PDA

View Full Version : Flat tire?

dave_xb12r
08-13-2008, 11:10 PM
I just went outside, started my bike, and tried pushing out of its parking spot and it was super hard to push. I look at the rear tire and what do you know, it's flat. I only have 2275 on my bike, and still have some pretty big chicken strips. I checked the whole tire and there is no sign of puncture, cracks or damage of any kind. I called the dealership and they want $359 to pick it up and fix it. I rode it yesterday afternoon and it was fine. I havn't checked to see if it hold air yet. I still need a air compressor.

FIDOSOL
08-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Hmm...check the valve stem, if the valve stem is bad then you can just replace that and pump it up. Go to the nearest place that does tires and ask how to tell if a valve stem is bad and how much it would be to fix it. Shouldn't be much. Maybe $20 and only takes a few minutes.

dave_xb12r
08-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks Fido, I have a Harley dealership truck on its way here right now. I'll see if they have a replacement valve stem in stock before they change the tire. Its a funky screw in type!

Man I'm pissed. I was going to buy new plastics!

kajer
08-14-2008, 02:17 AM
oh man, that sucks!

It's not your neighbor w/ the older buell, jealous maybe?

RHYNOXB9R
08-14-2008, 02:42 AM
For future use,without having to take the tire /rim off the bike,inflate the tire to said psi and spray the valve stem down with a water/dishsoap mixture and wait to see if it bubbles up.That will tell you if the stem was bad or not and not cost as much as that Harley truck did[smirk]This is the process we use when finding a leak on a plumbing water system,never fails;)

firechickenXB9R
08-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Sounds like you have a jealous neighbor to me.

dans03firebolt
08-14-2008, 05:50 PM
It doesn't matter how big your chicken strips still are. All you have to do is run over a nail and you have a flat tire. Hit a pot hole and you have a flat tire. How do you not put air in it immediately to see where it is leaking? Hell go to Walmart and buy an air tank for $20 fill it up and fill your tire. Spray it with water and see where the air bubbles are and you will find your leak. It definitely has a leak somewhere that you need to find. Never call the Harley truck to come get your bike.

FIDOSOL
08-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Hey, he didnt' know better, besides, I'd be in a hurry just to get to ride again if it was me. Wouldn't you?

dave_xb12r
08-15-2008, 01:14 AM
I know the water trick, Fido is right, i just wanted it fixed. I thought about it and figured, whatever the problem is, they were going to have to fix it. The pick up was free so whatever. Plus the dealership is 30 miles away, so I didt want to risk make a ride over a mountain pass with a questionable tire. It was a nail, a very tiny one. Its a bummer that I had to get a new tire when I had plenty of tread left on it. Now the question is, what do I do with the tire? Is it fixable?

FIDOSOL
08-15-2008, 01:40 AM
Not Fixable, it wouldn't be reliable...On the other hand you could make something out of the tire...

dave_xb12r
08-15-2008, 02:29 AM
make what? I guess I could make a unusable tire out of it

LeFox
08-15-2008, 08:40 AM
it can be fixed no problem...

go to a tireguy, and they will fix & volcanise is for you.

FIDOSOL
08-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Hey LeFox, you'd trust a tire that has compromised integrity? Brave man...but I guess you have some sort of experience with this already?

LeFox
08-15-2008, 09:15 AM
it's not like they just put a tap in...they heat/melt it to regain that factory integrity.

as long as the puncture is small, it doesn't matter on the outside, but on the inside of the tire is where the problem is.
if they volcanise it, the structure is restored and there is no problem...you won't even see where it was.

a larger puncture or damage to the flank the tire is a totally different story.

dave_xb12r
08-15-2008, 09:46 AM
wow that gives me hope. do they have to mount it to the wheel to test it?

LeFox
08-15-2008, 03:54 PM
no...just give them the tire, they will fix it and you pick it up the next day.

dans03firebolt
08-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Yes there is no doubt the tire can be fixed. Keep it as a spare. They can fix the hole from the inside for sure. Don't junk it.

FIDOSOL
08-15-2008, 08:32 PM
I stand corrected, and I'm glad that I know that now...