PDA

View Full Version : Ulysses slightly off song

Mito
11-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Hi Everyone, recently brought an immaculate 07 XB12X with 41k on the clock. Been well serviced by a fussy owner. I really like the bike and quite happy with all of the Buell quirks like fan coming on, hot right leg, clattery engine etc, thats what I signed up for. I have noticed that the bike can be a bit off putting with the following:
The bike sometimes coughs and misfires coming off idle like coming away from lights and a bit scary if low speed turning.
Holding a steady speed around 100kph, she gets an intermittent misfire and hunts (surges) a bit. Still quite ridable but feel that the tuning could be a bit better. Absolutely no issues if riding hard and accelerating, just when holding low load.
I also find it quite hard to ride the bike smoothly at low around town speeds, throttle seems overly sensitive. Any thoughts. Cheers, Stu

BKKBuell
11-01-2011, 01:55 AM
you have an endless No of options to overcome this common problem:

1) Race ECM or do-it-yourself-re-map
2) K&N filter
3) Hawk muffler
4) better spark plugs

These will overcome ur issues

uly luigi
11-01-2011, 02:00 AM
Low speed stuuter is generally resolved satisfactorily with "Breather Reroute", the other minor issues can be "Tuned Out" by ECM Spy or Tuner Pro, or for plug and play, an EBR ECM, I have the reroute and EBR options on my '08 and been quite happy with how mine runs

Stevenc150
11-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Like they said, spark plugs (NGK# DCPR9EIX), breather re-route should help. Also here's another mod that tends to help: Ground Mod (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/To-those-with-an-incurable-sputter-in-the-mid-range.).

Here's some How-to you might want to look into: Spark Plug Change (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/General-Motorcycle-Chat/Spark-plug-write-up) and Breather Reroute Mod (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/How-To-Crank-Case-Breather-Mod-with-pics). There's also a vid on here for the plug change.

Without custom mapping like datalogging, it's almost impossible to completely rid the Buell of it's stutter in all RPMs.

BuellyBagger
11-01-2011, 11:00 AM
R the NGK's cheaper than the buell pro-series split v plugs?? i popped a set of da pro series in and they seemed to clean up some of those issues, but they were like 7bucks a piece.

uly luigi
11-02-2011, 10:17 AM
NGK's are a little more costly, I think mine were 9 apiece

rrh481
11-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Ya mine were like 9-10 bucks a piece and well worth it. Pretty sure the majority of the people on this forum run them

oh9bolt
11-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Pretty sure the majority of the people on this forum run them

[up]

BuellyBagger
11-02-2011, 11:06 AM
maybe next time im due 4 a set then

Stevenc150
11-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Don't pass on the NGK's, they're Iridium and are very resistant to fouling when compared with other spark plug metals.

Mito
12-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Hi Everyone, thanks for the input. Im reluctant to do the breather re route as the DIY plumbing looks a bit tacky. What precisely does the re route improve or eliminate???. I have noticed that with the warmer weather coming on, the bike runs a whole lot better on hot 25 degree plus days than on cold days, Any clues. I have emspy so will have a go at data logging and tuning the ecm once I have exhausted all of the obvious options. Sometimes I suspect a loose connection as the bike a big misfire then carries on as usual. Cheers, Stu

Rebel_CafeRacer
12-05-2011, 03:38 AM
I was having misfires and this is what I found.... Not saying that its what your problem is, but it could be.....
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5742_20111119062909_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5742_20111119063037_L.jpg

BuellyBagger
12-05-2011, 11:08 AM
where is that/which harness, cafe?

Rebel_CafeRacer
12-05-2011, 11:45 AM
its the cam position sensor wires on the right side of the motor. The carbon fiber is the chin spoiler. Basically what i am saying is check you cam postion wires, they could cause misfireing. My experance was intermitent misfires, low rpms and cold weather DID increase the frequency. It took me a while to find it, and i was upset that it was so simple. I replaced the plugs, wires, and ignition module before I found it.

nilla
12-05-2011, 12:09 PM
also the 9 primary gearing swap is popular. it will essentially make all your gears lower, and result in smoother and easier slow-speed riding.
best part of all is it requires no corrections to the speedo/odo

bikepilot
12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
I think I would first make sure maintenance is all up to date (clean air filter, etc) then fresh plugs and plug wires, then explore re-mapping the FI. Your symptoms are typical of both failing plugs/wires and a poor FI map (which is typical on many stock bikes, esp. big twins with crude FI systems like the Buell).

Mito
01-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Hi Everyone, looks like I found the source of my slight surging and stuttering. I was out today in 26 degree heat and as has happened once before, the bike refused to start after being parked. As soon as I turned the ignition on, there was no sound of the fuel pump working. A quick wiggle of the ECM connectors and the pump started up and we were away. No sign of any misfiring or surging, especially in that cruising sweet spot of 100-115KPM. This issue seems to be related to hot days. Has anyone experienced overheated ECM's on Ulys?. Cheers, Stu

BuellyBagger
01-04-2012, 07:51 PM
my phantom trouble code 11 seemed to happen when it was hot out. i have since replaced the ecm bcuz the tps was not bad(replaced it to) and i could find no bad wires. According to the service manual the next step is to replace the ecm. Havent rode it yet so dont know if its fixed. I didnot have ne change when i wiggled the ECM connector but thats not to say that maybe they're not similar issues. they're both 07 ulys..

wolfo68
01-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Could also be the intake seals causing issues.