PDA

View Full Version : Fender eliminator and charcoal canister.

Bordsnbikes
08-16-2008, 02:55 PM
So I've read a bunch about the fender eliminator and I'm sure I can do it. The only problem I have is what happens after when you ride in wet wether, does it spatter your back as bad as I think it will? I ride most of the year and just bundle up real good and don't want that. Also, I have a bike that was sold in cali, where all do the hose's go to and from on the canister so I can remove the hideous beast?

shilohsk8
08-16-2008, 03:29 PM
I live in Cali but I bought an out of state Buell so I never had the canister. I'm sure someone who knows about that will chime in soon like LeFox or BPG. As for the fender eliminator your back will get a little wetter but it is worth it for the good looks.:D

Bordsnbikes
08-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Ok well I am impatient so I just went and figured it out. One hose comes from the fuel tank to the canister, right next to it a hose leaves the canister and goes to the carb. This hose would basicaly be a vacuum line if these bikes had any use for one. So I clipped the line short and put a vacuum cap over it and removed all the other garbage. Then rerouted the gas line so if it purged it wouldn't dump all over the bike... as much.

Sayjackb
08-16-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm in CA too, what the crap is that thing for?

Thaloc
08-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Emissions

Bordsnbikes
08-17-2008, 03:37 PM
It takes any fuel evaporations or overflow from your tank and puts it into that canister. The charcoal nuetrilizes it before it vents to the air, or the other tube puts it in the carb to be burned off. It has nothing to do with performance, unless you consider ugly poor performance.

LeFox
08-17-2008, 08:36 PM
It takes any fuel evaporations or overflow from your tank and puts it into that canister. The charcoal nuetrilizes it before it vents to the air, or the other tube puts it in the carb to be burned off. It has nothing to do with performance, unless you consider ugly poor performance.
yep...got a few post around here bout the canister...it's a pure emissions thing.

although around euro country from the '08 they have other types of headers and catalyst converters that would give you an even better result...although for factory the price will be higher...

kbfnail
04-21-2012, 08:53 PM
I bought my bike with the cannister off and both the lines are open. Should I plug the one too the Throttle body or is it ok open?

Lesley
04-22-2012, 06:28 AM
So I've read a bunch about the fender eliminator and I'm sure I can do it. The only problem I have is what happens after when you ride in wet wether, does it spatter your back as bad as I think it will? I ride most of the year and just bundle up real good and don't want that.

The lightnings do not really have much of a fender to begin with. They have a small splash guard/wheel hugger from factory. I've seen some with a larger style that is on the XT bikes I believe.

But as far as the cheese grater goes there really isn't any water rain protection from it.