PDA

View Full Version : XB12Ss / XB12XT compatability

kajer
08-06-2008, 10:34 PM
I am seriously thinking about buying a Buell, but I want a little bit of cargo space under my seat for a decent two-way radio setup.

I was at the dealer looking at the Lightnings and Ulysses, and I fell in love w/ the cargo room under the Ulysses seat. I really want a XB112Ss though.

My buddy said Buells are like legos, and I could probably fit a Ulysses tray into a lightning. And If this is actually possible, I'd bo on a XB12Ss right now...

What do you think? Pipe Dream? [confused]

kajer
08-07-2008, 12:13 AM
sorry for a double post, but I found these threads after some hardcore searching...

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/Rack-back-on-12Ss
http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/subeframe-xb12Ss-to-xb12xxt

It looks like it's possible, but I just have to ask if I can just swap to a uly tray w/o any major parts orders

mrdozer2you
08-07-2008, 12:32 PM
How big is the 2-way radio setup? Do you think if you did the open air box mod you could fit it under the air box cover? Believe me there isn't very much room under the Ss seat, i've never seen under a Uly so I dont know how much room is under there.

dave_xb12r
08-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Hey Lefox, what are your thoughts? Any under seat mods available?

LeFox
08-08-2008, 09:30 AM
depends on how big the radio is, but i would look more into getting it under the airbox-cover.

if you only ride solo, you could mod your seat and get it under the monoseat cover.

kajer
08-11-2008, 08:48 PM
It's a Yaesu FTM-10R
Size: 4.4”W x 1.5”H x 7.0”D. Weight: 2.9 pounds.

I'm including a picture, I can mount the head unit in the handle bars or anywhere else I want to, but the body of the radio needs to go somewhere protected, out of the sun and rain. (The head unit is water proof) The Uly undertray had a huge space, but not the lightning long.

I know It's probably stupid, but I know what I want. :)

I would actually need to see an airbox to see if I could fit the radio in there.

http://www.czarkahan.net/kajer/ftm10r.jpg

LeFox
08-12-2008, 11:44 AM
it can easily be fitted under the airbox-cover the the airbox-delete has been done.

but you can forget about putting it under the seat.

Bordsnbikes
08-12-2008, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't put it under the seat even if you can fit it. It gets pretty warm under there and little to no airflow and the top of that radio is finned to be a heat sink. I think it would overheat and crap out on you. Under the airbox however gets a lot of airflow and you can put a thermal blanket under there to keep the unit cooler.

kajer
08-12-2008, 08:19 PM
There is that much room under that airbox cover?!

I would have not thought... I wonder if I can get the dealer to remove it so I can see it for myself.

Does anyone have any pictures of their airbox cover removed? on a lightning long?

LeFox
08-13-2008, 07:30 AM
the room is the same for every model.

the space you have depends on what airbox/filter you have.
if you perform the airbox delete, a mod i would suggest anyway, you will have enough room to fit it, no problem.

removing the cover is ony 4 bolts and is done within a minute.