PDA

View Full Version : How accurate is this?

steller
08-06-2008, 04:06 AM
so im takin my bike to a harley dealer to get serviced. i talked to him about remapping or installing my ecm and doing a dyno. he said he cant do a dyno on my bike cuz my wheelbase is too short but he can remap it, and or install my race ecm for me. can he accurately remap or install my race ecm. if he doenst do a dyno?. i have jardine exhaust, k&n filter, opened airbox, barnett racing clutch. i had talked to him before and he said he wasnt sure what map to use. he could do the re-map but didnt know which one. so he was open to suggestions. hes going to fix my rear bearing issue that i now have. service my bike install new plugs (cuz it seems to be impossible) and do the re-mapping or install the race ecm for $450 so im really happy with the price, i just want my uly to get the best bang (vroom vroom) for the buck. any takers on this one.

FIDOSOL
08-06-2008, 11:24 AM
He can install the race ecm, it is a baseline remap for performance, a custom remap is where it's at, he won't be able to remap it decently without dyno tuning it... If you plan on modifying your bike further then wait for the remap/race ecm. Other than that, wait for LeFox to chime in, he knows alot more about this than I do.

TMC
08-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Hold on he said he can't dyno your bike cause the wheel base is to short????? I've never heard of that being a problem

FIDOSOL
08-06-2008, 11:36 AM
I wasn't even going to touch that one...

squiers007
08-06-2008, 06:50 PM
If the dyno they have is set up only for Harleys then they wont be able to dyno your Buell. I know it sounds a little funny about the wheelbase issue, but it has to sit on the dyno correctly to work (I dont know this personally, this is just what I have been told so feel free to correct me if im wrong).

LeFox
08-06-2008, 08:41 PM
If the dyno they have is set up only for Harleys then they wont be able to dyno your Buell. I know it sounds a little funny about the wheelbase issue, but it has to sit on the dyno correctly to work (I dont know this personally, this is just what I have been told so feel free to correct me if im wrong).
he just can't do it and used that as an excuse.

you're not gonna tell me a sportster & vrod (both harleys) have the same wheelbase.

if he can't dyno, don't remap...get a race ecm and installing it is 0.5hrs of work.

steller
08-07-2008, 12:19 AM
excellent, excellent. thanks muchly gents. i think thats what im gonna do, just get him to install my race ecm. and reclibrate my tps. easiest until i do more. again thanks.

typeone
08-07-2008, 01:08 PM
the wheelbase thing could be true, last dyno my XB was on just BARELY fit.

the tuner looked at the bike when i first arrived and was like, 'i hope we can even get this on the dyno!'. sure enough, had to adjust as far in as the rear would go, but it did fit. i didnt think it was going to, there was no more adjustment left on the dyno.

but having said that, theres no way id let that shop 'tune' my bike, his excuses dont add up. not sure if you have an S or R but the S is very easy to just install the Race ECM in the parking lot then only pay them to reset your TPS.