PDA

View Full Version : New to EcmSpy, Race Eeprom trouble, experienced users please help

Jornum1
08-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Ok so I will warn you now this may be lengthy, especially for my first post! I have been lurking around the forum for the past few weeks taking in as much info as possible. I want to be as specific as I can so someone can help me.

3 weeks ago I bought a 2007 XB12Ss with 4500 miles. It was stock besides a "cheese grater" eliminator from Iron Machine. It ran great, and being a tinkerer I decided to get the basic upgrades.

I promptly put on a Jardine Titanium slip on. I just got a Race ECM, and did my own Airbox delete mod/breather relocate.

After finding out how much of a rip off all the Harly/Buell dealerships are here in the NJ/NY metro area, I decided to buy a cable and do the TPS reset myself($200 for a TPS reset, no thank you!)

I put the race ECM in, and performed the airbox delete. I tried to start the bike. Started up, and idled a little rough. It would die when I gave it any throttle. I expected this.

I then hooked up the ECMspy and got it connected no problem. First thing I did was saved my eeprom and fuel map as everyone says.
Then I went to perform a TPS reset. Here is where I screwed up. I did not realize/think about having to be "online" with the ecm. I tried turning the idle adjuster down as directed. I got no response from ecmspy because i was not online with the ecm. Not knowing what was going on I just assumed i was at 0 and reset the tps. I then realized my mistake and did the whole procedure again. Set the TPS to 5.0, and started it up. The RPM's jumped and it fired, and promptly stalled again. I kept adding to the idle adjuster and it would finally idle very rough. At this point I was really getting nervous, so I hooked the stock ECM up and it was idled super high. I had to reset the TPS again(right way this time), and everything was back to normal. Took it for a ride, no problems. I came back, and loaded the Race Eeprom and maps into the stock ECU. When I turned the ignition on, it game me 3 error codes

trouble code 11: Tps short to ground
Trouble code 15: Intake air sensor shorted to supply voltage or open
Trouble code 44: BAS short to ground

When I turned to ignition off, the fan came on and stayed on. It turned off when the ignition was on. The TPS read 86 degrees and 100% I believe. Also in the closed loop box the Tps read 222!

I then loaded the stock eeprom and map and everything was fine again. TPS was at 4.9, and the closed loop box said the tps was 100%.

So whats going on here? Do I just need to reset the TPS again with the Race eeprom and maps? I didnt want to touch anything because I was a little intimidated being my first day with ECMSPY. I definitely wasnt going to try to start it! I also downloaded the Race ECM Eeprom for a 2007 XB from Xopti's site, and got the same result.

Any insght from anyone? My common sense would say because of my initial TPS setting problem, the tps reading was so high it was jacking all the sensors up. I am hoping resetting the TPS will solve this problem.
Can I run the Stock eeprom with the race fuel maps? Is that a possible?

Thanks to all that ready through this! Any help would be very appreciated.

Jason

Jornum1
08-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Just a update. Tried to Zero out the TPS with the stock settings. Then I loaded the Race Eeprom and reset the TPS.
No change at all. Its like it thinks the throttle is wide open. I know I can just tune the stock maps, but I am not really ready for that. I wanted to have a baseline that would allow me to use the Open airbox and pipe withouth worrying about leaning out. I am still using the stock filter, but i will be getting my K&N in the next few days.

Tork
08-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Just perform the TPS reset procedure again. Confirm that your software and ECM are 'talking' by adjusting your idle cable 1/2 turn in or out while monitoring your TPS value. If it doesn't change while adjusting the idle cable, you're not connected somewhere or a switch isn't engaged.

After correcting the issue and confirming that you're connected, slowly back out your idle cable (CCW)while monitoring the TPS value again in ECMSPY. This time, watch for the point at which the TPS value stops decreasing and stop adjusting. Snap the throttle a few times to make sure the butterfly valve is closing all the way. Monitor the TPS value and back out the screw another 1/4 turn and watch to make sure the TPS value doesn't decrease any more. The goal here is to make sure the butterfly is absolutely closed with no friction holding it open even a hair. This is indicated by witnessing that the TPS value is finished decreasing no matter what you do or how many times you snap the throttle (indicating the TPS 'Zero' reference point has been reached). Note that if your throttle cables are out of adjustment (no slack or too tight), it may keep your butterfly from closing all the way and prevent you from ever getting a proper TPS reset <-I've seen this drive people crazy).

Push "TPS RESET" and continue by running your idle adjustment in (CW) until your TPS reads around 5.6 degrees. This number doesn't really mean anything other than getting your idle high enough so that you can start the bike and have it idle. Once the bike is running, do a final idle tweak to set it where you want it. It would be a good idea reset your AFV and error codes at this time as well. Then go out and ride for 3-4 minutes on a decent stretch of road and you should be good to go. When you get back to your garage, hook ECMSPY up again see if the ECM is still throwing error codes. I bet your ECM just burped.

Jornum1
08-15-2008, 02:34 AM
Thanks Tork,

I think I got the TPS reset procedure down. It works fine with the stock eeprom file.

My problem seems to be with the Race Eeprom file.
With the Stock EEprom file I burn it and have no problems. When I burn the Race eeprom it acts all crazy. When I toggle the ignition off the fan comes on, and stays on. I turn the ignition on, and it stops, but then I get the error codes and it acts like the TPS is wide open. Reading like 86 degrees. it will not budge no matter how much I adjust it.
I am not sure if I have a connection problem, but the files upload fine, and there are no errors that I see.
Anyone know if the race fuel maps can be used with the stock eeprom file?

LeFox
08-15-2008, 08:50 AM
i don't get it...you have an original ecm & a race ecm, but still you are loading maps from one to the other???

typeone
08-15-2008, 12:11 PM
careful Jornum1, you cant just load the EEPROM from the race into the stock ECM. you only want to copy the fuel and timing maps from the race and use them with the stock EEPROM. this is what I'm doing as well as many others. your issues are from trying to load incompatible EEPROM.

you can do it a few ways but since you have both ECMs, install the Race ECM, save the maps and EEPROM from that, then install your stock ECM, WITH THE STOCK EEPROM LOADED, then load the race fuel maps and burn.

for timing, i entered all the cell values by hand, there may be a better way. i can remember if the timing maps come with the fuel maps but i dont think they do.

one thing to keep in mind, EVERYTHING is stored in the EEPROM so if you reload your stock EEPROM it will replace the fuel maps so once you have both the stock EEPROM and race fuel maps together, save as a different name like 'stock_with_race_maps', or whatever.

hope this helps.

Jornum1
08-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys, I had posted my problem on another forum and someone else gave me the same info at typeone. I didnt realize the eeproms were not compatible. So I can use the stock eeprom in the stock ecm, burn the race maps onto the stock ecm, and manually copy the timing tables from the race eeprom over to the stock eeprom. That will basically give me a race ecm's program in the stock ecms module?

Lefox, I know it sounds confusing. Basically I bought the race ecm, with the intention of just using it. Had a problem with the dealerships trying to rip me off to do a tps reset. So I started to research how to do it myself. I found out more about ecmspy and what it is all about.
I decided to keep my stock ecm, and just modify it, then sell the race ecm and get some of my money back(for more mods ;-)
I did not realize the Eeprom's were not compatible. SO I will just use the Race ecm for now, while I play with the stock one to get it right.

Thanks again everyone!

typeone
08-15-2008, 01:21 PM
no problem, youve got it. i went the exact same route, then sold off the Race ECM. i used to have an issue with ping so I wanted to run the fatter race fuel maps with the stock timing. ran fantastic. i'm now back to race timing maps with no ping.

i think the only other things you could enable to make the stock ecm more race, uncheck the white wire cable and exhaust servo if you dont need it. other than that you'll be good to go. next up will be datalogging and tuning :) ECMSpy rules.

Jornum1
08-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah I already turned to servo off.
What is the white wire? I have looked around a bit and found it is for noise emissions? what is the pros/cons of turning it off? I have seen some posts that say they get a increase in power, is there any negative point to do this?

Thanks typeone, btw great bike I have seen your pics

typeone
08-15-2008, 01:52 PM
correct, the 'white wire' is connected to the ecm and the speed sensor. at various speeds and throttle position, timing is retarded to reduce noise and power. still unclear which bikes/ecms benefit most from disabling it but the race ecms dont use it.

ive had it disabled on my 12 for a while, never noticed anything drastic like the 9 riders seem to notice but i figure every little tweak helps.

and thnx for the props on the bike!

Jornum1
08-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Success!

I loaded the race maps(which do include the timing maps too) onto the Stock ECM eeprom. Started right up, no codes. I had to play with the idle because it was idling very low. I believe because my K&N didnt come in yet(weds), I am running fairly rich due to the restricted air flow. This is just a guess because of a little "bog" off the line and at low rpms. It ameks sense that the race maps would be rich because they are meant for a higher rate of airflow. But it does run much smoother now, and I dont have to worry much about leaning out with the Jardine and open airbox.

I only got to ride for about 15 minutes yesterday. Today I am going to take it out for a nice ride, and see how it runs. I figure I will slap the backpack on my back and try some datalogging.

Thanks a ton Typeone, and everyone else. I hope I am on my way to a nicely tuned xb.