PDA

View Full Version : Chrome look

Rifterzs
03-28-2007, 03:11 PM
I am looking to get the Chrome look I saw on one of the Buell motorcycle pictures on americansportbike.com I have thought about buffing down the stock frame and then getting a good polisher to buff out the shine, any suggestions on how to obtain the look?

I'm trying to get this look...
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1_20070805201240_L.jpg

2Evil4U
03-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Phew.

That bike is probably beyond just polished aluminum. That looks like the parts were actually chrome plated.

GMAN
03-29-2007, 08:42 AM
wOW YOU sure you get this look by polishing?Unbelievable...

Rifterzs
04-03-2007, 01:22 PM
no i don't know if I can get the same look I think chrome will be the only way but anyone tried my suggestion? I had a friend say they did it but haven't been able to see pics and don't want to s tart this project without some other opinions.

azsnow
04-04-2007, 01:13 AM
You can get almost a mirror finish by polishing aluminum. Rather this is a chrome or polish job, we don't know. Looks like a chrome cover to me, appears to stop before the neck.

onebadblaz
04-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Its hard to tell from the pic what it is for sure but i know you can get that look from polishing that is if you find a good shop to do it..My buddy had a TL1000R That looked like chrome but it was polished! The bad thing is to keep it that way is you have to keep up on the polishing to keep the luster!I build custom trucks and we have a place in Cali coat some of the wheels that looks like chrome but it more like a powder coat...its called perma-star!
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/onebadblaz/joyridewheel.gif

buellxb
08-06-2007, 03:15 AM
I like the look of real chrome, but I'm not a big fan of the polished look as it seems to get cloudy and needs a lot of attention to stay looking nice.

XBear9S
11-22-2007, 11:18 PM
You can get almost a mirror finish by polishing aluminum. Rather this is a chrome or polish job, we don't know. Looks like a chrome cover to me, appears to stop before the neck.

Actually, if you look at it close, it fades. It doesn't "stop".
One of the guys who rides with us polished his frame and it looks just like this...
I see this one has the swingarm polished too.
That's dedication! Or someone's got a serious OCD.

Mother's Billet Polish will keep it nice for quite a while.
But rebuffing will eventually be necessary.
I'm just not that dedicated...

Robtk! a.k.a. "SpecialK!"

slag kustom
11-23-2007, 03:48 AM
i am doing my bike all polished and there is a ton of prep work. the swingarm has a ruff sandcast texture to it and needs a heavy bit of sanding. not sure how bad the frame is. im looking to buy a used frame and polish it and then switch all the parts.

XBear9S
11-27-2007, 05:09 AM
I was told that the paint comes off in second, but yer gonna need a buffing wheel and a LOT of patience to get the primer off.

Good luck! :p

Robtk!" a.k.a. "SpecialK!"

"A good stoppie vigorously executed right now...
is far better than a perfect stoppie executed next week."
--Anonymous Bueller