PDA

View Full Version : think i have a Fuel Problem, bike is jacked up.

2003buellxb9s
07-28-2008, 08:26 PM
I bought a 2003 xb9s from a friend 3 weeks ago that had about 3500 miles on it and hadnt really been ridden that frequently lately. well, i put about 1000 miles on it in the last 3 weeks and friday night it conked out on me. basically i went to leave the restaurant i was eating dinner at and halfway down the block it began to run all choppy before it backfired and died. I could get it to start up again but it sounded really crappy and would idle well below 1000.. then when trying to put it in gear, when i would pull in the clutch and put it in first the fuel pump would start up like it is supposed to when you first turn the key or flip the switch.. when you release the clutch to go to first it would be all choppy then backfire violently before shutting down in just a few seconds. basically that fuel pump noise doesnt stop, it's like it is just trying to keep giving it fuel. what i don't know is if it ISNT getting fuel so it keeps trying to or if it it is getting TOO MUCH fuel and is dying that way. either way i'm so broken hearted i dont' know what to do, first bike..bummed. any help? oh and sorry for the novel.

LeFox
07-28-2008, 11:40 PM
1. hi

2. are you a bit handy & technical?

3 fuel pump keeps going from turn of a key till shutdown. otherwise there would be no pressure.

4. any mods or so we should consider as a possible link to the problem?

5. last service?

2003buellxb9s
07-29-2008, 12:48 PM
1. hello.

2. i'm a bit handy and technical in general but not knowledgeable with regard to engines.

3. that's what i figured, but what then is the "loud noise" that happens when i first turn the key to "on" but before i start it up? or, is it that once the engine is running i just can't hear the noise?

4. as far as i know it's all stock.

5. i know that it had a new battery put in just before i bought it last month but that's all i know.

LeFox
07-29-2008, 01:07 PM
1. hi again :p

2. good

3. pressure build-up by the pump.
fuel needs to be injected under pressure, otherwise it will not ignite ;)

4. is it possible to take some pictures? easy to see if it's stock or not.

5. if it's been sitting a while, it's better to change oil & plugs.
maybe even do a full service/checkup so you know what is in your bike and you are sure you're not doing it any harm riding it.

;)

mrdozer2you
07-29-2008, 01:18 PM
it's better to change oil & plugs.

I was thinking plugs first....I'm not sure how common fuel pump problems are. Plugs are the easiest and cheapest check/fix. Best to start there and then check fuel pressure....LeFox can tell you how, I think its been posted before. Good luck, you'll get it fixed.

LeFox
07-29-2008, 02:52 PM
I was thinking plugs first....I'm not sure how common fuel pump problems are. Plugs are the easiest and cheapest check/fix.
yea, but if it's been standing for a while, like he said in the 1st post...best to change the oil too :p

2003buellxb9s
07-29-2008, 03:10 PM
good points. i am bringing in to a dealer on saturday morning so i will def suggest/request oil change and plug changes.

i thought that since it started up that it was getting spark and therefore the plugs weren't the problem. for some reason since the pump was constantly sounding like it was "building pressure" i assumed that the plugs were getting too much gas and therefore the fuel was the problem and not the plugs.. but i guess it could be the plugs afterall? wow, that would really make me happy if it was something that simple.

shoot i could change those myself sometime this week huh?

2003buellxb9s
07-29-2008, 03:11 PM
oh and what should i take pictures of? i have just a basic side view but it doesnt show much detail.

dans03firebolt
07-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Yes don't bring it to the dealer with all the knowledge of the guys on this site. One of us can help you out before you have to spend a ton of money at the stealership. First off definitely change the oil, plugs, check the air filter, etc. Basic maintenance items. Once that is done if you are still have the problem let us know and we can try to diagnose something else. The rear plug is a bit of a pain to get changed but easily doable by anyone with a little knowledge of engines. Let us know how you make out.

2003buellxb9s
07-29-2008, 03:50 PM
will do, thanks for the encouragement dan. the few friends i do have with any knowledge seem to think that it is a clogged fuel injector or line. i imagine that being something a bit more complicated to fix. i'll go ahead and try the oil and plugs and filter. thanks again.

dans03firebolt
07-29-2008, 04:39 PM
There is no doubt if the bike has been sitting you could have a clogged gas line but that is highly unlikely. I don't think it is a clogged injector either it takes a lot to clog one of those. How long was the bike sitting without being ridden that is the big thing. When I buy a bike the first thing I do is a complete tune up whether it needs it or not I want to know that I am safe on the bike when I ride it. Hang in there you will figure it out just don't bring it to the dealer unless absolutely necessary.

LeFox
07-29-2008, 05:05 PM
go for some better plugs when you change them...ngk iridium or the pro series. ;)

it could be something else, but since it's been standing for a while it's always better to change those things. doesn't cost a fortune and always better for the engine.

the choppy riding & backfire is also an ignition thing.
if it's fuel the choppy effect is a bit softer.

2003buellxb9s
07-29-2008, 05:21 PM
well, it's not really that it sat without being ridden at all, it just wasn't being ridden that much. it was probably ridden as close to a week or two before i bought it but only down the street to put some air in the tires, but like i said it took them 5 years to get 3500 miles then i put 1000 in 3 weeks. i'll try to pick up some plugs tonight or tomorrow.. will i need any special tools to get them off?

also on a side note, is my trying to start it and get it to run the many times i did over the weekend harming it?

mrdozer2you
07-29-2008, 05:34 PM
If you start the bike and stop it frequently ( showing people...short rides..letting people hear it, etc.) theres a good chance that a plug is fouled. These bikes dont like being started and stopped frequently. They need to be run if they're started.

best to change the oil too
Yes, that was already covered before. Always change the oil when you get ANY new vehicle....maybe not new, but new to you :p

2003buellxb9s
07-29-2008, 05:40 PM
makes perfect sense cause since it was my "new little baby" i was showing it to people, they wanted to hear it run, etc. etc. can i get motorcycle spark plugs at a place like AutoZone or do i need to go to a Motorcycle place?

FIDOSOL
07-29-2008, 06:02 PM
You can just order them from the Buell website, and check local bike shops or the Harley/Buell Dealership and see if they have them. Should be able to get them from Autozone but I'm not sure. Check the dealership first.

dans03firebolt
07-29-2008, 06:46 PM
You should be able to get them from Autozone or like an Advanced Auto Parts or something like that. Don't get cheap ones either. I made that mistake and ran $.99 Champion plugs and it ran horrible. I put the Harley Double Platinum plugs in and it runs incredible now. Spend the money on the nicer plugs. If you can get those E3 plugs I suggest getting those they are great plugs.

mrdozer2you
07-30-2008, 12:58 PM
You should be able to get them from Autozone or like an Advanced Auto Parts or something like that.

Yep, they should be able to find the part # for you....but be safe and have one for them to check and cross reference different brands. As far as what works the best....thats a whole new topic ;) NGK's are good and I can even get my hands on some from DENSO [up]

2003buellxb9s
07-30-2008, 06:13 PM
So what exactly should I ask for then? Like, what is the part # I'm looking for?

FIDOSOL
07-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Lightning Performance Spark Plug [32822-01Y] start with that...

here is the NGK (http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder/motorcycles/step4.asp?id=424&type=ir)

and here is the DENSO (http://www.densoiridium.com/find_part.php?tab=2)

I think that the DENSO company doesn't realize the 9r and the 9s have the same motor...they have it listed for the 9r but not the 9s...go figure

2003buellxb9s
07-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Okay, so last night I picked up some sparkplugs (they were out of the iridium so I had to pick up the standard but I figure they will be good enough for now), i also picked up a flex head ratchet, a flexing joint, an extension bar, a gap opener and a spark plug socket seeing as though this is the first time I'll have changed a sparkplug and i dont' have many tools with me. I couldnt find any hose like is suggested but i may try this other store tonight, would i just ask for a piece of fuel hose? I'm excited to give it a try and let you guys know what happens. thanks so much for all your help, i don't feel so alone and helpless anymore.

mrdozer2you
07-31-2008, 01:45 PM
I think that the DENSO company doesn't realize the 9r and the 9s have the same motor..

They're Jap....or they assume we know what we're looking for [up]

dans03firebolt
07-31-2008, 02:08 PM
You really don't need the fuel hose to get the rear plug in you can do it by hand if you have the skill to do it. I can change them now in under 10 minutes from start to finish after doing it 3 times already. I would suggest getting the better plugs when you can and swap them out when you get the chance. The Harley Double Platinum plugs are incredible and I would recommend them to anyone.

2003buellxb9s
07-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks Dan, I definetly will swap out the plugs just want to try to get it running period first then I'll worry about performance. And this is assuming I can even change them myself.. I mean, other then the few threads on here about changing them, are there any other tips you would give?

2003buellxb9s
07-31-2008, 05:47 PM
I can't electrocute myself or anything can I? should I unseat the battery before I start messing with them?

FIDOSOL
07-31-2008, 06:22 PM
You won't catch any electricity unless you try to turn the engine over while your finger is in the freakin spark plug hole.

so....don't try to start your bike in the middle of changing out spark plugs..:D

2003buellxb9s
07-31-2008, 06:33 PM
duh. yeah i thought about it and realized once i take the cable off there is no power to it but coulndt figure out how to delete my post. thanks though.

2003buellxb9s
08-01-2008, 01:56 AM
Okay so it's not the plugs.

swapped em out and same s%%% pretty much. it started up, idled really low and crappy-this time i noticed that every 20 or 30 seconds it would almost rev a little, like i pulled on the accelerator a little bit but i wasnt touching anything, like it was trying to go..also, i felt like i heard a knock or tap in the engine block. i tried putting it into first but as soon as i let off the clutch it died, then wouldnt start back up.

one friend mentioned maybe a vacuum leak?

oh well, at the very least i feel pretty cool that i can change the sparkplugs..kindergarden step one-check!

LeFox
08-01-2008, 08:46 AM
you probably have a leaky inlet gasket.

get it in and let them check your AF ratio.
warn them that you may have a leaky inlet gasket.

2003buellxb9s
08-01-2008, 04:42 PM
well it's in. and i passed along all the info. i'll let you know what they diagnose and charge just bring this all full circle.

2003buellxb9s
08-04-2008, 03:07 AM
they say its the ignition coil part around 50bucks then another 150 labor. i guess if i had a voltmeter or whatever i could have figured that out myself? say they part had to be ordered so i should have her back sometime this week.

LeFox
08-04-2008, 07:51 AM
good that it's only that!

what's 150$ worht of labour in hours?

2003buellxb9s
08-04-2008, 02:44 PM
well, what i'm worried about is that once they replace the coil they will discover there are more problems since i've read that on a thread here before but fingers crossed for now.

and LeFox, where you asking rhetorically to imply it's not that much money when you said:

what's 150$ worht of labour in hours?
or are you really curious how many hours that is? I'll let you know if so

dans03firebolt
08-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Most dealers charge in the area of $85-$100/hr up here in Mass. Hopefully that is your problems and it will be all set when you get it back.

LeFox
08-04-2008, 04:21 PM
or are you really curious how many hours that is? I'll let you know if so
yea...but if going rate is 85$ to 100$/h, then you're ok.

laborrate over here is about 65$ - 70$/h.

fahren
09-04-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm always curious about how in the world the mechanics at a dealership diagnose such a thing. They always pronounce their verdicts with absolute certainty, and then so many times you end up with the problem coming right back... and guess what? It was something else, and so now who is paying for the parts and labor that weren't needed the first time around?!?

It would be good to get a thorough explanation from the tech's as to how they diagnosed the problem. I guess that, like so many other Buell owners, I don't trust the Harley techs as much as I would like to...