PDA

View Full Version : Buell Top Speed :-)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Firebolt
03-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Whats everybody had their Buell XB up too? I have a 2003 Buell XB9R and I was able to hit 135 mph before I ran out of road. I think I could have got a few more mph until I hit the Rev Limiter. Buell (http://www.buellxb.com)

05xb12r
03-29-2007, 09:16 PM
I have a 2005 Buell xb12r and I've hit the rev limiter at 150-160

onebadblaz
03-29-2007, 09:41 PM
I've had my Buell xb12s at 135 but the wind would like to suck you off the bike!

maybebuell
03-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Is the 5th gear the same on 900 and 1200? 150 160 seems a little high.

bahamasair
03-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Ive had my Buell xb9r up to 135 and there was nothing left. I'd love to get a 6th gear in her.

05xb12r
03-30-2007, 01:55 AM
Well I have a video of me on my Buell with the speedometer shot of me doing 150- 160, not trying to brag at all, but my Buell isn't stock either, the motor I mean, done a few mods...

maybebuell
03-30-2007, 01:58 AM
what rpm is 150 160

07xb12rblack
03-30-2007, 09:59 PM
I haven't had my first oil change yet so I'm still stayin unger 5g's but on my zx11 ninja 194mph clocked by radar. My foot fell off passenger peg and was flapping in the wind like old glory. It took alot just to put it back on the peg.

FrAuStY12r
04-03-2007, 03:23 AM
O5 xb12R,

Unless you've done some final drive/transmission mods, I HIGHLY doubt-- it's impossible that you've gotten to 150-160, WITHOUT blowing up the motor. Also, I don't think the firebolt would be very stable at 150-160, being that it's a semi naked bike, and it's short axle to axle. I know this is a new forum, but I wasn't born last night. Your top speed wouldn't impress me anyway, you passing me in the twisties would. Enjoy.

- I've bounced my 12R of the rev-limiter around 136-138, which is about all the twin can put out. a Sixth gear would be nice for cruising at highway speeds (lower rpm/fuel consumption), but I don't think it would make much of a performance gain since you're still operating with 2 power pulses per rev, as opposed to 4. Also the Buell wasn't designed for blistering speed, it was designed for bottom end, seat of your pants torque, and easy flick-ability. Sorry guys, the production 12's won't be setting any speed records...

05xb12r
04-03-2007, 02:26 PM
well i guess i better show you my video of me doing it then... email me and ill send it to you

maybebuell
04-03-2007, 10:29 PM
screw the video...what rpm

azsnow
04-04-2007, 01:09 AM
Other mods that reduce the rpms or alter the rev limiter would have to be done. I don't care if you are pumping out 1000 hp at the rear wheels, the spark is designed to cut out at a certain rpm. Oh, and BTW are you sure you were reading mph, not kph?

Firebolt
04-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Sorry to burst your bubbles.

"Our production XB9R Firebolt setting a record in the production pushrod 1000cc class"

-Buell XB9R P-P 1000cc class speed record for a production class-144.626 MPH-

Our highly modified Buell XB9R Firebolt setting a record in the modified partially streamlined pushrod gasoline 1000cc class

***Buell XB9R MPS-PG 1000cc class speed record. 169.209 MPH***

Boneville Salt Flats 2004 AMA International Motorcycle Speed Trials.

maybebuell
04-05-2007, 09:17 PM
NOT SAYING you cant drop a ton of money into any bike and make it perform...just saying theres no way in hell.. 05xb hit 150 160....Gee Think his bike is set up like the buell at the Salt flats....I drive a Taurus my cars goes 200 mph like the Taurus in Daytona

azsnow
04-05-2007, 10:18 PM
It helps when you post numbers and stats that you post everything included. Where are the final drive ratios? Let me guess, next thing you are going to say is that this Firebolt was purchased from the dealer, a race kit was added, then you ventured out to Wendover and ran it...Yeah right! BTW, I have ran at the Salt Flats before, and they don't allow stockers on the course without passing a tech test.

FrAuStY12r
04-06-2007, 03:07 AM
Firebolt, I'm not saying it CAN'T be done.

05xb12r : Well I have a video of me on my Buell with the speedometer shot of me doing 150- 160, not trying to brag at all, but my Buell isn't stock either, the motor I mean, done a few mods...

Engine modifications alone don't increase the top speed. I have an XB12R 2005 just so happens.. and I've been to the rev limiter, on both stock/race ecms. Unless he's changed the rev limiter via re-mapping (which if you did, who did it? - I'd like to know), his rev limiter would be the same as mine. I've mentioned it tops at 136-138 clocked by an r1.

Now, an XB9 however could run that fast since it redlines at about 7300 rpm instead of 6900.

05xb12r-

Theres not much you can say to me, to prove it. and for videos, I care nothing about. Show me a dyno chart with a top speed of 150-160 with an XB12R attached from a reputable shop, then I'll believe you. The final drive ratio, and the maximum "safe" rpm of the motor wouldn't get you above 140
Sorry man, just don't see it happening.

And

Firebolt
04-06-2007, 04:07 PM
It helps when you post numbers and stats that you post everything included. Where are the final drive ratios?

Sorry i didn't take the time to look them up, if you care that much i encourage you to do so. But there's something to be said about a "production class motorcycle".

Engine modifications alone don't increase the top speed

Yes they can, and they often do. Unfortunately i never topped my bike out before I added my race kit, but i can tell you for damn sure that before I piped my YFZ450 it topped out at 70-72 mph and after it topped out at 80-82. No REV limiter modifications. Same principle.

Firebolt
04-06-2007, 04:07 PM
It helps when you post numbers and stats that you post everything included. Where are the final drive ratios?

Sorry i didn't take the time to look them up, if you care that much i encourage you to do so. But there's something to be said about a "production class motorcycle".

Engine modifications alone don't increase the top speed

Yes they can, and they often do. Unfortunately i never topped my bike out before I added my race kit, but i can tell you for damn sure that before I piped my YFZ450 it topped out at 70-72 mph and after it topped out at 80-82. No REV limiter modifications. Same principle.

maybebuell
04-06-2007, 10:54 PM
thats because you never could hit the limiter in top gear with the old pipe ,,,,,motor stoped pulling...changed pipe and pull a little more up top

Firebolt
04-07-2007, 01:27 AM
thats because you never could hit the limiter in top gear with the old pipe ,,,,,motor stoped pulling...changed pipe and pull a little more up top

I am not getting any more RPM's than i was with the stock quad. Your right that there is more power on top. Just like on my Buell with a Jardine pipe and race ECM.

maybebuell
04-07-2007, 11:16 AM
only way you go faster is a higher rpm

azsnow
04-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Lost cause...This guy will never accept the laws of Physics, I guess he has found a place in the universe that they don't apply.

FrAuStY12r
04-08-2007, 01:51 AM
No kidding,

Basically what they are saying is.. the More horsepower you have, the faster the crankshaft/primary/tranny input shaft/output shaft/Rear sprocket will turn, without the engine turning more Revolutions in same amount of time. If that were the case, I should be able to put 100 hp nitrous kit on the buell, and get one good solid run of say 190mph.. *contemplates*
This thread doesn't merit my response after this statement...

maybebuell
04-08-2007, 04:43 AM
I tested that theory My buddys bike and my bike are the same everything..except a different motor...im running 118 hp 127 tq....my buddys at 80 hp 80 tq...where both going down the highway at 4000 rpm 90 mph......guess what where side by side..is there anyone surprized by this finding

mezap
04-11-2007, 03:11 AM
I really thought Buell riders were above all of this. Sounds like the same old pissing contests you find at the rice-rocket forums.
I wonder; if you take an XB12s, replace the ecm with a flux-capacitor, fill the tires with helium, and wore a really spiffy high performance leather leotard, would it make Oprah Winfrey less offensive?
(I really don't like her...)

maybebuell
04-11-2007, 10:14 PM
opra,s a bagger

BuellPartsGuy
04-11-2007, 11:10 PM
you know mezap its funny you say that, because there is this trend going around now with people filling their tires with Nitrogen saying that it helps with mileage and such. [confused] I dont know about that...

FrAuStY12r
04-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Nitrogen atoms are larger than oxygen atoms.. Since the air you breathe is roughly 70% nitrogen, the other 30% made up of other gasses i.e. oxygen/CO2/Methane/etc. Since nitrogen's pressure/temp correlation is more stable than that of oxygen/other gasses, they're not prone to increasing pressure at high temps, and dropping pressure at low temps (Think filling tire to 36psi "cold" on a day it's 100* outside, then check that tire when its 25* outside, and it will be lower pressure since the oxygen/gasses lose pressure)

Nitrogen- the pressure between hot/cold is hardly measurable, and it doesn't "leak" out of the microscopic pores/tubes in the rubber as oxygen will do.

maybebuell
04-13-2007, 10:12 PM
so i can get better gas milage over time because of proper inflation of tires...will a under inflated tire in 5th gear going 5000 rpm be the same mph with the correct air pressure

B_Brad
04-13-2007, 11:26 PM
We could squeak a couple more mph's on the top end with the proper tire inflation! Just kidding I couldn't help myself. This thread needs to go away.

XB12R Buelligan
04-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Maybe he has a European model. I'm sure it would do 160
kph easy!

XB12R Buelligan
04-14-2007, 01:32 PM
I'll bet he has flat spots in the middle of both tires because it sounds like he's more into straight lines than twisties. If you are that worried about top end go buy a busa.

buellxb
04-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Ha, I love a good rumble. I hate forums that try to cut posts, delete, or ban members that get into it a little. As long as you can't shoot some one on a forum than my forum will allow most anything that relates to Buells. I still say that settling issues is best worked out by playing 'spank the monkey' on www.goarcade.us. The high score wins. All bullsh!t aside I've cruised at about 150 mph in my '94 police package camaro for almost 20 minutes before. I was on I65 northbound at 2am. No traffic, and thankfully no cops. I had my Honda CBR 600 F4 up to 110 mph and I thought I was going to sh!t my pants. The Honda had full fairings. I would never go over 80 mph on my Buell XB 12Scg Lightning. The wind might rip me off the bike.

mezap
04-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Yeah BuellPartsGuy, I heard something about that as well, but it seems it would wind up being a thorn in the side eventually, once the $$ potential started being exploited. While you can still find free air in a few places, I bet free nitrogen will be impossible to find. I don't mind spending a few bucks here and there, but after a while it gets old, being nickel and dimed to death. Still, its cool to see people being so smart about things. It takes a really bright person to think of things like that!
I wonder if its any more resistant to small punctures? I would freaking love to see someone produce an affordable 10 thousand mile motorcycle tire that would still grip! (hey, if your going to dream, dream BIG! lol)

maybebuell
04-15-2007, 12:44 AM
did 150 once on a honda vf1000r ....can say i remember mush about except looking at the speedo...after 120 mph it all felt the same....watch the vidios on youtube of busa.s doing 170 mph getting up to that speed in no time at all.....just like a strong pull from 70 to 100 now....do the buells pull from 70 to 100 in 5th gear fast I would think that would be one of the strong spots on a buell 12

MrOrange
04-15-2007, 02:18 AM
I had my XB9s at 110 or so today going down I40. I was surprised at how well the bike behaved at that speed. BTW I think it was around 6000 revs, I did not look down at that speed but I remember in the low 5000 range at 90 or so.

do the buells pull from 70 to 100 in 5th gear fast
My XB9 has no problem in 5th gear in that range, I don't think that 4th would have enough revs for 100 especially on a XB12.

azsnow
04-15-2007, 07:19 AM
I have hit the rev around 140 on my nine, and oh yeah the speedo in my Kia reads 160....but I have only done 110.

mezap
04-15-2007, 02:02 PM
maybebuell: What a coincidence. I traded a Honda VFR800 for my XB12! I took that bike up to 130 a time or two, but your right, after 100 or so it all starts to look the same. The thing is, at that speed you are allowed NO mistakes, not even an error in judgement. The bike weighed 580 lbs, so as far as the ride goes that one has probably the best at those speeds, but like Erik Buell says, "How often does the average person go 140 or 150?" That was one of the points he made that sold me on the Buell, and I haven't had ANY regrets. I have so much fun on that bike it blows my mind. If she turns out to be reliable, she can stay forever. (I personally consider the 50,000 mile mark my yardstick, general maintenance excluded) So far its been a great ride. I don't miss going in excess of three digits, didn't do it that much before the buell anyway. 100 mph will get you a ride in a police car, probably a damaged bike when they tow it away, and insurance will become unobtainable. It just ain't worth it, plain and simple. I think if I had to go that fast, I would invest in a track only bike and go to every track day I could afford.

maybebuell
04-15-2007, 02:24 PM
high mph days are over here also...strong pull from 70 to 100 does it for me....love looking at the faces of the metric riders after a strong pull...most dont believe it just happened and the distance you can pull between those speeds can seem like a mile when your behind....i had guys start in 4th gear.. I stay in fifth and still PULL them pretty good....thats whats nice about vtwin power low rpm pulling power

XB12R Buelligan
04-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Buellxb, where are you at? I'm in fort wayne IN. I saw you said something about I65, so I'm curious. Indiana, Kentucky, Tennisee, where?

TheStuffJMI
04-19-2007, 02:08 AM
I just bought an 07 XB12R and I also ordered the D&D Exhaust. I want to make sure I don't need an ECM right now when the exhaust gets here and I try and put it on. I want to make sure it's going to run properly, I'm not worried about perfmormance gains what so ever. Just sound and regular stock performance. I will eventually get an ECM in a couple months. Please let me know if the bike will run with the D&D and no new ECM.
Thanks,
Justin

07xb12rblack
04-19-2007, 04:41 AM
yo justin let me how she sounds. I'm ordering one next week but I'm gonna just do the race ecm and k and n filter. I don't think you have to change them but I want it to run cleaner... No-one seems to have heard the d and d next to a drummer to compare the sounds exept on the exhaust shootout but I can't tell the difference on the comp.

buellxb
04-19-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm in Carmel Indiana, right off of Michigan Rd (421). My Neighborhood is actually at 131st and Shelbourne Rd. My wife is from Fort Wayne. She lived in this little town called Poe. I think the town consists of one stop sign, one retired church, a biker bar, and an old mechanics shop.

TheStuffJMI
04-21-2007, 02:53 AM
Dude, once I put the D&D exhaust on today I couldn't believe my ears. I honestly didn't expect it to be even close to as loud as it is. I absolutely love it and wouldn't give it up for anything else. D&D is the only way to go if you want a deep throat sound.
Justin

slydwazer
04-22-2007, 05:18 PM
WOW!! Bench racing at its finest. Reality is as simple as math and purely dichotomous - right or wrong. Fact: maximum engine rpm (the speed where it hits the rev limiter) divided by primary ratio divided by transmission ratios (secondary ratios), divided by the final ratio (countershaft and rear wheel sprocket) equals rear wheel speed in rpm. Rear wheel circumference of a 180/55/17 tire when new is 77.896 inches, meaning that it travels 77.896" per rotation. Using the required data (primary, secondary, final, and overall ratios) published by Buell (factory service manual), for an '04 XB12S (which is the same for '05 XB12S & XB12R) the following is the maximum speed for all gears for this application.

1st 55.463 mph
2nd 80.647 mph
3rd 104.333 mph
4th 126.438 mph
5th 149.196 mph

The assumptions are that it hits the rev limiter in all gears at 6800 rpm, uses stock gearing, and the rear tire is brand new with no wear. If the tire's tread has worn 3/16" off, it will top out at 148.478 mph. Tire swell is virtually neglible and isn't considered.

Engine mods do nothing to increase top speed IF you are currently hitting the rev limiter in high gear. It will only get you there faster. If you went faster than this, you either - increased the rev limiter speed set point, changed the final drive to a higher ratio (numerically lower), or put a taller tire on the drive axle.

maybebuell
04-23-2007, 02:11 AM
on the highway in 5th you wont pull redline... so that mph will be down...the higher rev will allow faster or quicker 1/4 mile time ..thats probably only in first three gears

xb12Rider
04-25-2007, 01:25 AM
First off I live in new york state I travel to and from cohoes to brooklyn new york. The ny thru way I87 I took my bike up to at least 145mph. I had a go down last july ,a cager turned in front of me causing me to believe I was in peril.( I made the mistake of killing all my time braking points and distance) after the bike was (fixed!) meaning k&n air cleaner,race ecm which is not installed by the way.the bike needless to say goes 150mph exactly at the same time the rev limiter kicks in, for real. Just my two cents. oh going 145mph feels alot like free falling out of a plane it also means that the similarity doesnt end there you cant control any other variable except the speed quotient. meaning back off the throttle before some thing runs in front of your bike LIKE A DEER!

Unekride
04-26-2007, 10:53 PM
138.4 TOP-SPEED. From the dyno at the harley shop I work at. It looks like 140 on the speedo but your full of crap if you think your bike goes 160-170. If you want top speed get a Busa. Otherwise enjoy your bike for what it is, a great handling STREET bike.

TheStuffJMI
04-27-2007, 10:19 PM
I definetly agree with Unekride, I have seen constant dyno's of the Buell Firebolts and I have an 07 XB12R my self... none have gotten up to 150mph.

maybebuell
04-27-2007, 10:38 PM
better chance on a dyno hitting 150.....once peak power is made they shut the bike down... it could be held open untill 150 but whats the point of that..there after hp reading...unless your saying the rev limmiter kicks in at 138

xb12Rider
04-28-2007, 12:55 AM
Dyno... What,....Wait now I am not gonna record this moment because it's way too dangerous. but I will say this I was probably going down hill both time I got her up to speed. cause the bike did suprise me when it hit that speed. Another time I was sprinting past (dead spots) in traffic on the thru-way I passed a car and went on to the next rest stop. This guy walks up and says hey guy how fast were you going back there, I go" look officer"... getting ready to tell him that I got a bad case of the runs,the guy says he's not a cop I say "like 100-120" he goes more like 140-150 cause you passed me like I was standing still. I ask how fast were you going he said 100-110 we both kind smiled at each other like the uneasy smile when you almost get caught screwin your neighbors hot wife, dive out the back window only to land next to the twenty-something year old kid who's banging out the twenty-something year old daughter. We were both wrong and we knew it, so I kept it super legal the rest of the way home...

mezap
04-28-2007, 02:00 PM
dude...are you sure you want to even post that? Forget the *ahem* less than savory analogy's about wives and daughters, but the "this guy told me so" rebuttal is gonna draw more fire than a preacher on oprah! (sorry, really really don't like her...)
slydwazer- you sound just exactly like my CTC instructor! He is a totally brilliant guy who also happens to ride an xb12s. He also used to race flattrack, which your name sounds like you do as well...

Unekride
05-04-2007, 11:44 PM
FOR ANYONE WHO THINKS THEIR BIKE GOES 140+!! You are so full of it. Your last bike (probably a ex250) did stand-up wheelies at 110 mph because you have it on tape. I wish my bike was faster but if you want top speed don't ride a air-cooled pushrod motor. The only bragging rights a Buell has it it is a fun street bike that always puts a smile on your face when you ride it. I don't know if you will have time to read this because you are probably busy pulling away from Rossi in the straights but you need to pull your head out!!!

Unekride
05-05-2007, 12:45 AM
XB12Rider: I was giving you the dyno numbers because they are more accurate then the guy at the rest stop. Plus going that fast on the street is SO dangerous. (I hope you can detect the sarcasm.)

wijjiamxb9r
05-05-2007, 01:59 PM
one time my uncle hit 175 on his buell. he has a blast. he says he uses rubbing alcohaul for gas and olive oil for oil. i highly recomend doing this if u want to go over 130. and like brad said, proper tire inflation.

mrdozer2you
05-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Wow, mine runs on Mountain Dew and only tops out around 165 :p

mezap
05-05-2007, 07:24 PM
wow mrdozer...have you tried sobe or red bull yet? surely good for another 5 mph... provided of course you ARE using the olive oil for oil. Wijjiamxb9r: Will baby oil work as a sub for the olive oil? I was planning to make a salad tonite...may not have enough...[smirk]

Mace
05-05-2007, 08:46 PM
I have had my 07 xb12r bounce the check engine light on me because I had hit the rev limiter at 135 or so. I got scared... the bike was till pulling at that speed too... but the rev limiter was stopping me.

slydwazer
05-05-2007, 08:49 PM
mezap ... thanks for the compliment. :)

TheStuffJMI
05-06-2007, 01:34 AM
Yea I don't know what he was talking about having his blast up to 175. I was amazed he hit that top speed in his blast. I have only gotten my XB12R up to 220 in fifth gear, I run e85 gasoline in my 12R lmao who's he kidding

BadS1
05-08-2007, 04:18 AM
Firebolt,

That record of 169mph was set by a friend of mine. His name is Wes Orloff and I know what the bike went through to get that record. As far as your stock XB9R doing 150 mph you are blowing smoke up everyone's arse.

maybebuell
05-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Bads1 he was blowing smoke up knowones ass but his own :D... im sure your friend stuck a fist full off money in that baby.....Great first post

xb12Rider
05-15-2007, 06:45 AM
I'll set the record straight the buell was going down hill and this time I was looking at the speedo and the top speed is ........138mph.. cause the rev limiter kicked in and it was on open highway pure straightaway no turns and Unekride is most correct

tbramich
05-15-2007, 10:58 AM
first off there is fudge factor- every speedo even digital has it. at 100mph most are off by 5+ mph.
i had a zx10r and it read 105mph in first gear- radar clocked 101 mph. wide open speed runs showed me 188 mph and i hit the governor, radar checked it was only 174mph. so dont believe what your reading off your speedo.

xtremelow
06-01-2007, 05:50 PM
I have had mine to 120mph..........................but no rpm's recorded, no videos, no witnesses, just out having fun. I might try to drive a bit faster but I dont want a ticket going that fast, so it might be a while.

Brandon

Digger490
06-01-2007, 10:08 PM
If you put some stickers on the frame somewhere, you can pick up 3 mph..

maybebuell
06-02-2007, 10:48 AM
I have R&R STICKERS 145 ci...just the stickers i gained 5 mph

chadxb12r
06-02-2007, 11:00 AM
got mine up to 135 , stock , no stickers!!!

buell007
06-04-2007, 05:28 AM
I would like to see the video on you tube of the buell going over 135 because that was about all mine had today and maybe Ill try a couple of go fast stickers;)

zombieBUELLer
06-04-2007, 09:36 AM
i went fast with a girl on the back.. after i pushed her off .. i went faster.. ish .. ha! stickers always work. especially when theyre flames !

hottoddy69
06-04-2007, 09:18 PM
I told myself that I would stay out of this pissing match...It is good reading however.
Here is my testimonial:

'07XB12R approx 135ish on more than one occasion (somewhere between 135 to just under 140mph on the speedo)

Todd.

buell007
06-05-2007, 01:56 AM
yes but did you have any go fast stickers:D:D

Mace
06-05-2007, 11:42 AM
I have to agree with HOTToddy, I have had my 07 xb12r @ 135'ish more than once. Thats when the ECM governer shuts me down... :( no go faster! But it was fun while I was there!

tbramich
06-05-2007, 09:29 PM
i washed and waxed my bike then rain-x 'd the windscreen. took it out on the high way and got it up to 180 or so. i was smoking 600 and 750 jap rockets. it was cool. got clocked by the cops at that speed too but they let me go because they said my bike rocked!!

Das Bolt
06-05-2007, 11:12 PM
What about chrome? Does it increase top speed or just power?

maybebuell
06-06-2007, 03:14 AM
tbramich..I usually look at website motors like R&R 145 CI .....Then I make believe its in my bike..thats how I hit 180 mph

tbramich
06-06-2007, 11:12 AM
i put like 10 stickers on my bike too. i felt the biggest difference after i put the street and competition one on, next biggest improvement was my ebc brake sticker- you got to stop at those speeds you know.

stevensue
06-07-2007, 10:28 PM
I was checking things out today and I found out my Ss was full of piss -- so I went out and rode the piss out of it :D

tbramich
06-08-2007, 02:31 AM
i piss on my bike before every ride so that i can ride the piss out of it. i thought everyone did it.
;)

buell007
06-08-2007, 02:45 AM
I put a target sticker on mine that way it goes faster and i have a target to piss on to ensure proper aim and coverage

DruAdams
06-08-2007, 03:29 AM
i must be getting old, that high speed flying low stuff just doenst hold my interest anymore. I am happy putting along at around highway speeds (+ 5-10) I just cant see the need(desire) to do 130+ on a bike with a 52 inch wheelbase. Maybe on a custom bike with a L-O-N-G wheelbase it would be ok, but the Buells are twisty bikes not designed for balls to the walls straight shots, but then a 'busa wont corner like a buell or stop like one either.

DruAdams
06-08-2007, 03:37 AM
years ago i used to work on airplanes, and i find the sticker comment funny. some of the plane designers came up with small stick on vortex generators, which acually disrupted the airflow and gave you an extra few knots of air speed. I say stickers, but i think they were actually stuck inplace then either rivited or bonded on the wing some other way, either way they made the plane look faster and they actually improved the aircraft top speed and made it look kinda cool too.

tbramich
06-08-2007, 12:19 PM
the vortex generators were 'stuck on' because that was the only way the stc would pass. riveting would compromise structural integrity. - been around a bit also;)

XB12R Buelligan
06-28-2007, 08:53 PM
When I first started trash talking this guy, I had only gotten about 115. Now I know he's right. I smoked a Busa
at 212, Just kidding! I got about 133 with about 150 rpm's to go. 05' XB12R bone stock.(other than new pirelli diablo's. Damn these tires really do kick the **** outa' the stock 208's!)

midlifecrisis
06-29-2007, 07:36 PM
When you pass someone doing 120 while your going 120 it's a relative 240 MPH!!!! It sounds like your on a Moto GP bike too.

xtremelow
06-30-2007, 04:41 AM
135mph yesterday. Not sure how much more it had but it had a little more not much though.

Brandon

buelltool
10-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Hey Buellers....thought I'd chirp in a bit here. Have a 9 and 135 is about it. Up here in the north eh...that's like 215/220 or so kph..(kilometres per hour) Started a "pulley swap" blog....see if anyone's experimented with their final drives. Would love to lower highway revs. Might try a 12 primary engine sprocket.....comments......anyone done this?

NL90
10-04-2007, 03:10 AM
03'XB9S 140 on rev

devildog3042
11-10-2007, 05:10 PM
well today i tapped the rev limiter at 135-ish before i slowed down for a corner and got pulled over by state highway patrol. :(

05xb12r
11-11-2007, 01:56 AM
hit 140 yet again. easy...

XBear9S
11-12-2007, 03:41 AM
OOOH!
A pissing contest!
I love pissing contests...

Top on my '03XB9S was 135- cold, clear, night, 3 mile dead run.
Fully loaded into a 30mph wind just outsida Ft.Davis, Tx, I held 120 for over 30 miles.
I was SOOO proud of her that day.

I know my buds on their mildly modified XB12s have topped 142.
150 doesn't seem too impractical under the right circumstances.
Would like to see the vid of that...

Robtk! a.k.a. "SpecialK!"

black_xb12r
11-20-2007, 03:43 AM
he just doesnt understant especially because im a huge quad freak and do TONS of flat track racing on ice and clay.... on flattrack power is everything and i know for a fact that on a YFZ450 you cant hit rev limiter with a stock pipe.... unless your in neitral or have the clutch in which then whats the point? to sounds like a dumbass? and unless you changed some major gearing on your 450 theres no way you did 70-72 and then 80-82 after a pipe... i have a dyno in the shop where i build quad motors and quad exhaust for a living and ive seen the numbers so you can bull**** all you want but i know the facts i have then on paper!
checkout the some of the stuff for yourself www.rossiereng.com

xb12r05
11-20-2007, 04:58 PM
ive had my stock xb12r flat out several times a day @ max speed downhill even is 220km on the speedo.anyway i have just had exsaust put on and am still waiting for my race ecm,also k@m airfilter put t piece on oil breather hoses n blocked the holes where tey went into air filter now where i live is a fair way away to get it dyno tuned (80km)should my bike b able to b ridden there without doin any damage to the motor or anything else i need to do before i run the bike any advice since theres not many if any blokes that know much about buells around these parts

robk
12-13-2007, 01:09 AM
Ive had my 05 XB9R to about 140 at around 6k in a straight line with hardly any wind, and around 125-130 in a corner with moderate head winds.

robk
2005 Buell XB9R

shortyxb12r
12-14-2007, 01:53 AM
I've had my 04xb12r to 120.My old bike 05xb9r was at 140.

robk
12-15-2007, 02:16 AM
Your old bike never saw that speed with you on it tho LOL:D. Sup man

XB12r05 I rode my bike for over a week or with my race kit w/o the race ECM in it, and it ran fine. We're talkin almost 100 miles that week.

robk
05 XB9R

PAIRTBOW
12-17-2007, 06:47 PM
stock, set up, tuned, n runnin good, my 04 12r tops out the speedo around 160 on the interstate splittin cars :D i kno im a sicko/moron but dont care haha fast is fun but not for buells. buells r for corners

mrdozer2you
12-19-2007, 06:47 PM
my 04 12r tops out the speedo around 160 on the interstate splittin cars i kno im a sicko/moron

Well at least the moron part is correct...160mph? NOT A CHANCE!!!

PAIRTBOW
12-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Dear, MRDOZER2YOU, u r more then welcome to come run with the big dogs partener. if the speedo is correct then ya 160ish. n the moron part is cuz i have a 1yr old son n i do not so safe things on my bike, splittin cars at top speeds, wheelies, n other random stunts, hand stands, n standin on the seat n **** not from lack of intelligence such as liein. is it baby balls or a miniture erection?

mrdozer2you
12-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Well the speedo on my 06 Grand Cherokee says 140mph but it wont come close to that. The speedo on my CBR says 190mph....again..it won't come close. If you hit 140mph on your Buell thats pretty believeable and nobody will call you a liar. But 160mph..thats just plain laughable :D

u r more then welcome to come run with the big dogs partener.

Sweet..maybe if we ride side by side we can get our bikes up to 320mph....I mean if theres 2 of us going 160 well 160 x 2 = 320mph [cool]

I'm done arguing this

Strap a camera to your dash focused on your speedo and hit 160....then again doens't the wind resistance from your big head affect your speed?

PAIRTBOW
12-24-2007, 04:46 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA DICK!! COME GET SOME

mrdozer2you
12-26-2007, 01:08 PM
:D:D:D Im just happy riding my bike in the "REAL" world thanks[up]

PAIRTBOW
12-26-2007, 05:16 PM
haha bro up bro, im dun.

maybebuell
12-27-2007, 04:14 PM
what would the rpm read if doing 160

dmp0001
12-27-2007, 05:04 PM
about 9000rpm lol... I do it al the time on mine too (not even close)

maybebuell
12-27-2007, 05:23 PM
thats why i asked lol.....thanks for reply

jackson08
12-27-2007, 05:32 PM
he said big head:D

PAIRTBOW
12-29-2007, 06:11 AM
haha what ever duuuuuuuudes 5th gear on rev limiter is prolly around 150 or something my ****in bad do u guys have nothin better to ****in dooo? i wish there was a lil smiley face that was wackin off hahahah

mrdozer2you
12-29-2007, 03:20 PM
haha what ever duuuuuuuudes 5th gear on rev limiter is prolly around 150 or something my ****in bad do u guys have nothin better to ****in dooo? i wish there was a lil smiley face that was wackin off hahahah

Another product of the public education system. Not bad for a 3rd grader [up]

buell007
12-29-2007, 05:30 PM
but once again do the stickers help[cool]

PAIRTBOW
12-29-2007, 06:16 PM
n when i gro up i wanna be just like u guys.............................................. ...................not

buell007
12-30-2007, 04:25 AM
;)

dmp0001
01-01-2008, 10:22 PM
it seems you cant prove a point with out some guys getting their panties in a bunch. Its ok you guys probably meant 160 kph, which is only about 100 mph so it is possible. you will catch up someday

PAIRTBOW
01-02-2008, 12:26 PM
haters[down]

mrdozer2you
01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Oh yeah, 160 KPH is no problem, 160 MPH is a completely different story and totally impossible on a stock XB12R.

dans03firebolt
01-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Man I really laugh at these guys that have their Firebolt up to 160 when they don't go over 140. You guys really crack me up. No matter what you do to the motor you won't get it to go any faster than 140 unless you change the final drive ratio lower so it can gain top speed.

XB9R_Grau
03-04-2009, 05:46 AM
140 ish in red line!!! 2003 xb9r

buell racing exhaust and ecu
k&n air filter
and more

Furball
03-04-2009, 06:54 AM
i go so fast on mine i go back in time a little and can smell my own arse crack

Thaloc
03-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Way to bump a year old thread...

tf1175
03-04-2009, 09:32 PM
yeah but since its bumped I will add to it...

I went like 80 mph but that was the day I got it and it was right after thanksgiving....so she has yet to be tested due to the WINTER WEATHER...cant wait for spring!

FIDOSOL
03-05-2009, 05:53 AM
I will be topping mine out on the autobahn, the very first chance that I get, should be around april timeframe. I have to wait for it to get over here first. Sorry for the long absence, been getting situated in my new unit, not much down time.

dave_xb12r
03-05-2009, 06:14 AM
OMG Fido is on! How's Germany?

Furball
03-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Germany is awesome, no joke. I just moved back to the states after spending 5 years there.

glenviper
03-06-2009, 01:54 AM
well i hit mine at 110 here in arizona but got flashed by the speed camera, so i slowed down, those dam cameras are everywhere!!!!!

leadfoot955
03-06-2009, 08:07 AM
i have an 06 xb12 s and i know that it doesnt care if i'm alone or with my ol'lady, it only goes 135-140 bone stock. i would love to have 6th gear. i dont think the little woman would appreciate it,but i wouldnt mind.

john1784h
03-19-2009, 03:40 AM
Recorded by a Florida trooper a little over 1 week ago during Daytona Bike Week 2009, on a completely stock Xb9r I did 115mph. The bike was perfectly straight, no wobble no nothing, i was completely tucked looking through my Wiley X's no helmet, no jacket. The bike had plenty more to go. An hour later when the cop caught up to me and the rest of the boys at Pinups, he asked me where do I get one of those? Gave me a fine and walked away. A 6th gear would be pointless, more weight and i would probably never use it.
:D

truckinduc
03-19-2009, 05:24 AM
^^^^^^^ Not the smartest thing ive ever heard ^^^^^^^

Right around 140 at rev limiter in 5th. Im about 130 lbs in full gear. 03 xb9r with race ecm filter and muffler

1SexyBuell
03-20-2009, 03:18 PM
My 07 firebolt XB12R barely makes it over 110, very quick though (race ecm filter and muffler)

Midnight82
03-20-2009, 10:39 PM
I've done 115 on my 04 xb12r, but I rolled off the throttle because I almost dookied myself when I saw the 5.0, luckily he was going the other way when I passed him, I made a quick exit and never saw the cat again.

Awesomely,
Eric

xb12rnoob
03-21-2009, 06:03 AM
Right around 140 at rev limiter in 5th. Im about 130 lbs in full gear. 03 xb9r with race ecm filter and muffler

130 lbs? How tall are you?

At 215, I may need to go on a diet or invest in some major mods if I want to hit 140!

I've taken mine to 125 on the 101 (between the cameras, Glen!)

truckinduc
03-21-2009, 06:19 AM
im 5 ft 11.

it got to 130 fairly fast. 130 to 138 took about ten seconds. Im thinking 138 was more realistic, cause I was looking at the road and just glancing at the speedo.

Ive done about 190 on a built r1. Top speed is not what im into. I like dragging knee going 100, which the buell Is pretty good at.

zoedogg1
03-24-2009, 05:02 AM
I cant believe this thread still exsists. lol.

Just for record: I GPS my top speed at 138 mph. It was a very long straight of way, and it seemed to take at least 3 minutes to get there once getting on it. Im sure it was much less, which is why I say "seemed". 140? Maybe..what 2 mph anyhow? But 150 to even 160? Not without new gearing, etc. For those of us who know better, we actually get a kick out of those higher numbers and how stupid they sound. What gets me after all this time, is that there has never been even one video link of proof.
Anyhow, I hope this link just disappears into a dark void of nothingness...unless someone is willing to post video proof of Buell speeds equal to or greater than 140 mph. Excluding 1125's of course.[smirk]

john1784h
03-25-2009, 02:45 AM
^^^^^^^ Not the smartest thing ive ever heard ^^^^^^^
haha never said i was too smart. just for the record i will probably never go that fast again, just had to try it at least once.

onelogue
03-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Just the other day I got to get on the bike and without even hitting the rev limiter yet, my '04 xb12r with just a race pipe and K&N filter: I got my bike up to 138/140 mph. Not sure if it had much more to go but for those that still doubt this speed I'll have a video coming soon once the weather gets good enough for me to do this again with a camera.

racepro716
03-26-2009, 12:05 AM
I've read this post a couple of times, never got past the 2nd page for fear of being sucked into a kindergarden class. Who in the hell cares that my bike will do this, your bikes slower than mine bla bla bla. Just wondering, when do we start with my dad can beat up your dad, my dick is bigger than yours bla bla bla. Holy **** people, grow up.

Just My 2 cents, Wayne

Stevenc150
03-26-2009, 02:28 AM
Just wondering, when do we start with my dad can beat up your dad, my dick is bigger than yours bla bla bla.
The "my dick is bigger than yours" thread has already been done here: Oversized Package (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/Oversized-Package) ;)

myronman3
03-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Im about 130 lbs in full gear. 03 xb9r with race ecm filter and muffler
christ man, eat a sammich.

Orion
03-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Unless we are talking about hundreds of pounds difference, minor weight changes would be nearly impossible to notice for any non-pro racer, which is what catagory most likely 100% of the people on this site fall into. Actually, a 200 lb rider would probably feel more comfortable pushing a bike to its limit than a 130 lb rider (nothing personal, just the fact of being able to manhandle a bike at those speeds). Just my input, and I have personally done ~130 on my '03 xb9s with OEM race kit and there was room to grow. I am 180 lbs and 6'3. So most likely my bike would top out at ~140 to 150.

Anyone claiming higher than the manufacturer stated top speed of something like 150 mph does not undestand engine mechanics and gear ratios. One could have 600 hp but extremely small gears and top out at 40 mph. Its called physics/mathmatics.

03Firebolt9R
03-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Quote:
^^^^^^^ Not the smartest thing ive ever heard ^^^^^^^ Truckinduc

haha never said i was too smart. just for the record i will probably never go that fast again, just had to try it at least once.

I think he was referring to your not wearing any gear. Not the speed. [confused]

Recorded by a Florida trooper a little over 1 week ago during Daytona Bike Week 2009, on a completely stock Xb9r I did 115mph. The bike was perfectly straight, no wobble no nothing, i was completely tucked looking through my Wiley X's no helmet, no jacket.

truckinduc
03-28-2009, 06:54 PM
ya, No gear = no brain.

xb9r WILL NOT IN ANY WAY go over 140 with stock gearing.

at 130lbs I feel very comfortable at those speeds.

maybebuell
03-28-2009, 11:08 PM
well dont forget wind resistance most probably all will stop before there max rpm in top gear

1001yos
03-29-2009, 04:30 AM
Physically speaking

Ek = ((1/2)m)v^2

Ek = kinetic energy (joules)
m = mass in kilograms (rider + bike)
v = velocity in meters per second

adding or taking away weight won't contribute to any substantial acceleration or top speed since the Ek is proportional to half of the weight. What makes the major difference is the velocity since it is an arithmatic progression (exponential progression) The key is to reduce the speed of the wind (tucking in creates shorter path of wind) or increase the top speed of the pistons (blow your motor)

Top speed is like Limbo. A nice place to visit, but a place you never want to stay at.

horseplay
03-29-2009, 09:29 AM
I havent read through all of these posts. Did anyone mention "true speed" versus "indicated speed"

Theres no doubt in my mind that if a Buell can reach a true speed of 135 mph that the speedometer may ACTUALLY read 150+mph.

There is sooo much error in motorcycle speedometers at higher speeds its ridiculous. Especially with variables like tire wear.... 10% error in speedometers on bikes is actually low
:)

(I read the first couple pages and Im responding to that...sorry if Im off subject)

GatorBuell
03-29-2009, 03:09 PM
I havent read through all of these posts. Did anyone mention "true speed" versus "indicated speed"

Theres no doubt in my mind that if a Buell can reach a true speed of 135 mph that the speedometer may ACTUALLY read 150+mph.

There is sooo much error in motorcycle speedometers at higher speeds its ridiculous. Especially with variables like tire wear.... 10% error in speedometers on bikes is actually low

I was just about to say the same thing.

(I read the first couple pages and Im responding to that...sorry if Im off subject)

maybebuell
03-29-2009, 03:27 PM
horse good point i was told speedos on motorcycles are off 10 15 percent over 1000 mph buells get no wherer close to 140 ...just think what there speed is in a quarter mile and that at redline in 4th gear maybe 110 112 mph.....so 5th is no way going to pull another 30 mph

driftingswiftly
03-30-2009, 05:51 PM
1001yos, you were close with your lecture on the physics of a buell, but not quite right. This system has nothing to do with energy. Yes, it has kinetic energy, but kinematics and dynamics are what determine the potential for top speed. In short, drag is the dominant force to be overcome.

Drag = - .5*roe*Cd*A*v^2 where roe is the density of air, Cd is the scalar coefficient of drag, A is the reference crossectional area, and v is the true velocity of your XB.

Weight has NOTHING to do with top speed, only acceleration. Given a long enough straight away, and identical conditions, every person on this forum will eventually reach the same speed. Tucking (reducing the crossectional area) is the only thing that you can to do actively alter a given bike's top speed.

Of course there are a myriad of minor affects that weight will come into play for, but these are a difference of 1 or 2 mph, not the decades you are all talking about.

In short, this should be modeled with force balances, not energy balances, and accordingly, weight plays no role in the dominant contributions.

onelogue
03-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Drag = - .5*roe*Cd*A*v^2 where roe is the density of air, Cd is the scalar coefficient of drag, A is the reference crossectional area, and v is the true velocity of your XB.

Weight has NOTHING to do with top speed, only acceleration. Given a long enough straight away, and identical conditions, every person on this forum will eventually reach the same speed. Tucking (reducing the crossectional area) is the only thing that you can to do actively alter a given bike's top speed.

Hey drifting swiftly, what about friction between tire and road or are you assuming it's in the same for all bikes in this case. Also wouldn't you have to concider wind resistence, or is that part of the coefficient of drag?

driftingswiftly
03-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Wind resistance is part of the true velocity. It is not taken with respect to the ground, but the surrounding air. And friction b/w the road and tire does not affect it b/c they are not moving with respect to each other (that is the point of contact of the tire with the road).

onelogue
03-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Velocity = distance/time. In your equation, velocity is just standard (ignoring wind resistance) wind resistence has to come into place somewhere.

driftingswiftly
03-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Drag is wind resistance....in a sense that is the only thing that comes in.

Furball
03-31-2009, 03:42 AM
Die thread DIE!

Buell_Cru
03-31-2009, 03:54 AM
Heres how fast your Buell is,

Weight: Speed:
150 140
160 139
170 138
180 136
190 135
200 134
210 133
220 132
230 131
240 130

THE END!!!!!!:p

driftingswiftly
03-31-2009, 03:04 PM
this empirical?

1001yos
04-01-2009, 01:33 AM
to drifting swiftly

As far as I'm concerned, The thread just started as soon as you (we?) posted

driftingswiftly
04-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Haha I agree!

xtremelow
04-02-2009, 12:11 AM
I have had my bike up to 300mph multiple times......

Some of these speeds are a joke. I highly doubt a stock bottom end or geared Buell can do 160mph, they are just not designed for straight line speed.

xtremelow
04-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Oh, also wish for the thread to die before the 7th page although I just added fuel to the fire.

Highjack????

Stevenc150
04-02-2009, 02:25 AM
This Thread = http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/clipart/beatdeadhorse.gif

zoedogg1
04-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Zzzzz Zzzzzz Zzzzzz

onelogue
04-02-2009, 05:42 PM
lol Stevenc150 I couldn't agree with you more!!!
Lets forward this thread to the Jap bike forums

xtremelow
04-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Then you would really get some crazy speeds on here

1001yos
04-03-2009, 01:52 PM
One time I travelled so fast that I actually went back in time.

driftingswiftly
04-05-2009, 02:15 AM
Not possible.

dave_xb12r
04-05-2009, 03:12 AM
Not possible.

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it! Didn't your parents ever tell you that? That's how I became a super hero anyway.

ncbuell1452
04-07-2009, 01:37 AM
I have an 03 xb9r with race kit and have had it to 140 with a passenger with throttle to spare......

fbmbmx
04-07-2009, 02:30 AM
So... anyone who has the XB12R Firebolt... I'm quite interested in buying one... should I???[confused]

steve may
04-07-2009, 02:59 AM
Yes,I've ridden A handful of 600s and litre bikes,but to me,my 06 XB12R is super rider friendly.I wouldn't trade it for any of them.And check out some of the other posts for possibilities on upgrades and customization.

1SexyBuell
04-07-2009, 04:00 PM
LOOOOVE my XB12R Firebolt, I suggest buying that, or even the new 1125CR [up]

morehpforme
04-08-2009, 05:34 PM
I have an 03 xb9r with race kit and have had it to 140 with a passenger with throttle to spare......

...... downhill with a tailwind.

FIDOSOL
04-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Ya'll keep in mind that there is a substantial HP/TQ difference FROM THE FACTORY. In cars it has been found to have been as much as 5-15 hp differences. So in a bike it could be similar. Thus accounting for some of the discrepencies found here. Also keep in mind that not all Speedometers are as accurate as they should be. Once again, this occurs most often FROM THE FACTORY..

Stevenc150
04-09-2009, 12:58 AM
They've beat this subject to death, it's not about HP/Tq, like Dan said WAY back
No matter what you do to the motor you won't get it to go any faster than 140 unless you change the final drive ratio lower so it can gain top speed.

driftingswiftly
04-09-2009, 01:14 AM
Fidosols right. There are factory differences in all vehicles.
Stevenc150 simple physics shows that there are MANY ways to make something cut through the atmosphere better. Gearing will make you go faster, but that is by no means the only way.

apex12r
04-09-2009, 01:31 AM
So... anyone who has the XB12R Firebolt... I'm quite interested in buying one... should I???

Most definitely should. I love my Firebolt. Do the research, head to a dealer and get a feel for the bike. And also check out the 1125R while you are there :D

PorcelainRabbit
04-13-2009, 08:01 PM
my 2002 x1w (1203)

vance and hines exhaust
race ecm
forcewinder2 air intake
carbonfiber undertail / fender elim kit
led billet turn signals
led tail light
chrome belt guard
etc (cant remember it all)

click on my name for pics...( i think you should be able to see them)

had it TOPPED OUT at 135 nothin left.

keep in mind this was a tuber so a little heavier, but i weigh 155 so ya kno

i dont really care who believes me or not cause i kno its true and i have noone to impress or prove anything to, just tryin to share some usefull info

maybebuell
04-14-2009, 01:10 AM
rabbit sound right to me...did it pull redline in top gear or fall short

PorcelainRabbit
04-14-2009, 04:41 AM
it didtnt bounce off if thats what your askin, it just was simply wound out at about redline, i dont really remember, been a while. mighta been just short of redline idk tho, dont quote me on that

veeemdoubleu
04-30-2009, 10:43 PM
so took my bike on atlantic city expressway, 2005 XB12R with race exhaust. bike topped out at 138 MPH my buddy in SV1000 and GSXr 750 confirmed it. 138 guys thats it. I dont wanna hear anymore BS. stock xb12r = 138MPH
by the way I weight 175lb. end of discussion.

go out and ride and enjoy this beast. its not a BUSA its a BUELL.

dave_xb12r
04-30-2009, 11:16 PM
Fido said it already. Speedos can be off from the factory. Some as much as 10%, at 140mph, thats 14 mph in either direction! You could actually be going only 126mph!

I DON"T CARE WHAT YOUR SPEEDO SAYS! Pic's of the radar gun or it didn't happen!

/thread

vanson1200r
07-04-2009, 07:19 PM
There is also spedo error. My Kawasaki ZRX1200R spedo read 170 but my GPS was reading 150.1 MPH. That was PLENTY fast for me. I doubt once I do get my XB12R I will ever take it to top end but I will try my best to wear down the peg feelers though:) Oh also my Triumph Thruxton 900 jetted and piped hit 125 but I was tucked in tight for that run. Also noted you run out of gas real fast at that speed! (Dont ask me how I know please)

Nuage420b
01-11-2010, 02:46 AM
Will this make page seven?
7?

xtreme6669
01-11-2010, 03:01 AM
lets see if I can make page 7:

Just to keep the horse beating going... I have had my 1125cr over the 150 mark on several occasions but have not topped it out to the limiter yet.

Nuage420b
01-11-2010, 03:23 AM
Damn I was so close. My buddy rode my bike while I was in Iraq ( I let him only because he has the money to replace it and a bike for me to hold onto until he does) and he proceeded to tell me how much fun it was ( he rides an HD ultra classic) despite it being a dinky goofy looking bike. He also informed me of hitting around 167 on a very steep downhill stretch. He's my best friend and I couldn't bring myself to call him out on his bull****. I've been trying to convince him to buy a Buell. He says he would never but he sure has no complaints when he hops off after a ride.

xtreme6669
01-11-2010, 03:25 AM
Your a good friend... I would rub his nose in it if he was my friend... LOL

GSXdoubleR88ciNINJA
01-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Top speed thread again ....

138MPH on the GPS. 143MPH indicated. That means 138MPH. Stock REV limit on XB12, pretty sure the XB9 tops out the same.

delta one
01-11-2010, 08:53 PM
you would be correct sir

about 130 indicated with a touch more to go on the tack so I would say about 135 indicated.
Im not high tech enough to have GPS[confused]

buelladdicted
01-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Tachometer on an xb is analog,although not perfect,its more accurate the the speedo.An xb12 w/ stock gearing and 180/55 17 tire,does the following speeds at the given rpms in 5th gear:3000=61.3,6000=122.6,6400=130.8,6500=132.8,66 00=134.9,6700=136.9,6800=139.0,6900=141.0,7000=143 .0,7100=145.1 if you really want to know actual.this is as close as youll get without a calibrated digital speedo.

TooFst
01-15-2010, 12:16 AM
I was told lightnings were a little faster then firebolts(top speed) cuz less wind resistance. Makes sense to me

GSXdoubleR88ciNINJA
01-15-2010, 12:23 AM
How do you figure a MORE naked bike has LESS wind resistance? Also both bikes have the same engine and complete drive train. Make sense of that.

TooFst
01-15-2010, 12:30 AM
So a big wide pick-up truck would have less wind resistance then a small car with no body panels?

GSXdoubleR88ciNINJA
01-15-2010, 12:43 AM
I thought you brought up air drag. Have you ever seen a wind tunnel? Know anything about streamlining?

Air drag is exponential. A ball twice the size of a box will have less air drag.

"hyabusa are BIG and slow, NINJA 250 is small and fast"[confused]

GSXdoubleR88ciNINJA
01-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Oh, by the way Air drag doesn't have any thing to do with the Buells top speed. Last time I checked it still beats the rev limiter in 5th will I'm sitting up in the 140mph wind blast.

TooFst
01-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Yea I realize that. I wouldn't quite call a lightning a square box!! Bye

buelladdicted
01-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Most bikes with quarter fairings are a few miles an hour faster than there naked models.ea:svs 650 6mph faster than sv 650,kz550 4mph slower than gpz 550.Its decieveing,the size of the streemlineing means less than its shape.

Lohani
01-15-2010, 03:15 AM
anyone have any thoughts on...
http://www.trojan-horse.co.uk/prods/93.html
extra accel, lowered top end
its what all my i4 friends seem to be spazzo over... any buellers use this?
general comments on it/the idea of it?

fahren
01-15-2010, 03:51 AM
Trojan make good products, but you have to remember that their principal market is the UK, where the Buells that got shipped there and to Europe got European gearing, different than US gearing. One of the top mods over there is to switch to US gearing.

1SexyBuell
01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
if the lightnings had better wind resistance then why didnt they use those to race with? because you dont tuck down as much as you would on a firebolt you'd have more wind resistance caused by your body... the front end of the firebolt was aerodynamically made for cutting through the wind

Lohani
01-15-2010, 02:25 PM
fahren, oooOOOOOOoooooh ok then :) thanks!

vanson1200r
01-16-2010, 01:23 AM
Well for anybody who wants a FAST bike (high top speed) should of never bought a Buell XB. All the XB R&D went into making it turn and stop and come out of corners and not break land speed records. There are Suzuki GSX1300R's out there for that:)

buelladdicted
01-16-2010, 05:24 PM
yea ,Imagine how missled we are ,wanting our [sport] bikes to be fast!

MAGIC
01-16-2010, 06:03 PM
I think I can beat everybody. I can do 170mph... free falling from the tall ass cliff with the back wind :D

cherryxb12
04-22-2010, 12:23 AM
o7 xb12ss 147mph thats all she got iv top it out for a few miles at a time.

kalifornia
04-22-2010, 12:55 AM
I wonder how much faster a bike would run if you removed the calipers, rotors, blinkers, mirrors etc? I do not volunteer myself.

dave_xb12r
04-22-2010, 01:04 AM
I wonder how much faster a bike would run if you removed the calipers, rotors, blinkers, mirrors etc? I do not volunteer myself.

No faster. It's limited by gearing and rev limit and not aerodynamics and weight

Alfatango1
04-22-2010, 01:24 AM
No faster. It's limited by gearing and rev limit and not aerodynamics and weight
I agree with everything you said except aerodynamics.

DWix1
04-22-2010, 01:58 AM
so lost in all the tales of speed I didn't find out what the top speed of a xb12r actually is. I'm gonna guess 135. I'm also thinking this: if you guys are on public roads probing the upper speed limits of the bike you're crazy (call me a boring nutless wonder if you like). I routinely ride in that 85-90mph-zone to allow unchallenged travel in the carpool lane...but riding way up in triple digits is just nuts to me.--should anything go awry bye bye life as you once knew it...or should a cop catch you during your speedracer adventure good bye bike hello jail cell. Someone made the comment about the twisties which I totally agree with. Anyone can blast down the interstate at twice the legal limit, its the dude (or dudette) who can zip through the twisties fast that impresses me.

Nuage420b
04-22-2010, 03:29 AM
Vanson i beg to differ. XB R&D went into turbo's and eventually the power plant to the V-Rod. ON TOP OF turning stopping and coming out of corners. grrrr **** HARLEY. Buells speed was limited to maintain harley's image.

vanson1200r
04-23-2010, 03:18 AM
I agree with you Nuage so the end result of what we could buy is not a powerful bike but a very streetable bike. And yes, Eff H-D.

Clutch
05-18-2010, 04:53 AM
my brother claims he was right behind me and his speedo said 142. i ride an 03 xb9r and he's on a 07 gsxr1000. my speedo wasnt working at the time but i wasnt at rev limiter yet.

dorado29
05-18-2010, 05:07 PM
I had my new 2010 xb9 up to 151.37 mph. It only has 100 miles on the odometer and I was using a my super secret fuel mixture. I wont give the ratios i use but involves nail polish remover, bacardi 151, liquid nitrogen and betty white. Notice the relationship between top speed and bacardi 151

driftingswiftly
05-18-2010, 09:37 PM
I'd be impressed if it was bacardi 151.37. Great way to break in your motor. You should try adding paint thinner and root beer to the mix and see where that gets you. Once I put a laptop in my fuel tank. It didn't do anything.

dave_xb12r
05-18-2010, 09:51 PM
I was able to hit 152mph by riding bare ass and farting real hard. The hemorrhoids were totally worth it.

dorado29
05-18-2010, 10:37 PM
I'd be impressed if it was bacardi 151.37. Great way to break in your motor. You should try adding paint thinner and root beer to the mix and see where that gets you. Once I put a laptop in my fuel tank. It didn't do anything.

I'd guess that the .37 mph over 151 flat was due to either a tail wind or me urging it on via telepathic connection.

driftingswiftly
05-18-2010, 10:44 PM
lol

Jerry C
05-18-2010, 10:49 PM
105 on the on ramp,fun commute.

Ebeo1
05-19-2010, 01:28 AM
What is the point of doing exhaust mods or flashing the computer if the bikes top speed is limited by gearing?

135 is my top speed

GW 04 XB12R
05-19-2010, 01:50 AM
so you can reach the top speed faster. and do wheelies easier. and so it sounds better. and looks better. and so you can have something to brag about. and spend money on. jeez, why not? ;)

Ebeo1
05-19-2010, 06:22 AM
so you can reach the top speed faster. and do wheelies easier. and so it sounds better. and looks better. and so you can have something to brag about. and spend money on. jeez, why not?

aaahhh of course what was I thinking

I'm going to carry my gps in my pocket next time and see what kind of speeds I get to I think the firebolt can do 140.

09buellxb12ss
05-31-2010, 07:56 PM
I hit my rev limiter at 140mph on my 09xb12ss!!

chevnut55
06-17-2010, 07:03 AM
i hit 125 mph on my xb12r with all the bolt ons. no rev limiter ,the wind was shaking me bad. 130 mph is where my ninja wold start to spin the tire or wheelie....i miss that

BuddhaBuell
06-17-2010, 08:33 AM
220 kmph thru a ICBC radar board on BamBam (who is a XB9SX)
fast enough for me
[smirk]

130 mph is where my ninja wold start to spin the tire or wheelie....i miss that
you can always get another one, I am sure someone would buy your Buell and then you can have a nice rice rocket like everybody else who needs to go stupid fast or pull wheelies at 130 mph (if you ride like a squid I am glad you don't live near me)

7Mary3
06-20-2010, 08:12 PM
I went as fast as the Millenium Falcon at warp speed.

flyeboy
06-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Compared to some of the **** talkers, I am a P*ssy I suppose. I have only had mine up to 100 on a public road. Hell I dont do 100 in my truck and it has crumple zones and full air bags. I have too much respect for asphalt and the passer-by who would be dialing 911 while looking at my exposed brain, bones and intestines...

BigRedonBlack
06-21-2010, 07:55 AM
140mph here... took it a while to get my fat ass up there

redliner172
06-21-2010, 08:50 AM
I admit it...I love to speed and take corners fast. I am the first one to accept the legal consequences and/or the "final" consequence. But I could be killed by a drunk driver tomorrow in my car...everything is dangerous and can kill you.

I did 157 in 5th gear on my 1125r (I will max out before the end of summer)

138 on snareman96's 09 xb12r (thats bouncing off the rev limiter...should be faster shouldnt it?)

145 on my buddies 05 R1 (of course it had WAY more to go)

07firebolt12R
06-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I just did a top speed on my '07 Firebolt 12R yesterday. I borrowed the GPS off of my '08 Yamaha R1 and I got 139mph indicated but GPS said 124. Funny though, on my R1 the digital speedo stops at 187mph but GPS said 192mph (the Yamaha is far from stock and that was without the nitrous on)....but the Buell is a lot more fun on the streets.

F1fletch
06-23-2010, 04:49 PM
OK well, wow I have laughed ALOT reading all these pages and so far I get that the 12R has gearing for about 140ish.

So here is a serious question. Can't you change the rear pulley size? Not that anyone would I mean who cares about top speed..lol but lower rpm on the freeway might be cool.

strmvt
06-23-2010, 05:02 PM
chain conversion put 21 on front and 47 or 48 tooth can't remember and that will get you 150ish I think

johnny8462
06-25-2010, 01:43 PM
05 12R 148 on the gps with about 500 in revs left

AJManning
02-26-2011, 09:38 PM
DID ANYONE TINK ABOUT CHANGING SPROCKET SIZES.........THAT INCREASES OR DECREASES TOP END.......

Shreve
02-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Had alot of fun coming back from school playing around with a Mustang cobra. Not smart but weaving around traffic at 130 was ALOT of fun. Didnt try any faster because my backpack was being cought by the wind and pulling me up and i didnt feel safe pushing it any farther
2003 XB9R fastest so far for me is around 130

Jobe Zeebuh
02-26-2011, 11:03 PM
135 without race flash and jardine on a 03' xb9r. Update soon ;)

Jobe Zeebuh
02-27-2011, 02:36 AM
59ey2mwJ_aQ

Jobe Zeebuh
02-27-2011, 03:13 AM
Worlds fastest bike!!!

vskzPCEcmj8&NR=1

Alfatango1
02-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Worlds fastest bike!!!
Theoretically only.

anrkizm95
02-27-2011, 07:59 AM
worlds fastest bike 6wB98Khk01k theoretically

anrkizm95
02-27-2011, 08:01 AM
worlds slowest VfC_WD0edDs theoretically

Alfatango1
02-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Theoretically only.
Because Dodge chose to ignore one little factor. Drag!

anrkizm95
02-27-2011, 08:23 AM
drag has nothing to do with top speed.:D

Alfatango1
02-27-2011, 08:36 AM
drag has nothing to do with top speed.
At very low speeds, the effects of aerodynamic drag are minimal. At the same time, the engine can exert a very large force at low speeds, meaning that the acceleration force will be high. At higher speeds, the drag builds up, and the engine's force decreases. Eventually, the drag force and engine force will become equal, leaving no force left for acceleration. It is at this speed that the vehicle is said to have reached its drag-limited top speed.

But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

anrkizm95
02-27-2011, 08:41 AM
just being sarcastic in refrence to another thread.i agree

Xb12sLt
02-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Dude!!!!! That guy on the scooter is my brother!

Jobe Zeebuh
02-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Lets try this again...
AxSeS0r2Si4

anrkizm95
02-27-2011, 11:09 AM
tHqCh4pqIEQ o6gdwEVOvBY

potman45
02-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I have an '06 Lightning XB12Scg stock, hit 126mph on a long downhill streight. I was WOT in fifth gear but might have shifted to 5th a little early. I noticed that i was crouched down as low as possible at that point, so i decided to pick up my head a bit and immediatly lost approx 5 mph due to the wind resistance. I do believe the top speed is limited to wind drag and wonder if getting a wind screen mod like the 1125 "nose cone" would help this.

Jobe Zeebuh
02-27-2011, 11:18 AM
wind screen mod like the 1125 "nose cone" would help this.

Meh...Nitrous, gearing, turbo, and differnt teeth on gears.

I am happy with going only 140mph.

potman45
02-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Do they have options for re-gearing a belt out there?

Alfatango1
02-27-2011, 05:26 PM
just being sarcastic in reference to another thread.i agree

firefighter1c57
02-27-2011, 05:28 PM
My answer to rice riders when they ask me how fast it is... Fast enough to kill you in first gear.

I don't think Aerodynamics has a play in the top speed of the Buells. The rev limiter comes in at about 7000 IIRC, limiting top speed to 146 indicated on my 04 XB12R. If drag where the limiting factor, then the bike would reach it's drag-limited speed before it reached the rev limter. A change in gearing and a change in max RPMs for the Buells might make this happen, but not now.

Alfatango1
02-27-2011, 05:49 PM
I don't think Aerodynamics has a play in the top speed of the Buells.
Got a point here, gearing and rpm limit Buell's to about 135. I've hit an indicated 142 tucked down and 135 recently semi tucked. The later was most likely off by about 10 mph or so. Aero drag may not occur before our Buell's hit their gear limited top speed.

coolairlova
03-15-2011, 05:35 AM
'07 XB12Stt here, 124mph at redline in 5th for about 70 miles from Schenectady, NY to Oneonta, NY in perfect 80 degree weather with zero wind and 70% humidity. If you sit up, you bounce back down to 115 without a thought and almost instantly.

I would love a 6th in this bike, only drawback.