PDA

View Full Version : She wants a new pair of headlights...

cmiller1
04-02-2007, 02:57 PM
I went out to a local canyon and saw tons of bikes with all sorts of bright as hell aftermarket head lights...they looked beautiful. Like a fly on a suicide mission locked on to a neon electric trap i became jealous they got to have the extra notability/safety...has anyone had any luck trying these out on their Buell XB? Moving on I figured out that the Buell XB's take a H-7 type bulb for an aftermarket headlight. So I went to the local dealer and he could only sell the stock Buell OEM bulbs. My next shot was Google which shot me over to ebay which had about 200 different types of h7 bulbs, Where can I find those hyper white direct replacement bulbs, does anyone have a good background on these? the price ranges from about $15 - 100 for a set which is even more confusing... wattage? K's? temperature rating? certain brands? lost as all hell please help..[confused]
p.s. go to ebay and type in h7 bulb and feel the pain. haha

thanks for your help....

BuellPartsGuy
04-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Parts unlimited has a set that are 100/135w, I have had many customers install those without any problems and love them. They are considerably brighter and are made to take the vibrations from the Buells and Harleys. I forget who makes them off hand, but when I get back to work I will let you know more about them if needed

cmiller1
04-02-2007, 08:48 PM
please do...
at the risk of sounding redundant,
what dealership do you work @?
I'd be happy to contact you and pay you to order them
From reading your posts on here for a while I trust you more than many other local dealers I visit.

BPG to the rescue.[cool]

BuellPartsGuy
04-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Well I recently laid my bike down and messed myself up a bit. I should be back to work soon. I will let you know when I get back. I should have no problem sending them to you. I believe they run around $35-40 for a set.

Rifterzs
04-03-2007, 01:39 PM
is this the model: BL-H3B100 ?

I need these also, I can barely see with the ones i got, I picked up a set of aftermarket and boy are they disappointing, actually more like dangerous due to them being so dark. Thanx partsguy, hope your doing ok man.

amp7
04-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Hope you resolved your light situation. I recently went black at 5:45am on the way to work. Luckily I had just pulled out of the drive and was about to turn on my high beam. Talk about pucker up, it took a microsec to push the rocker for brite, which is not good. One might be concentrating on what deer, hog or what raptor is going to appear just beyond the lights at highway speed and a micro is all it takes. Anyway I stopped at one of the chain auto parts stores and looked on their rack of bulbs. There were a few, quite a few. My 9 uses an H3 and there were stock 55watt and a 100watt for my bike at $6.95+tx ea. Bought one of each because of the heat difference.(The higher the watts the more heat is generated. Wattage equates to heat as it is work in electricty. The same with amps or current, the more of them the more heat the larger the wire). Our concern would be the housing, and its heat rating. I trust Erik and crew took future upgrades into consideration. I used the 55w for low, 100w for high. High is mainly used in the cool am hrs. and the 55w is good enough for normal traffic. I saw a Sylvainia (Starlite? not sure) in a blue, silver and black package at $19.99. It comes in 55w&100w and is supposed to have one of the widest extra white/blue outputs.(I have one in reserve as I didn't find it untill I installed the others. Not good to put 'em in and take 'em out, they die) Your H7s were right there in the mix. Standard in a blue pack, EV in a lt. purple and Starlite(??name) in the blue/silver/black shirt. I hope that this along with BPGs info will get you what you need. Sticky roads& smooth curves.
PS. to: Rifterzs, don't know how to post this to you, hope you ck. back, might help you too.

BuellPartsGuy
04-07-2007, 03:05 AM
The trick is, with most aftermarket bulbs, they are made for cars. They are not made for the vibrations of the Buells. I first ran Silvania bulbs in my Firebolt and they blew out within a month. I ran the ones from parts unlimited and never had any problems from then on out. I never had any problems with too much heat from the higher wattage bulbs either.

Yeah Rifterz, I believe that is the part number. But i will let you know for sure soon.

2Evil4U
04-07-2007, 03:24 AM
I replaced my stock bulbs with Silverstars at about 250 miles last October. I just turned over 4100 miles today with no issues.

Rifterzs
05-22-2007, 10:07 PM
i replaced mine with the BL-H3B100 and it wasn't that much a difference that i could tell, maybe i will try switching them back and testing it again but riding after installing them didn't show much difference, i need something stronger, want to replace the whole lighting system i think any ideas?

HarryD
05-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Hello all,
I am brand new to this forum, as I am researching a possible XB12Ss purchase.
On the subject of lighting, I saw a kit for projector lamp replacement at: americansportbike.com The kit is a bit pricey, but projectors are quite a bit better than reflectors (in my opinion).

06longSS
06-04-2007, 01:30 AM
I just put some sylvania silverstars in my 06 long hope I have the same luck as 2evil4u. When I was replacing them I noticed a plug for a small light in the center of the to head beams. I don't see anything in the owner's manual IRT this center light. Can anyone enlighten this poor soul?? Hope to hear from some one soon.

BuellButton
07-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Hello 06longss, The small lamp socket between the headlamps on the XB is for a parking lamp. It is fitted with a bulb on the European and I believe on the Japanese versions. The US version simply has no bulb fitted. The socket is fully functional.
Install a 12 Volt "Peanut Bulb" (Shape T-1 1/2 and Base is Wedge Sub-miniature). Auto parts store has in clear and in colors. It is lighted when the Buell is locked and the key turned to last position. It is also on when the headlamps are lighted.
I installed a blue lamp. Very cool when parked and locked.

LeFox
07-24-2007, 05:47 PM
ebay links are too long, forum doesn't let me post them, but here are 2 conversion kits.

item 320133472214 @ ebay motors
seller: star-rotors (http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/star-rotors/)

item 130135758950 @ ebay motors
seller: katierose413 (http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/katierose413/)

XBear9S
08-12-2007, 09:57 PM
I got several buds running HID conversions!

They're all happy happy happy!
(All except me, who tends to be ahead of them.
It sux being the badass sometimes!)

But now I'm lookin' into it too.
Out here in the hills, just outsida Austin,
the deer overpopullation keeps me thinkin' its worth the work.
I've already hit 3, dammit!!!!

What amazes me is that the couple of XBSers
managed to squeeze the ballasts behind their flyscreens!
CRAZY!
The XBRers have it a whole lot easier.

Then I can fall back and give them other Buellers
a liitle of their own medicine! HA HA!
'Cause me and my "Pinga", we're EVIL like that!

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s123/I_heart_Zombies_MORE/shedevil.jpg
Robtk!42 a.k.a. "Specialk!" http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p39/hnglikabear/teu01.gif

"In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their two-wheeled environment."
--Charles "Uly" Darwin

Phazernut
08-30-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm curious...can the headlights on the XB be set so that when you have high beam on you have both lights lit. It seems a waste to have that extra light there but not lit.

robk
12-13-2007, 01:33 AM
Im running a set of Hella Yellowstars which like it says are yellow. I usually run both highs and lows at the same time. I bought them off of a website but done remember it. They only cost me about $10 total shipping included!! I personally love them, but my buddy hates me riding behind him especially at night lol:D

robk
05 XB9R

judah2009
01-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Anyone have any advice on HOW (the actual procedure) to remove the bulbs from an XB12S? Guess I need to get my hands on a service manual.

Trill
01-17-2009, 03:54 PM
link on top of the page for buell service manuals.. Free

judah2009
01-17-2009, 07:11 PM
The service manual for the Lightning is not posted. Headlights are different than the Firebolt.