PDA

View Full Version : 2004 XB12R Oil Light Came On Then LOUD Knocking

imageauto
08-04-2008, 01:02 AM
Ok im kinda a newbie to the buell scene, my firebolt has 9400 miles on it and the last 4400 I have put on. I was just going down the interstate the other day and all of a sudden the oil light came on so I pulled over the inspect it. There was a really loud knocking noise coming from the engine and it definetly gets louder when the rpm's rise. This isnt no small ticking noise either you can actually almost hear the knocking soud over the drummer exhaust its that loud. Any help is appreciated.

Buellysses
08-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Well as you probably know, oil light+loud knock = BAD NEWS!!!

Check your oil. If there is oil in it, bring it back to the dealer for diagnosis. (unless you are comfortable working on it) Obviously, if it is low/empty add some oil and try it again.

What year is it? Still under warranty?

imageauto
08-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Im pretty comfortable working on it thats why I decided to put a post up here instead of taking it to the dealership first. But there is plenty of oil in it. And also it is a 2004 and its not under warranty [sad]

06xb9r
08-04-2008, 01:21 AM
No leak? If it's not an '08, my guess would be the oil pump gear broke since they are known for that. They sell a hi-performance one.

imageauto
08-04-2008, 01:49 AM
That was going to be my next question because I have came across a couple of other people online with the oil pump gear problem but I just didnt think it would be that loud, would it be?

Buellysses
08-04-2008, 02:42 AM
It being loud isn't a direct result of the broken gear. It is a result of the engine being starved of oil. (I would assume anyway, maybe someone that has dealt with it can correct me)

It looks like you will have to pull the cam cover off, the oil pump drive gear should be attached to that. It should be pretty obvious what is broken.

At this point you are getting into the guts of the motor. If ur going to do it yourself make sure you have a clean garage to work in. Once you take the gearcase cover off you will have to replace the gasket.

The oil pump is on the bottom of the engine.

From the manual;
-remove chin fairing
-drain oil
-remove filter
-disconnect 2 feed lines
-detach return line
-remove 5 mounting screws
-remove pump.

Once again, if the drive gear is broke it should be pretty obvious.

06xb9r
08-04-2008, 03:10 AM
Yes, if you don't see anything obvious outside the engine, check the gear. If it's gone then it doesn't sound good. The knocking is probably bad connecting rod bearings from running without oil pressure

Buellysses
08-04-2008, 03:29 AM
I was kinda thinking the knocking may be from deflated hydraulic lifters. (?) Go after the oil pump, if it's still knocking loud it's (unfortunately) time for a rebuild.

An engine will run for a small amount of time with no oil pressure and not cause severe damage. So unless you drove it home after the light came on, you may be alright. (cross your fingers.)

LeFox
08-04-2008, 12:16 PM
1. do not start it again to hear the noise.
2. keep fingers crossed and hope that if damaged, it is only the drive-gear.
3. open the inspection cover and you should be able to see the drive-gear, push it it 4th gear to see it from on several sides.

if it is worn, get a service manual, a beryllium drive-gear, the necessary gaskets and go to work.

onelogue
08-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Hey I'm having the same problem as of tonight, loud knocking noise came up but no oil light. Taking it to the shop tomorrow. Bike runs and shifts like normal but the vibrating is getting worse. Coming from the crank case (left side loudest). 13,000 miles.

LEFOX HELP, any idea what it could be? Some one mentioned oil pump going bad... or a primary gear going out? [sad][sad]

hula Buell
08-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Good luck Brother....

Stevenc150
08-16-2009, 02:46 AM
A knocking noise from the Left side may be your Primary chain out of adjustment. Adjust according to the manual and see if that helps.

onelogue
08-16-2009, 02:56 AM
Alright just got home. So my primary chain was really loose but the thing that was making the knocking noise was coming from a loose "comp nut". It was the left side of the primary chain and that whole side could move by hand. That was tightened down and now I'm back on the road again. :)

Thank you to Paradise Harley for the quick service and a decent price ($140).

hula Buell
08-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Where is Paradise Harley?

dave_xb12r
08-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Tigard Oregon. That is the most awesome dealership ever. They let me test ride a firebolt a few years ago without a bike license or intent to buy. Fresno CA dealership a few months before refused to even start the bike without me starting paperwork. Paradise Harley is great.

Edit, sorry for getting off track. I do that a lot. [sad]

GSXdoubleR88ciNINJA
08-30-2009, 12:18 PM
imagaeauto

Check that drive gear. Tell me you did not ride home after the oil light came on. If you did... that's not good.