PDA

View Full Version : Mad a Fool of Myslef - need to replace pegs and shifter

zuhl
07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Hello, all. First I would like to say hi to everyone, since this my first post. Just bought an 06 Ulysses Xb-12X, with full luggage set. Anyway, that is the first thing I did to be foolish, because I failed to accept beforehand that this is more bike than I am apparently prepared for. I did not anticipate the raw power of this machine. My previous limited experience on a bike has been on a 500cc Ninja which is a totally different beast. Little 4s don't launch like big twins!

So my problem is that I was trying honest to God to just be careful and ride it from my house to an empty neighborhood (no houses or cars yet, just empty wide streets) to practice on. Well, this monster got away from me and wheelied and set me down directly on my butt. Before I even knew what happened. That was my second foolishness - not fearing the torque!

Anyway, I am fine accept for a little scrape where my jacket slid up my back (thank goodness for gear!). And the bike is mostly fine because it straightened out and fell over in a muddy empty lot next door. It did however break off the shifter and the left footpeg. The guy had installed the frame slide that goes up by the airbox on the tank/frame and that got a little scratched, but that is what it is there for, so I am not too worried about it.

Does anyone know where I can get these parts to replace? I guess I could go to a HD dealer, but I was wondering if there were good resources on the net.

Thanks for helping. I truly love everything this bike is and can do and look forward to "carefully" getting back in the saddle to become proficient at it.

LeFox
07-28-2008, 02:19 PM
1. welcome

2. you're on a great resource now
buell parts @ buellparts.net (http://www.buellparts.net/content-categories/cat-377/buell_ulysses.html)

3. i would check under the slider to see there's no dent. :o

4. ride on & be carefull ;)

Buellysses
07-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Zuhl;

Well, you and I have something in common. I did the exact same thing. Except my bike went ass-over-teacups after i fell off the back.

Keep an eye on e-bay, the only problem is you don't see too many Uly parts. The foot peg of any xb should work (unless you broke the support, that is specific to the Ulysses) I believe the shifter pivot mount is specific to this bike as well.

Sorry to hear about your bike, hope your back on it soon.

-Adam

mrdozer2you
07-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Good time to go aftermarket though now [up]

FIDOSOL
07-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Hey if the passenger footpegs are still on then just use them, I did...fits fine, just can't use the spring anymore.

zuhl
07-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. The luggage rack the guy put on is the only thing that kept the bike from flipping all the way over. Thank goodness I did not have the luggage on it. The rack got a little scraped but not bad. I will smooth it out with a belt sander (it is just aluminum) and repaint it.

I found some hardcore spiked aftermarket footpegs but they apparently dont have the 1" drop that the factory pegs have. But I dont know if I could tell the difference.

I guess I will try calling the local shop to get the shifter. The shifter itself is actually okay (just detached), I just need to linkage rod and the pivot bolt that it mounts to the bike with. I hope like heck that the force that tore it off did not harm the tranny.

ches
05-16-2010, 02:58 AM
GO TO AMERICAN SPORTBIKE THERE CHEAPER MIALING AND YOU CAN CALL THEM

Warlock
05-16-2010, 03:05 AM
The is a 2 year old thread I imagine he has found parts by now.