PDA

View Full Version : Bad Accident....

BuellPartsGuy
03-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Well guys just wanted to let you know I went down on my Buell last Saturday night. Went down due to some road debris at about 60 on an on ramp and got some road rash on my elbows and knees and shattered my lower left leg to a compound fracture through the skin. It now has a titanium rod in it. The Buell is totalled and I am finally out of the hospital. I was wearing all the gear, but boots. Jacket was mangled and without it I would have needed skin grafts on my back, gloves were shredded, pants had no knees left and they were double kneed ballistic jeans, and my helmet got scraped up and a big gouge in it from when my head hit the guard rail. I will ride again someday, soon I hope. All I have to say is gear up guys. Spend the money, its worth it. They make hot weather gear too (I was wearing it) so even you warm climate guys don't have an excuse. Check out the jacket pic, $150 and I don't have a single mark on my back other than a bruise from when I hit the ground. I did 80% of the sliding on my back. Well worth it....

http://a159.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/44/l_e0caca1a7737f38779432ba60110ff56.jpg

http://a743.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/54/l_fcefe8303a0856813a452dd9788b30de.jpg

http://a960.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/54/l_be1f1be9bc8e66226f6b4cd93f772e9f.jpg

http://a809.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/46/l_e141f124104dddea95c630898d18b050.jpg

bahamasair
03-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Damn man. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

buellxb
03-27-2007, 02:12 PM
That blows. I'm glad you were wearing a helmet. Is your leg going to be 100% after the recovery? Thanks for the visuals. It has to help others think twice about wearing protection. Did you get any good pain killers? Hope you get well soon.

buellfreak
03-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Sorry to see your leg in such condition.... what did they use to set your fibula back into place? I don't see anything from the x-ray photos you posted. I see a plate w/ screws on your tibia, how long do they expect the plate to stay on? You mentioned you weren't wearing boots, do you think they would have prevented this fracture? Put up more x-rays if ya got em! I wish you a full recovery!

MrOrange
03-27-2007, 02:28 PM
****y... I hope that you have fast recovery...

GMAN
03-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Hey guy, gotta take care man!!!

I hope you recover soon and well!

next time get some boots on, dont do half things...(at least you did)

BuellPartsGuy
03-27-2007, 06:49 PM
I was wearing Harley boots, but they werent technically riding boots, they were a full ankle coverage boot. I broke my leg when I put it down trying not to fall off the bike. Better boots wouldnt have done much other than save me a little road rash on my toe and ankle where it burned through.

They are not doing anything with the fibula. They say I dont need to do anything with it and if the tibia is fixed the fibula will fix itself in time. They are expecting 100% recovery, but we shall see.

buellxb
03-27-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm no doctor, but it looks like your fibula isn't even lined up. Save the photos and make them put it in writing that it will fix itself. You may have a nice malpractice suit. Can you say platinum plated Buell?

07xb12rblack
03-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Awww man sorry to hear the bad news, hope you are able to get back on that pony and ride again!!! Any pics of the broken bike?

07xb12r
03-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Hey partsguy, I'm so sorry this happened to you bud. Thank God it was not worse, thanks to you wearing your protective equipment. I too, thank you for the story and the pictures, to remind me how easy it is to forget consiquensences. I pray for your speedy recovery. Will your insurance cover a new bike for you atleast? I hope so bud, at least they pick up the medical. Not to take away from your story,Sunday I came around some very nice twisties way faster than I should on the street, felt awesome, dragging knee, ect. had about a tenth of a second to avoid a deer right smack in the middle of my lane, mind boggling, over what exactly to do, trying to second guess an animal...I made it. About 5pm, sunny, clear day, going in blind, 3 times the limit, could have been me in the pics bro. Thanks again for the info, take care of yourself, heal fast, summer is around the corner. I know you are a long time rider...how many years? First time down? God bless.

2Evil4U
03-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Dude. That sucks. Glad to hear it wasn't worse. Bikes can be replaced, bones heal and chicks dig scars.

Get well soon!:)

BuellPartsGuy
03-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Insurance is covering everything, bike, me, and my gear :) lol

maybebuell
03-27-2007, 11:25 PM
wish you a speedy recovery BPG ..SORRY TO HEAR THAT NEWS....glad your still with us..I wish you the best,,,,sal

BuellPartsGuy
03-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks all you guys so much for your support. It really means a lot to me. I just hope it doesn't happen to any of you. I wouldn't wish this on anybody.

Yeah I dont believe that, (bone will heal itself ****) either. They said well you dont need it to wlk. Wel I do a few more things than just walk. I was in the hospital down here that is supposedly the best trauma unit around. We shall see.

Yeah I will get a new bike later this summer when I can ride again. It was my first time down but it wont keep me from riding again. Hope fully they come out with some of those changes like the 6 speed and stuff this model year so I can pick one of those up

The way it happened was the back stepped out, ( I think I ran over a couple sections of pipe ) I fell into the throttle, it went into a 12 'o clock wheelie on the tail, thats when I tried to put my foot down and it broke my leg, then it started to tip to the left and then I bailed to the right. I landed on my left shoulder then started to roll. I rolled twice then felt myself it my back so I dug my elbows down so I slid on my back the rest of the way till my head hit the guard rail. The only thing the got hurt that wasnt pictured was a small nick on the frame where the handlebar hit. Thats pretty much why they totalled it. the frame is fine though. Touch up paint would fix it. If you look at the right side you cant even tell its busted up.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r99/Brad_Raph/dabikeofdawreck07005.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r99/Brad_Raph/dabikeofdawreck07001.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r99/Brad_Raph/dabikeofdawreck07003.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r99/Brad_Raph/dabikeofdawreck07006.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r99/Brad_Raph/dabikeofdawreck07010.jpg

onebadblaz
03-28-2007, 01:01 AM
I wish you the best[up]! I know gear helps alot my buddy went down last year and totalled his TL1000R he was doing a second gear stand up wheellie and when he sat it down it went into a death wobble[confused].He went off the side of the road, went to put his foot down and broke his to but then hit a concrete colvert was bucked from the bike.The bike flipped twice and then landed on him and kept flipping! If it wasnt for his Gear he be dead!

GMAN
03-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Lol i felt of my R6 doing a to fast wheelie as well,i also mixed up my feet and leg,but not that bad as you pics,each time a look at em it hurts,glad to hear that you got a good insurance company,now just relax and take you time to cure ur self properly for a 100% recover (if you dont you ll pay later on for not relaxing enough)....

mezap
04-11-2007, 03:36 AM
Wow...I was only gone for a few days and you guys went crazy!!
I am so sorry to hear about your wreck partsguy, but praise God you are here to tell us about it. And, judging by how many hands are pointing in the picture, you have many friends around to help you get around, fetch a beer or some food, fluff a pillow, etc. And to top it off, you have insurance that is going to cover it all. You are blessed, in spite of the bad parts. Hate to see the bike broken. Its a real reminder to some of us who have only been riding a few years that if the big kids can still crash, we better keep our game tight! God speed on your recovery bro. Holler if there's anything we can do for you.

congersCG
06-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Wow! Glad to hear that you made it out of that sh!t with minor injuries, minus the break of course. I most deffenatly ride with my gear. Thanks for sharing you exsperince, hope your back on the road soon.

rtmarsh
06-10-2007, 05:19 AM
you said that the bike was totalled? It does not look THAT bad. Is there something that I am missing? I layed mine down and it looked alot worse, but it was not totalled.

rtmarsh
06-10-2007, 05:22 AM
oh i just saw that your bar nicked the frame... but still

norgetab
11-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Dude,, sorry to see,, hope you recover soon. I had my meeting with the hard surface back in August, i am almost fully recovered.

big b
11-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Hopefully he has recovered since this happened over a year and a half ago.;)

climberfreak
11-24-2008, 02:24 AM
OMG NOT BPG!!!!!

man im feeling ya crashing sucks

you will heal up dont worry i got faith in out 21st century doctors

i think i want some boots now cause if that happened i would be in the same boat

good luck with the healing my friend gods speed

no excuses for being slow on the forum we all know your not riding :p

ROJO
11-24-2008, 06:26 AM
Hope you heal quick dude.

BuellPartsGuy
11-24-2008, 06:42 AM
I have zero faith in these damn doctors. 1 1/2 later and it still hurts daily. No one can seem to fix it. Been to a few different doctors now. If I would have been wearing boots it would have made it worse. Probably would have broke my ankle.

I am riding, have been since last November on a 07 Honda CBR600RR.

climberfreak
11-24-2008, 11:08 AM
lol is it just me or are all of the buell riders stubborn =P

crissy
11-24-2008, 05:49 PM
hope you have a speedy recovery,im lookin for leathers at the mo as im just wearing draggin jeans and a leather jacket,but that looks pretty sore so without leathers!,oooooooo!.all the best anyway.

Thaloc
11-24-2008, 06:19 PM
I have zero faith in these damn doctors. 1 1/2 later and it still hurts daily. When I was 16 I got hit by a car doing 50mph BPG and broke both bones in my left leg, that was 9 years ago and I still feel it every once in a while to this day. Especially in the winter! And when its humid. The docs didnt set my legs str8 but I was young and didnt really noticed till about 5-6 years later when my back/hips started hurting, went to a new doc who told me my left leg is now and inch and half shorter than my right. And if I remember right he told me malpractice has a 4 year limit to it, so if you plan on taking legal action the sooner the better. I now wear and insole in my shoe and that helps.

Edit: And Crissy, I know people will argue this point maybe, but I would go textile mesh over leather. Iv known plenty of people including myself to go down, and everyone says mesh helped them more than leather. Keeps the gravel out MUCH better, its cheaper, but leather is lots warmer in the cold weather. Just my .02

RegulatorMIA
11-24-2008, 08:23 PM
1125r time cough cough... glad to hear you're ok man :D

crissy
11-24-2008, 08:25 PM
if im honest,i do prefer my draggin jeans to leather,they just dont feel as padded as a leather 2-piece but if i wear some jeans under they are easily as warm as my old leathers,im taking my xb12s to santa-pod-dragraceway (uk),on a "run what ya brung" day,for abit of fun really think i'll have to have leathers for it?.should be fun though!

bitter rod
11-25-2008, 08:25 PM
My father-in-law always tells me that its just a matter of time before I go down...all bikers do. Luckily I dirfed a moped last summer, so I should be good for a while.

Hope you are healing up BPG!

XBear9S
11-26-2008, 08:07 AM
Ride fast. Take Chances. Heal quickly...

Robtk! a.k.a. "Special K"

"Stupid is as gearless Bueller does"

--Forrest "Lightning" Gump

Stevenc150
11-26-2008, 02:13 PM
This thread was started in March of 2007.

XBear9S
11-26-2008, 04:16 PM
HA!
Rode fast. Took chances. Healed quickly...

Robtk! a.k.a. "Special K"

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"

---A Late Anonymous Bueller

BuellPartsGuy
11-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Yeah this post was definately resurrected..... [confused]

silverfang
11-30-2008, 02:40 AM
hope you get better soon and are able to get out riding again [up]

RegulatorMIA
11-30-2008, 03:57 AM
well guess who feels stupid now... this guy lol

climberfreak
11-30-2008, 07:35 AM
sweet

BuellPartsGuy
11-30-2008, 06:12 PM
no worries :D

ROJO
11-30-2008, 07:00 PM
So, how did you heal up BPG?

BuellPartsGuy
11-30-2008, 10:14 PM
My leg still hurts to this day on pretty much a daily basis. Can't find a doctor that knows how to fix it either.