PDA

View Full Version : painting plastic?

captain13ron
08-07-2008, 01:43 AM
i would like to do the black out look, i have white plastic now and i want to paint it black. any suggestions on type, or brand of primer/paint to achive quality results? do i need to scuff with 1500#? i do not want it chipping off. i have done some quality painting before but painting plastic requiers special attention i would assume.

RHYNOXB9R
08-07-2008, 02:14 AM
Check out WWW.KUSTOMSHOP.COM they have a great selection and are very well priced.I have used their stuff and so has GatorBuell.Not EPA legal though,but most shops will spray it for you.;)

dave_xb12r
08-07-2008, 02:24 AM
If you go to a auto paint store, they can mix you up vinyl/plastic paint in any color you want. Scuff it up with a prep pad and wipe it down first with lacquer thinner on a clean rag. Watch out for fingerprints!

Good luck!

dans03firebolt
08-07-2008, 12:26 PM
If you don't have the means of a spray gun I would suggest bringing it to a shop to get it sprayed. I am thinking about spraying mine over the winter as well. I want to paint mine HOK Kandy Brandywine. It is a great color.

skellybuell
08-17-2008, 07:31 AM
I would use final wash and a tack rag you get dust on it you can't see untill its painted and it will look bad plus the final was will take out all the oil so there isn't any fisheyes

g3STRIKES
05-14-2011, 04:14 PM
please use an adhesion promoter after scuffing such as bulldog, it is specific for plastic painting works wonders.

Tork
05-14-2011, 04:28 PM
For condsideration, see the following info direct from Dupont, the Surlyn plastic manufacturer: Surlyn coating guide (http://www2.dupont.com/Surlyn/en_US/assets/downloads/reflections_coating_guide.pdf)