PDA

View Full Version : Buell Suspension Settings

mrdozer2you
03-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Ok, so I got my xb 12ss used. I was reading in the manual about the recommended suspension settings. Thats all fine and dandy, but all the turns/clicks they recommend are from factory right? How do I get the bike back to factory settings? And what exactly is a turn/click that they are talking about?

I will tell you what is happening when I ride. It seems that in hard turns I cant get the bike to lay down far enough, because the bike wants to stand back up. So I either have to slow way down for corners, or fight the hell outa the bike to make it lay down. Is this a suspension issue or just my riding style?

DJRYDBRG
03-26-2007, 02:45 PM
you have riden befor this bike right?
you probibly have but alot of people have never heard of counter stearing. turning right on the bars to go left.

kagelos
03-26-2007, 03:27 PM
All the turns they recommend are out from a fully screwed in. So turn the screw clockwise until it stops and then turn the screw counterclockwise the turns specified in the book. A turn is a fully circle, a 360 degrees turn, or simpler the movement a sweep-second will do in a minute (sixty seconds). So if they say 1.75 is one fully and three quarters counterclockwise turns
If they refer to clicks, each click is the knock you feel in the screwdriver while you turn it but I think that Buells only do turn measurement not clicks.
Try checking your tire pressure because low pressure in the frond could do that.
Another reason in really worn tires, or unevenly worn ones (maybe old owner used to drive in highways and your tires are square shaped) Also Do you have the same tire make in the frond and back wheel?
Another problem could be a stiff or damaged steering head bearing
And in the worst case it could be a bended frame or swingarm.
Do you have the same problem in both right and left hand corners?
If you try to change your direction within a corner (go to the inner or outer) with a normal to fast speed does the bike struggles?
I would suggest to go to an authorized dealer other than the bike used to go in the past and have it checked because if is not your riding style and is something with the bike it could be really dangerous.

mrdozer2you
03-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. The bike only has 600 miles on it, and has never been down. So worn tires or damage is highly unlikely. I'm guessing the the suspension is too stiff for me. I will set the bike back to factory settings, and adjust for my weight. Im hoping this will help, if it doesnt, then it just has to be how I am riding. Or possibly it could be just the roads I am riding.(not the best here in Michigan :( ) I'll try adjusting the suspension like you said and see how it goes, and I will ride a few different roads as well.

rgilyard
03-27-2007, 10:13 PM
I have ridden for decades but was very suprised by how much Buells stand up if you brake while turning. I can hear it now, "Shouldn't be braking in curves" but it happens.

amp7
04-03-2007, 03:06 AM
I had the same situation with my XB9. I bought it used and never rode a sport bike in my life.(Two Harleys and dirt bikes) I thougt it was me and a 21deg. front end but I found out different. The previous owner didn't keep up good maint. on the bike. After setting it to the fact. recomendations it still wouldn't handle well.(thought I was going to have to get lessons! an embarassing thought) I talked with a friend who races Ducs and he recomended checking tire pressure and adjust it stiff. Tire was low and cupped,(not your case with 600mi). Cut to the chase. I took it in for it's 5k check(4200mi when I bought it), had a new meat put on the front(the back was replaced by 1st owner), set adjustments by the book then 1/8th loser. The diff. is like fire to ice, it stays down without much counter steer and I sort of shift my weight to the opposite side of the bike in the turn(it's fun). Breaking in turns does happen sometimes with this machine(not with my FXR) and it's forgiving although as rgilyard mentioned, it ain't good. Smooth curves & sticky roads...