PDA

View Full Version : 1997 S1 lightning PLEASE HELP

vossrod
08-15-2008, 11:49 PM
hello everyone
just signed up, I bought a 1997 buell S1 lightning for the engine to put in my sportster gave a fair price the bike had been down 2 or 3 times but the main thing wrong with it was the rear shock was compleatly blown out I got a rear shock from a 2000 M2 cyclone but its a little to short & I was wondering if anyone makes a lowering block that I could put in place tho take up the gap or if I'm gonna have to fab up my own design. I don't have a problem doing that but it would be a whole lot nicer to just bolt a peice in & go. none of this would be an issue since I'm robbing the engine anyway but the bike fits my wife very well & she kinda digs it so instead of just robbing the engine I'm swapping them & then I get to have 2 bikes. any help in this area would be greatly appreciated

BuellPartsGuy
08-16-2008, 12:08 AM
They had a recall on the shocks on those bikes. They changed the shock and the bracket. It depends on if your bike has been updated or not. Also, not all the shocks interchange. The dealer can run your vin to tell you if the update has been done.

LeFox
08-16-2008, 07:34 AM
i bet, once you have it in good condition and ride it, you will no longer give it to your wife :D

LeFox
08-19-2008, 07:41 AM
moved for better overview of problem/fix:

well I took matters into my own hands with my rear shock problem & machiened a extention braket out of aluminium to increase the length of my shock in turn lowering the bike. I need the shock to be approx. an inch to an inch & a half longer so I made my spacer 3" longer thus hopfull droping the bike 1 & a half to 2" it's a fairly simple straightforward piece & I had planned on posting some pics of it on & off the bike. I had read on here that nobody really makes a cheap & simple drop block for these so if anyone is interested once I make sure theres no kinks with it I could make more.
shiny side up ya'll

LeFox
08-19-2008, 08:18 AM
you can adjust the arm all you want, the rear shock still needs to be revised.

vossrod
08-19-2008, 10:00 AM
I did call the vin into the local harley dealer & all updated & recalls have been made to this paticular bike, there where 9 in total & 90% of them where completed in 03'. I was also wondering if anyone has heard of or delt with a company out of mich. I belive called E & V enginering