PDA

View Full Version : Neutral light comes on while in gear

Fuquad
07-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Recently, while cruising in 3rd through 5th gear, I'll happen to look down and notice the neutral light is on. while in gear. While moving. Shifting / downshifting does not clear it, but coming to a stop and shifting all the way down to 1st will turn it off.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks!

Buellysses
07-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Umm, what's the policy on links to other forums?

same issue, different forum (http://www.buellforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2128)

It sounds like that circuit is an active-low (meaning when bike is in neutral the switch brings the circuit to ground) My first place to check would be the neutral indicator switch... Not real sure about the diode-fuse thing from the other site, but it worked for that guy.

-Adam

FIDOSOL
07-29-2008, 10:23 PM
hey Buellysses, linking to another forum is just like linking to a parts shop or any other resource.
It's just that, a resource. The vast knowledge accumulated on this forum wasn't gained solely from the individuals registered here. But at least you asked. I'm sure nobody important will mind you linking to another forum to help a fellow Bueller.
And here's your first rep point....

[up]

Buellysses
07-30-2008, 12:03 AM
Fuquad; (nice name =)

Just took a look in the repair manual...

It doesn't specifically state that the circuit is an active low, but since there is only one wire going to it I can assume that it is.

Simple test, unplug the switch. It is located just under the drive pulley towards the front of the bike. You should be able to pull the wire off the switch. (for the love of god, be careful) if light goes out then you have a bad switch. Just to be sure, take a chunk of wire and manually ground the wire you just pulled off the switch. That should cause the light to change as well. If that works, just change the switch and you should be golden.

If that doesn't work then you will have to follow the wire thru the bike and find out where it goes and look for a worn or pinched wire. You are looking for a tan/yellow wire all the way from the switch, goes to the fuse panel then "y's" off to the instrument cluster.

Let us know where you get.

(and thank you Fidosol)

Fuquad
07-30-2008, 04:03 AM
Well, I hope there's no hard feelings about that other forum. I also posted my question there, as I'm just eager to find a resolution.

Buellysses: thanks for checking your service manual. Been trying to get my hands on one, but even the links here are no longer operational.

I will have to try your test. My main concern is that it was a transmission issue. If that's not the case (just an indicator problem, I won't be as worried.

On the service manual... any idea where I can get one?

Fuquad
07-30-2008, 04:05 AM
Additionally on that service manual issue, I have tons of available web storage. If all you guys need is a place to host it, I'd be happy to do so for ya.

- Matt

LeFox
07-30-2008, 09:02 AM
no problem on the link...

as long as it isn't just for advertising, it's ok.
this means that as long as the link, even if it's a brand, has something to do with the actual question, it's no problem.

;)

Buellysses
07-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Matt;
Look on ebay. Picked mine up used for $30.

Fuquad
07-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Looks like I might be hosting the manuals. More info on that later.

On the original issue: drove all the way to work this AM and the neutral light stayed off as intended. I didn't do anything different. Odd.

FIDOSOL
07-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Perhaps a loose connection?

Buellysses
07-30-2008, 09:34 PM
What was the weather like when it acted up?

wetter? colder?

Fuquad
07-31-2008, 03:58 AM
Nah, been super hot and dry here (Colorado).

bcbull4
08-04-2008, 02:31 PM
i wonder if thats the same reason my bike can be in neutral & the light may or may not be on... sometimes going from 1st to 2nd my bike just revs cuz im in neutral, but the light is not on.

firechickenXB9R
08-04-2008, 06:05 PM
My bike does that but if i just tap the shift lever it will come on. its like it is not making contact with the swith fully.