PDA

View Full Version : Hard Shift Problems

jumper
03-31-2007, 03:33 AM
Trying to troubleshoot a shifting problem. I bought 03 XB9R used knowing that it had been in minor scrape with car. No significant overall damage... liken to a hard tip over. Suspect hard hit on external trans linkage. Has over 10K. Bike has to be +- 2K to downshift smoothly. ALWAYS clunks HARD into first from neutral. Can't hardly find nuetral most of time. Worse when hot. ****ing up and especially down gets worse as it gets hotter. Clutch discs may have some wear that may be fixed with adjustment? But I'm thinking perhaps the shift lever assemble might have taken a hit. Anyone have any helpful info? Thanks Devin.

2Evil4U
03-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Not sure about the rest, but these trannys all have a serious "CLUNK" when you drop them from neutral into first. I wouldn't worry about that. The rest may just be clutch or primary chain adjustment. Probably best to pick up a service manual and see what can be adjusted.

jumper
04-01-2007, 12:16 AM
For education purposes...Not sure if clutch was a factor but I replaced seven friction discs with ALTO brand Keflar discs ($65.00 from Chopper Parts Dealer) and new complete shift lever assembly(aquired when I got bike). The shift lever assembly I replaced... the spring was sprung out of normal config and im sure was cause of original problem. HOLY SHI* Bike now shifts and runs like a new bike. FYI and Blue Skies!!:D

tbramich
05-19-2007, 02:12 PM
switch to a sythectic oil FOR MOTORCYCLE CLUTCHES. also be sure your idle is around !k rpm maybe even a little lower