PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Panel Not Working :(

1SexyBuell
07-29-2008, 04:08 PM
[sad] I have an 07 firebolt bought it new... put about 6,000 miles on it... I dropped it once and broke my right front turn signal. it would still work, I just had to snap it back in place... well yesterday it came loose and I snapped it back in. as I was doing so the digital readings on my instrumental panel just cut off... Now my turn signals dont come on, I cant see my milage, and my speedometer and tacometer dont work... I havent checked the fuses yet but does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what to do or what may be the problem?? any advice would be greatly appreciated

BuellPartsGuy
07-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Fuses.....

1SexyBuell
07-29-2008, 04:28 PM
well of course im going to check the fuses... just wanted to see if it has happened to anyone else before and if it can be a problem other than the fuses like bad wires or something...

dans03firebolt
07-29-2008, 04:41 PM
I would have to say that it is more than likely just a blown fuse from the wire grounding out on the bike and you not knowing it. Check those fuses and let us know how you make out.

1SexyBuell
07-29-2008, 04:50 PM
alright I will do that first thing when I get home. Thanks [up]

LeFox
07-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Fuses.....

I would have to say that it is more than likely just a blown fuse
i think it's the fuse :p

mrdozer2you
07-29-2008, 05:37 PM
But whats blowing the fuse? See if maybe the wire has rubbed through, maybe a harness was jarred loose when you dropped and is rubbing somwhere? So yes...check the fuses, if it blows again its a short somewhere ;)

FIDOSOL
07-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Hey make sure you check all your wires for the turn signal and in the headlight assembly, make sure that there isn't any exposed wire. That's the only thing I can think of that would ground it out and blow the fuse. Let us know what you find.

Oh, and if you don't find anything, you might try taking the signal itself apart to make sure everything is good inside as well.

dvers03
07-29-2008, 06:11 PM
sorry to hi-jack but, buellpartsguy will changing out my rear spring with scg spring work? instead of buying the scg rear shock.

dans03firebolt
07-29-2008, 06:40 PM
BPG is on vacation and you won't hear from him. If you have a question for him he said post it and he will get back to you when he returns.

LeFox
07-29-2008, 08:13 PM
sorry to hi-jack but, buellpartsguy will changing out my rear spring with scg spring work? instead of buying the scg rear shock.
now what does a spring have to do with en electrical problem?

burnteyes
07-29-2008, 09:09 PM
bpg isnt even here hes on vacation so he wont find this post... So you might want to ask in the BPG form[up]

1SexyBuell
07-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Thanks a lot, I checked the fuses...it was blown... so I replaced it, but then it blew again... I took off the light and saw an exposed wire inside the turn signal so I replaced the fuse once more and didnt touch the signal anymore... now none of my turn signal lights come on [sad] my Instrument panel works though and I rechecked all the fuses... how would I go about fixing this? is it something I can do on my own? Im trying to save money lol

Buellysses
07-30-2008, 01:21 AM
Make sure you check ALL the fuses. It looks like the Key Switch and ignition fuses are what power the gauge cluster. The Turn signals are powered off the Brake/horn/muffler fuse.

If you replace one but not the others you will have issues.

1SexyBuell
07-30-2008, 01:38 AM
but I did check them all... they all seemed to be fine . I will try to replace the brake/horn/muffler fuse tomorrow [sad]

FIDOSOL
07-30-2008, 01:52 AM
What about the exposed wire? Did you tape it/fix it?...

Buellysses
07-30-2008, 02:06 AM
Sorry, my bad. On second look, it is the accessory fuse that runs the blinkers. power comes from the fuse panel (accy fuse) to the flasher, from the flasher to the switch, switch to the blinkers. If it's not the fuse I would investigate the flasher.

Let me know what you come up with. Sometimes these electrical problems can be a real bear.

LeFox
07-30-2008, 08:35 AM
check the wires, especially on the side it got dropped.

you'll probably have a short somewhere in the blinker wiring.

1SexyBuell
07-30-2008, 04:21 PM
I checked the right blinker and noticed that the wire inside is loose and everytime it touches somethin inside it blows the fuse...Im going to do the one suggestion and tape the loose wire but is that going to get my other blinkers to work again?? all but the front right used to work fine until now [sad] lol Im hoping to resolve this soon because wednesday nights is bike night at Hooters and I dont wanna miss it :D (dont like to ride with no blinkers)

FIDOSOL
07-30-2008, 04:40 PM
If you tape the wire and it keeps it from blowing fuses and replace all the blown fuses it should fix the problem, If not then you have a short somewhere...

1SexyBuell
07-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Ok thanks, Im going to try that when I get home (Wish me Luck) [up]

FIDOSOL
07-30-2008, 04:43 PM
KK, Good Luck man, hope it works out for you, hate it when another biker is off their ride for ANY reason.

1SexyBuell
08-01-2008, 12:56 AM
so I unscrewed the turn signal... saw that one of the wires just wasnt connected so I put it back on... tested the blinkers out and they both worked... (sooo Happy)... well I go for a nice long ride because I havent been on it in so long and as Im heading home, I press my turn signal button and it doesnt work... I look at my instrument panel to see if the fuse blew again but everything else was working fine... [sad][mad] its not just the broken light that isnt working anymore.. its all of them lol this is sooo frustrating and im tryin my best to remain calm but idk what to do besides take it to a dealer which I want to be a last resort [sad] suggestions anyone?

Buellysses
08-01-2008, 02:58 AM
My next step would be to take the front end of the bike apart. There has to be a loose/disconnected/cut/worn wire in there somewhere either open or shorting to ground. If you don't have a service manual I would try to find one, it will show you all of the schematics for the bike. I would also get yourself a digital multimeter, they are absolutely invaluable when troubleshooting electrical issues. (and fairly cheap)

06xb9r
08-01-2008, 03:03 AM
Maybe the flasher or even the switch could be bad from shorting out so many times?
I hate electrical problems, they're hard to diagnose, you seam to go down the line replacing parts and the fix is usually at the end of the line

LeFox
08-01-2008, 09:01 AM
go over the wiring, maybe during your turnsignal repair operation you loosened a connector which came lose during your ride.

Blue70
08-01-2008, 05:07 PM
It's a very simple circuit

OK.. If your gauges, and taillight are working then your fuse is good..

Unplug your left side controls connector, there should be continuity between the b/w wire and the V wire when directional switch is to the left and should be between the b/w and the BN wires when the switch is to the right.. if this checks out plug your switch back in, your switch is good..

So the first place to look is your Flasher..

Check the O/W wire at the flasher to see if you have 12v there with the key in the on position..

If not, you have a cut wire between the flasher and your fuse..
If you do move downstream and see if you have 12v after the flasher (the V/BN wire) if not it's your flasher

If all that checks out it's between your switch and your lights...

or you just need to replace your bulbs..

That will get you started

1SexyBuell
08-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Ok thankyou very much everyone for the advice, I will be trying these suggestions this weekend since I have off... I do have a service manual so that should offer some more help [up]

Macbuell
05-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Hi guys, I was messing around with my headlights under the font fairing, anyways one wire came in contact with the frame, sparked, and now my intruments dont work. No speed, tach, odo... weird thing is my headlights work, turn signals dont. When I put my high beam on the blue light on the cluster DOES work. I checked the fuses in the fuse box and they all looked fine, are there fuses anywhere else that could be causing this? I would really like my tach and speed back! Also, is it not keeping track of miles? I would like that also... Thanks for the help!

steve may
05-02-2009, 09:19 PM
You may have fried it,check out page 7-52 in the service manual.

xtremelow
05-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Damn by the time you figure out the problem it may have been easier to replace the whole damn harness.

I would say it is the simplest problem of all. Patients, just make sure you connections that broke are clean cut and properly sealed.

Shesthebest
07-08-2009, 10:05 PM
I haven't dropped my bike, but while I was riding it my dash lights went out. No speedo, tach, odometer/clock, turn signals. Even the headlight doesn't work, but the high beam works (as does the indicator on the instrument cluster). I've checked all fuses and am having a hard time with the wires. Any suggestions where to start looking. The bike runs so I'm really hoping its not the ECM.

Stevenc150
07-09-2009, 02:27 AM
Shesthebest, Replied to your post in the other thread. It's sometimes best to start your own thread. You'll end up with more replies that way to.

Shesthebest
07-11-2009, 08:42 PM
thanks, now if only i could find that other post. i'm so new to this. [smirk]

Stevenc150
07-12-2009, 05:07 AM
To see all the posts you've made as a member here on BuellXB, just find a post you've made (like the one above) and click on you're member name "Shesthebest". ;)[up] Edit: Here it is (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Troubleshooting/speedometer-problem)