PDA

View Full Version : Speeding and You

Thaloc
07-29-2008, 02:00 PM
So looks like we've had a few tickets go out to some members lately(Myself incuded) and I just would like to know how the Police in you area treat/deal with motorcyclist. Especially LeFox, are the cops strict, or more laid back when it comes to motorcycles and speeding/general road rules in belgium?

Also on a side note, in my area if you dont have your two wheeled endorsment they take your bike and you get a hefty fine[down]

TMC
07-29-2008, 02:47 PM
well here the cops like Buells and Harleys it's rare you see one pulled over. Inline 4's are a diff story. Here you 30 days from time of purchase to get your endorsment.

LeFox
07-29-2008, 03:07 PM
depends on who you get...

in my 12year career on 2 wheels i've been pulled over once for soundlevel by some pea-brain rookie that asked me, while standing next to the airbox, what brand of motorcycle it was. so i pointed to the big buell letters on the airbox [smirk]
he then said: 'bule??? you don't see these very often'
i answered: 'nope, but you sure do hear them.'

i had to show him the vinnumber, but he couldn't read it, so he asked if there was a sticker of some sort where he could easily read the vin...i said yep, right next to the vin you can't read http://smile.smilies.nl/1855.gif

wrote me a fine, asked if i had something to add...i said yea, but i'm not going to say it, cause it won't do me any good. :o

otherwise, apart from the occasional speeding ticket, there's no special threatment for bikers or non bikers.

Thaloc
07-29-2008, 03:23 PM
haha thats great.... I guess I had always thought of Europe being more leanient towards bikers. Here in the states is seems there are two kinds of cop; The ones who like bikes but have a job to do. And the ones who think we're all drag racing, cocain snorting, gun running rednecks... Like I just rode off the cover of Easy Rider.... I can just imagine how many times i will get pulled over once I get that Osbe helmet. Ill have to find a DOT sticker to slap on the back.
Washington State btw

dans03firebolt
07-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Cops here in Massachusetts are pretty damn good. I have never gotten a ticket since I started riding bikes in 99. So that is almost 10yrs ticket free.

Buellysses
07-29-2008, 04:56 PM
As I had said in a previous post, I got away with 70 in a 35 without even getting pulled over...

But I did get a ticket when I dumped my bike. So I guess I'm 50-50.

I'd concur with TMC, they seem to leave the "adults" and their v-twins alone and pick on the "kids" with their rockets. I use the terms adults and kids very loosly. ;)

FIDOSOL
07-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Around here it's crazy, cops are almost afraid to pull over bikers because there are so many of us and so few of them, but oh my, don't do 1mph over in a cager, they will have that @$$! Everyone that rides around Fort Knox (with a few exceptions) sticks together, always wave at eachother, check on eachother if someone is stopped on the side of the road. (8/10 it's to make a cell phone call that couldn't wait) I ripped past a cop this morning doing about 80 in a 55 and he just waved at me as I was going from 2nd to 3rd doing a nice long wheelie. (I was running behind on the way to work, I'm a squid what can I say?):D

GatorBuell
07-29-2008, 09:09 PM
I have been riding full time on the street with my own bike since 95 and have never gotten a ticket. I have deserved several hundred but have never even pulled over. :D We've had a State Trouper spin his car around in the road to give chase and several slowed down but he never showed up. But I can say over the last 5 or so years I don't ride stupid anymore. I guess I have too much to lose these days.

As for the police, When you live just outside of one of the Motorcycle Mecca's of the world, Daytona Beach, Motorcycles are so common at times we out number the cars on the road. Not to mention that most Officers around here ride when off duty.

burnteyes
07-29-2008, 09:12 PM
here in WV we dont have to get an endorsment we just have to pay 15%higher insurance [down] There is only 1 place without a 3 hour drive to the uper end of the state that gives the class and its booked 2 years in advanced[down]

FIDOSOL
07-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Not to hate on your state, but that is f*ckt@rded as all hell.

burnteyes
07-30-2008, 12:15 AM
damn wv poorest state but close to highest insurance rate for anything and some of the highest utilities. (cant spell) 100 bucks for water a month for a 2 person household. bah dont get me started fido!!! i plan on moving to ky or oh in a year or so... but i dont wana be one of those buckeyes that cant drive... HAA;)

FIDOSOL
07-30-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm a georgia boy, I got this driving thing down, still working on the driving on one wheel thing though. I'm just stationed here in ky temporarily, I report to Germany in march...I can't wait.

RHYNOXB9R
07-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Well,most of you know my story[smirk]I collect tickets and the points that come along with them:pIt's only money,and you can't take it with you so spend it on what you like best! As for the cops here in Northern Cali,it's a 50/50.You can get a real asshole,or one that is pretty cool.Mind you,they will both give you a ticket(gotta meet their quota)but one may be cheeper than the other.By the way,the speeding ticket I posted about last week,a 80 in a 55,$369.Ouch.[smirk]

buell007
07-30-2008, 02:14 AM
got pulled over on the 12 at 130 am i was on my way home from work they said they had p c to pull me over they said i fit the desciption of a suspect in a tempted robbeery.[mad] well after 2 hrs and a brief look through my bike and back pack . and some choice words they let me go at 330am they treated my like dog poo poo and made some comments about those motocylce riders. that pissed me off and i opened my mouth wich cost me a 120$ ticket for littering. well for the most part the police are nice and hardworking so i understand that they deal with all kinds of people. [smirk] puyallup wa

bitter rod
07-30-2008, 02:26 AM
I love the comments. First off, I am a cop. A few years ago, pre-buell, I was behind a sportbike crew, a guy on a nice CBR pulled a wheelie while shifting, for about a 1/4 mile. I must say, I was highly impressed. I guess I would fall in the category of the cops that like the bikers. Needless to say, I stopped the guy and scared him for a bit. My first question, how long have you been ridding? He said he had been ridding since he was 8 years old, mostly dirtbikes. By then, the crew that he was with had turned around and stopped nearby. My only advise to him was...just stay out of my jurisdiction. I don't want to have to pick any of your skulls up from the pavement. He got a warning.

Another story, 2 nights ago, a few sporkbike guys were parked near a bar and hanging out when they saw 2 douchebags pissing on their bikes. They gave chase, I gave chase....arrested both for disorderly conduct and several warrants. Wasn't so bad though...they pissed on the Honda. I gave the owner some ****, but he had a nice ride with frame slidders and some nice aftermarket parts.

Soooooo, after all that, if you are in Bay City, Michigan...and I stop you...most likely getting a warrant and a few questions regarding your sweet Buell!!!!!![cool]

Thaloc
07-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Awww man no spoiling our thread with your stories about copping it up! :D haha :D Nahh its cool to hear the other side. You city cop, Stater? Sherrif? Have many bikes run on ya? And what would be your departments official policy on high speed chases? :p not that....I...would know anything about those:p

RHYNOXB9R
07-31-2008, 03:49 AM
Hey bitter rod,a cop that rides a Buell,your ok with me.(P.S.-think maybe you could send me one of your cards,ya know,in case I might kinda get pulled over for speeding again[smirk]I'm trying to be a good boy,really:))

bitter rod
07-31-2008, 08:43 AM
Ha ha...Actually I am a city cop. We don't really get a lot of chases, car or motorcycle. We are only allowed to chase if there if they have been involved in a serious felony or something life threatening.

Blackdog
08-01-2008, 05:24 AM
This just happened yesterday in my hick town.

http://www.yakimaherald.com/stories/6313

Thaloc
08-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Your from Yak? Man all us Washington Buellers should get together some time and open'em up.

bitter rod
08-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Sorry guys...just arrested a guy on a harley. He was drag racing drunk. I guess he was asking for it! [smirk]

Thaloc
08-01-2008, 03:48 PM
One less guy that will flip me off when I pass him... Why would he drag on a harley anyway???[confused] Musta got smacked with the ol' Idiot Stick

EVLXB
08-01-2008, 04:24 PM
bitter rod - If you happen to see a black XB9S with a plate that reads EVLXB go easy on him would ya :D

I live in Freeland BTW

RHYNOXB9R
08-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Thaloc,dosen't that piss you off[mad]We all ride the same make bike(more or less,Buells are nicer)but the jerks on the Harleys treat us like we on jap bikes.Is it the half fairings that throw them off,or are they just pissed they bought the Harley instead:pI only wave when waved to.And bitter rod,don't stress,you only put the smack down on a fellow rider that would give riders on a whole a bad rep in the publics eye.Riding drunk is way different than speeding:D

Thaloc
08-02-2008, 04:11 AM
I got used to it, I still wave to every biker that passes but the hard core Harley guys just act like douches. No sweat off my back, like id want to ride with one of them anyway. (they'd just cramp my style)

Blackdog
08-02-2008, 05:20 AM
Thaloc, I'm in Zillah where are you? I have never seen another Buell in this area.

Thaloc
08-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Wenatchee

nserio
08-03-2008, 04:09 PM
I have lived in the middle of nowhere on the American side of the US/Canadian border for 25 years and have collected 2 tickets in those years, actually thats all I've gotten in 42 years of riding. The funniest was when I was pulled over for doing 87 in a 55. The NYS trooper was TOTALLY irate because he thought that I was "running" him. He told me he had chased me for 6 miles, had set up two road block ahead. I explained that I pulled over as soon as I saw his flashing lights. Incredulous that he again reinterated he had chased me for 6 miles, he then stated thats how long it took him to get his Dodge Ram up to 87 mph. Long story short, it cost me $300 and that was 1991 dollars. On the flip side, I ran into two Canadian bikers at a rest area on the 401 (a super highway)in Ontario. When we left the area we rode for the next hour at continuous speed of over 100mph and were never bothered by anyone. Two things to remember; reckless riding will get you stopped every time and cops hate to have to pick up body parts.

bitter rod
08-03-2008, 09:44 PM
bitter rod - If you happen to see a black XB9S with a plate that reads EVLXB go easy on him would ya

I live in Freeland BTW

Consider it done! I will be starring at your bike...not you!

nserio
08-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Here's a funny one. Yesterday my wife and I were out for a ride on some of NNYs best twisties, she on her Duc 620ie and me on my RS1200. Cruising along at 65-70 in a 55, I all of a sudden heard this whistling, whooshing noise to my left (I literally felt like a spaceship was going to whisk me away). As I turned to my left a NYS trooper blew by me, lights flashing, siren wailing. He kept going, so did my wife and I. When we got home, my wife and I agreed that he just did that to scare the crap out of us. I guess I have to spent more time looking in my mirrors.

bitter rod
08-07-2008, 09:09 AM
I doubt he was trying to "scare" you. Maybe just had more important things to do than stop you and wanted you to slow down. But yes, mirrors are helpful when used.[up]