PDA

View Full Version : Noob needs help on a stock exhaust

chadprepton
08-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Ok, I really don't work on bikes since the blast is the first one I've owned. But I'm trying just to take off the exhaust and I can't get the rear muffler strap off.

I just need to know exactly how I'm supposed to get off. Any help would be great, thanks a lot.

Buellysses
08-06-2008, 08:06 PM
You just need to pull harder. ;)

For your perusing pleasure, a buell blast manual.
It's off my personal server, so it's gonna be slow.

Blast Manual (ftp://ftpuser:ftppassword1@apascoe.no-ip.com/blast_manual.zip)

Have a, umm..., blast

chadprepton
08-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks Buelly I actually already have the manual I just don't see how to get the bolts off of the strap.

chadprepton
08-06-2008, 08:13 PM
again, you are talking to someone who's an idiot on this stuff ;) thanks again

Buellysses
08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Huh, well, at least I tried.
My ftp server is *&@#!*$ me off anyway.

Are you having trouble getting an allen wrench on the inside of the bolts?

chadprepton
08-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Exactly.

I don't know how to get to the bolts. I see the washers but I don't know how I'm supposed to get inside to the bolts to unscrew them.

FIDOSOL
08-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Hmm, have you tried hitting the local tool/hardware/parts store? Get a 1/4 in drive rachet and a flextention if needed also the allen wrench socket ( not sure if that's what it's called). basically an allen head that is attached/part of a socket made just for jobs like this. Hope that I've been of some assistance, I have a Lightning so I'm not sure how the blast thing comes off..

Buellysses
08-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Cutting torch.

Not much that a torch wont remove.

tmsimms
08-07-2008, 03:32 AM
on my firebolt you dont need the stock exhaust strap for an aftermarkt exhaust so i used a cutting wheel :-)

Buellysses
08-07-2008, 04:11 AM
On a serious note, Fidosol is right. You need to get an allen wrench set (not sure if they use metric or US) and a 1/4" drive ratchet set with an extension and swivel. (once again, not sure if it's metric or us)

Find the steel band on the rear of the muffler and follow it up toward the top of the muffler. On either side you will find a nut. I think mine is either a 3/8" or a 12mm. Get your socket/extension/swivel on that. You also need to get an allen wrench on the opposite side of that bolt. Take a look underneath the bike, you will probably have to get at it from behind the muffler. Since you have the manual already, take a peek at page 2-53. Shows you how the whole thing goes together/comes apart.

Let us know how it goes. Maybe put up a picture or 2 of what you are looking at or confused about.

chadprepton
08-07-2008, 01:52 PM
I got it, thanks for the info, I had everything I already needed I just didn't know how to do it.

FIDOSOL
08-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Glad that we could be of some assistance, Oh and Buellysses, everything I've come across on my lightning so far has been standard(US), I'll assume it's the same for all newer Buells. Then again you know what happens when you...............

Assume - Ass_U_Me

Buellysses
08-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I know... I make an ass out of myself on at least a daily basis.

I kinda assumed it was standard, but you never know these days.

I wish they would just give up and make everything metric, but that would be too easy.