PDA

View Full Version : new guy,stupid questions,sorry

swapmeat
08-12-2008, 02:01 AM
just bought a 2000.got it running and love it so far.1:is it possible online or do i have to locate a dealer to find out if my 2000 had the pulley/belt/guard,recall upgrade?being a 2000 should i replace the oil pump gear to save headaches in the future?if so how bad is the job?i also have a running issue.it seems as if i'm running rich sometimes as the bike kind of backfarts though the carb.i am not that familiar with anything but a regular slide carb.is there any adjustments besides the jets,i.e..idle speed,etc?any info would be great.once i get this stuff figured out i will have many more questions on upgrade,and where to find or make?...some rearsets that are comfortable..anyway thanks in advance....jesse

ezblast
08-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Give a dealer the vin and he'll run it for you - its a manditory safety thing - so if not done it will get done.
EZ

swapmeat
08-12-2008, 10:59 PM
called the dealer today and the recall has been performed.what about the oil pump gear?replace or don't bother?and last the running issue?any input would be great.thanks again, jesse

ezblast
08-13-2008, 02:58 AM
Das Boot - replace the carb rubber intake coupling between the carb and manifold - they are cheap and its old and only rubber - this may very well solve all your problems - how many miles - I wouldn't worry about the gear till you get to 20000 miles and only if you've been running it hard all this time - it took HD/Buell almost 10yrs worth of failures - to finally break down and upgrade it, which tells you how often they failed in the first place - which is rarely.
EZ

swapmeat
08-13-2008, 03:13 AM
thanks ez thats what i figured from reading around here,hoping you would grace my post with your presence.in the couple days i've benn looking you seem to be THE MAN.you made rearsets for your plast,(i think)?you have any pics,as the pegs are my least favorite thing besides the bars that i swapped for pro tapers the day i brought it home.what a difference.any help i'm very grateful for!1 last thing is there any dealers on these forums(this or badweb)that i can order parts form?my dealer is 1hr away and.......thanks jesse

ezblast
08-13-2008, 04:45 AM
To be fair to these guys - I do buy most of my oem parts from either my local dealer or if high priced or out of stock - Chicago HD - CHD (http://www.chicagoharley.com/shop/) - they have a 20% off of all online orders - see your parts manual for part numbers for ordering though -

Rearsets - a very popular topic lately - Banke will make them special order - pricey - near the 500 dollar range, or you could make them your self and at most spend 200.00 - plans here: Rearsets section (http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/20164/15647.html?1218589966)
Hope this helps -
EZ[cool]

Tork
08-13-2008, 02:10 PM
If you want to check what services are due and what recalls are applicable to your bike, enter your bike info at the following link: http://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/MNT/SCHK/en/ServiceCheckup.asp

ezblast
08-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Only recall ob a blast was all the 2000 for new pully/belts, and some 2003's the tank roll over valve was sticking - thats it.
EZ[cool]

swapmeat
08-14-2008, 01:42 AM
you guys are great.thanks 4 the help i'll keep you guys posted on progress.these bikes even being a 500 are perfectly named ....every time i've hopped on mine in the week ive owned it ive had a blast!

ezblast
08-14-2008, 04:27 AM
[up]