PDA

View Full Version : Sidestands (Kickstands) and Pivot Bolts

rndrkeagle
08-05-2008, 03:20 PM
hey BPG, Can you help me figure out what my kick stand is? It's on an '04 XB12R but I think a previous owner may have changed out the side stand to the newer design. the reason I think this is because the back half of the stand itself (where it's supposed to be threaded to recieve the threaded end of the pivot bolt) it's not. The hole seems to be approximately 3/8 to 1/2 inch in diameter on the back. Was there some form of insert that went into the older stands that was threaded? (I have the threaded pivot bolt but nothing to thread it into and so it keeps sliding out. Could you post a picture of what the newer one looks like? (I would post a pic of what I have but that'd mean taking it off the bike and I don't have a swing arm stand yet).

rtmarsh
08-06-2008, 06:45 AM
ok, you are having the same problem that I was having on my 04 xb12r. After 20k miles my side stand AND side stand bolt broke, it was really strange. I went to the dealership and had to bring everthing with me. After some time I found out what is really going on. The old set up that came stock on my 04 has the threaded stand and bolt. The problem with it is that the bolt keeps breaking. The replacement kit comes with a new side stand and a differant bolt that does not have threads but has a funny "clip" on the end. The new design comes stock on the new bikes (not sure what years) but is much stronger then the threaded version. Hope I was of some help.

rndrkeagle
08-07-2008, 02:40 PM
rtmarsh,

thanks for your reply... the thing that has me stuck is that my stand has no threads in it... it doesn't look as though it ever had any threads. The bolt is pretty well loose in there and keeps sliding out. I pulled the spring off and then the pivot bolt out expecting to find threads in the back half of the stand or at least threads that had been stripped out, and didn't. The hole is about half an inch in diameter instead of 1/4" threaded. I'll try to get a photo of it tonight and post it on here. I think I may have the new stand with the old bolt??

FIDOSOL
08-07-2008, 03:05 PM
If the bolt isn't threaded then it's a new one, and you'll need the retention clip/pin that goes with it. Thing is you can go to any hardware store and just take the bolt with you and get one if that is the problem. Post up some pics so we can help ya get this figured out.

rndrkeagle
08-08-2008, 01:39 AM
ok... got a couple of pics of the pivot bolt and the kickstand itself. I'm pretty convinced that I have the newer style of kickstand but the older pivot bolt. In the bottom picture you're looking at the Back/bottom side of the stand. Note that the hole is of the same diameter as the front side (I even slid the pivot bolt in backwards and it goes all the way in). Anyone that has the newer style of kickstand if you could confirm this for me I'd really appreciate it. I have the new style pivot bolt and the "E clip" on order. Should get it in tomorrow or Monday and we'll know for sure then.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2168_20080807183508_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2168_20080807183442_L.jpg

rndrkeagle
08-08-2008, 11:32 PM
ok... got the new pivot bolt in and it works.... strangely enough... the dealership called me today to let me know that my special order for the bolt had been cancelled by Buell.. turns out they had ordered the OLD bolt again... luckily they had the new bolt in stock... but they didn't have the stupid little "E-Clip".. (could have placed it on order for $2.50... but found that Home Depot carries them... 7/16" inch "E-Clip" from home depot work just fine... and are .50 cents for two of them. (just in case anyone loses theirs... that's a good option)

Frank
08-21-2008, 06:23 AM
Were did you get your new bolt from?

Frank
08-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Do they have a retrofit?

rndrkeagle
08-21-2008, 07:08 PM
I got the bolt from my local HD/Buell dealer. Harley Part Number is L0174.4A8.

If you have the NEW kickstand.. then this is the bolt to use. Is you don't have the new kickstand.. then there is a service kit to replace your stand with the new one. It comes with the Stand, Bolt and Clip. There are three different kits depending on your year and model of bike.
I have a copy of the PDF file service sheet for these kits and it has good pictures as well as all the relevant PN's you would need on how to swap out your old stand for the new one.

LeFox,

Is there someplace I can upload a PDF file so others can get to it?

LeFox
08-22-2008, 10:00 AM
nope...either use a mailshare host, a free ftp, or ask buellxb to put it up.

other option...convert to a picture ;)