PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my bike???

TMC
08-06-2008, 01:47 AM
Why is it all of the sudden my oil tank is so full of oil it's running out the top. I filled the bike to spec. Why is it doing this??????

FIDOSOL
08-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Did you fill it up when the bike was cold? Like most other fluids when heated oil expands, but it shouldn't be so much that it's coming out of the top...
How is it coming out of the top anyways? There shouldn't be anywhere for it to come out of, could you take a pic and post it? I'm sure someone will be more helpful than me, but a visual reference might help them help you.

TMC
08-06-2008, 02:03 AM
No I had rode the bike for about 10 or 15 min first like the book says.I filled the bike up till it was about 1/2 the way up on the stick then started it and ran it for a few then topped it off slowly. If you take the dipstick out out comes the oil. It was right for about 1 week then i checked it tonight and out it came

dave_xb12r
08-06-2008, 03:03 AM
Did you fill it on the sidestand? Either something is expanding, or you've got some other fluids entering somehow. As for fluids, it could either be tranny oil or fuel. Being how it's fuel injected, I don't see how it could be fuel. Maybe check the tranny oil and see if it's low. I don't see how that could be, but anything is possible. This is an interesting problem, good luck!

06xb9r
08-06-2008, 04:13 AM
Maybe a clogged oil line? and it's backing up in the oil tank {swingarm}?

keisersozae
08-06-2008, 07:09 AM
the first time i did my oil change i drained the fluid from the tranny then when i went to put my oil in, yeah big mess..lmao. i was like, why is there this much oil, duh. so new fluids in both, live and learn. if this is what you did i dont you expect you to admit to it, i felt like a retard.

LeFox
08-06-2008, 08:22 PM
you didn't wait long enough between riding and filling.

oil was still in the engine and didn't have time to flow back into the reservoir/swingarm

schlahty
05-28-2013, 12:05 PM
im having same issue. checked oil while cold and oil was spewing out the top of fill hole. gonna just change fluids and diagnose further. oil does seem kind of thin.

snrusnak
05-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Are you guys checking the oil with the bike running?

schlahty
06-06-2013, 09:27 PM
^^no the bikes "making oil" and being checked when bike is off. But when it is on its kick stand. Not a common thing for I have searched for online advice and come up empty. Mine seems to only make oil only when riddin hard. I know they're tough engines. I'm hoping its not rings