficient burn at higher rpm's.
since buell is a low-rev engine, this is of no use to us.
- cooling
ethanol containing fuel can cool the intake & combustion chambre more efficiently, which creates an environment that is more dense and can pack more air.
more air => more fuel => need a custom remap for sure!
- better energy value
because of better cooling and better AF ratio of the ethanol/fuel mixture, it can burn more fuel, thus creating more power.
more fuel needs more air => custom remap, ram air possibility !

since ethanol contains air, so does ethanol containing fuels. this means you need to richen up you mixture even more...@ 8$ a pop, that will be a nice savings account. :p

so my conclusion would be...
unless you're running a flowed 1425cc turbocharged, custom mapped engine in your buell, i would not recommend using racing fuel. ;)

FIDOSOL
07-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Any idea where I can get

flowed 1425cc turbocharged, custom mapped engine

? Just wondering...I'm making plans for my money, I'm getting deployed next year, and lets just say that most of my friends bought corvettes with the money they saved when they got back stateside...

LeFox
07-26-2008, 01:11 PM
you can have all parts shipped from the netherlands...i'll show you this machine & the techs involved in it ;):D

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/627_20080227144702_L.jpg

FIDOSOL
07-26-2008, 01:18 PM
KK, got some specs on that thing? In all reality I want to get my 9s up to about 140hp and 80ft/lb torque...

06xb9r
07-26-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't think it's good to run leaded fuel in a fuel injected vehicle. If you wanted to run race fuel, someone makes 108 octane unleaded race fuel(forget which company though). Also like LeFox said, I'm not sure you would benefit from using race fuel in your stock bike, sure would smell nice though.

TMC
07-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Do not run leaded fuel in you bike it will eat the injector up and o2 sensors

mrdozer2you
07-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Thought so...I asked there and they said most guys mix it 50/50. They typically dont run it straight, still...probably not worth it then.

FIDOSOL
07-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Hmm, octane booster and premium, if you add enough for about a 20gallon tank then you will get good results...that's what I do, but I do it no more often than 1 out of every 4 times I fill up, cheaper than race fuel too...and you will notice a performance upgrade, but probably more so if you open up the airbox.

LeFox
07-26-2008, 07:00 PM
KK, got some specs on that thing? In all reality I want to get my 9s up to about 140hp and 80ft/lb torque...
nah, due to the fact that they opened their new shop they didn't have time to set it up & run it like they wished.

they had the chance to ran it without fine tuning & rider specific setup and it came in 3rd.
had about a 4g pull at start :o

---------------------------------------------------

on another note, ethanol eats standard rubbers, etc...so you'll need to equip your bike with all needed hardware.

FIDOSOL
07-26-2008, 07:06 PM
on another note, ethanol eats standard rubbers, etc...so you'll need to equip your bike with all needed hardware.

The lower the amount of ethanol the longer it will take, granted IT WILL HAPPEN! It takes a substantial amount of time. Best to listen to LeFox's advice though.

LeFox, got anything to say on the subject of Octane Booster?

Thaloc
07-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Yes plz LeFox, I can only find 92 around here and would put a teaspoon of booster in every fill up but iv heard lots of bad about it so, Iv just been sticking with the 92 and hating it.

teh Nub
07-26-2008, 07:14 PM
You won't see any difference just putting race fuel in your bike. You have to tune your bike for the fuel to see any results (advance timing, more boost in turbo or S/C application) Yes, it is supposed to wear out your 02 sensor faster, but I used tank fulls and tank fulls of 110 leaded Turbo Blue race fuel in my Evo VIII over the course of 3 years and never had an o2 sensor go out.

It's useless on a mostly stock bike until you go with crazy high compression pistons or forced induction. You would actually run rich and loose performance by just putting it in without tuning. From my experience using race fuel, I don't think it would hurt the bike, there's just no advantage to using it.

FIDOSOL
07-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Hey Thaloc, I can say with certainty that adding enough octane booster for a 20 gallon to my tank 1 out of every 4 fillups hasn't hurt it yet, (for at least 2000k) Octane booster is designed to work with modern engines, just not all aluminum ones.

Story time!

My friends wife put an entire bottle of octane booster in her Geo ( the eggy shaped 2 door). It's an all aluminum 3 cylinder, she melted, and I mean that literally, the engine block.

Good thing we're not running an aluminum engine...

LeFox
07-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Good thing we're not running an aluminum engine...
yes we are, just the internal parts are not. :o

LeFox, got anything to say on the subject of Octane Booster?
don't have the need for it since our standard fuel is 95 & 98, which is good enough for the buell.

if your engine is having problems with the 92ron (probably be during summer or when it's hot?), i don't think an bit of octane booster will hurt.
although, this is just a guess!
but i overlooked the manual, it there are no comments on the use of octane booster.

FIDOSOL
07-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Once again LeFox is correct, I should have been more specific, so here we go...

If you are driving a Geo...Octane Booster= Bad Day..
oh and go shoot yourself :p

If you are riding a Buell...Octane Booster= No melted engine parts... and go hug yourself

[up]

FIDOSOL
07-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey Premium Fuel in the states is 93 Octane, not Ron, unless you are out west like california where some of it is only 91 Octane...

Europe ratings are RON
US ratings are RON+MON/2

Typically 93 Octane (US) is comparable to about 97-98 Ron (EU)

Just wanted to put that out there for everyone.

If you aren't running premium fuel in your bike you should be.

The manual says 91 Octane or 95 Ron

OOOOPPPPSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! I should have read my owners manual more carefully...

Do not use race gass or octane boosters. Use of these fuels will damage the fuel system.

burnteyes
07-26-2008, 08:15 PM
if you have cheveron stations in your area try them best running in my bike and around here they carry the highest octain of any station here of 93.

teh Nub
07-27-2008, 01:19 AM
FIDO

Store bought octane booster will only raise the octane 2-3 points. That would make 93 oct into 93.2 or 93.3.... As for the Geo engine melting, I doubt the octane booster had anything to do with it.

If you want something that actually does something get some Toulene, Xylene, or Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE) I know a lot of guys that have been using Xylene for years in their turbocharged cars.

Toulene
R+M/2...114
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane

Xylene
R+M/2...117
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...97.0 Octane
30%...99.5 Octane

Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2...118
10%...94.6 Octane
20%...97.2 Octane
30%...99.8 Octane

LeFox
07-27-2008, 07:10 AM
if your engine is having problems with the 92ron (probably be during summer or when it's hot?), i don't think an bit of octane booster will hurt.
although, this is just a guess!
but i overlooked the manual, it there are no comments on the use of octane booster.

Europe ratings are RON
US ratings are RON+MON/2
Typically 93 Octane (US) is comparable to about 97-98 Ron (EU)
that is what i wanted to point out, cause with 92r+m/2, your engine should have no problem. ;)

also, i would like to point out an error in my posted quoted above...the buell manual does state not to use any octane booster...sorry :o

chase12s
03-28-2022, 02:11 AM
I know this is a very old thread but I figured I would just add to it rather than starting a new one. My shop manual for my 04 xb12r states to use a good quality "LEADED or unleaded" fuel. Why would they recommend leaded fuel for an EFI motorcycle???

Outlaw
03-28-2022, 03:13 AM
No cats.....no problem

Cooter
03-28-2022, 05:07 AM
I keep my leaded gas supply right next to my supply of red paint and asbestos insulation. In 1996.

chase12s
03-28-2022, 08:36 AM
So I guess... misprint? lol

Barrett
03-28-2022, 01:53 PM
No cats.....no problem

Exactly, Josh. Several hundred XB models were exported to and sold in Brazil, where leaded gasoline was widely used during Buell production years. Owners manual fuel reference is more along the lines of "what can be used" as opposed to a "recommendation".

cvc
03-29-2022, 02:55 AM
Lead was also an anti wear additive to reduce valve recession in engines up to the 1970’s