PDA

View Full Version : Shift Sock

FIDOSOL
08-16-2008, 05:40 PM
So I was wondering what everyone is doing to get rid of what I hatefully refer to as the "Shift Patch". That not so little area on your boot/shoe that is black from the shifter peg...

I just ordered a shift sock from www.ryderclips.com. It goes over the shifter and zips into place, it will be here on MON/TUE so I'll let ya'll know how it actually performs when I get it on there and post some pics as well.

So anyone that already has this, or an alternative please chime in and post a pic or two.

Thaloc
08-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Look up "Shifter Skinz" on Ebay. I cant link, the link is too long for the forums.

FIDOSOL
08-16-2008, 06:21 PM
One of my NCO's has that, but I don't want to have to change it out everytime I change my riding footwear. Thank You very much for your input though.

Thaloc
08-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Its just velcro, and if you always ride in your army boots not too much of a hassle. I just have a pair of Timberland work boots i ride in that I dont really mind the shifter mark. Infact, it may be bad habit, but when I meet a fellow rider my first impression of him/her comes from this "shift patch" on their boot. No patch=dont ride much=recreational rider. Its prolly a bad analogy but...

FIDOSOL
08-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Thing is I would have to take it off every time I get off/on the bike because it's not part of my uniform. When I'm not in uniform and I ride I usually wear a different pair of boots. I'd rather just put it on the bike and leave it there ya know?
I know what you mean about the patch. I can usually spot other riders in uniform, most of them don't even realize how I knew they ride.

Thaloc
08-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Thing is I would have to take it off every time I get off/on the bike because it's not part of my uniform. Duh! My great downfall of not thinking two steps ahead. I get what ya mean.
I can usually spot other riders in uniform, most of them don't even realize how I knew they ride. haha Ya, when I see someone with the "patch" I always ask; "what do ya ride" and their responce always follows a puzzled look:p

Roccodart440
08-18-2008, 06:28 PM
I like that patch on my left toe and the worn spot on my right sole.

Embrace it. It means you actually ride.

dans03firebolt
08-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Oh yeah I have a pair of sneakers that are white but the mesh in the toe is completely black!! Oh well I just deal with it. The easiest thing would be to buy black sneakers/boots and always use them for riding.

FIDOSOL
08-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Hey Rocco,

If only I could get my NCO's to understand that, oh well. I got the sock today....I like it so far, fits nice and tight. More than anything, it works so I'm good. I'll post a pic later for anyone interested...

FIDOSOL
08-19-2008, 12:38 AM
So umm....
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1642_20080818173308_L.jpg
comments? Be kind, nah just kidding, rip away if ya want. My only defense....convenience and I don't have to worry about losing it...

mrdozer2you
08-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Nothing better to spend tax dollars on huh? I guess its purpose built....not really for style. Does this help so you dont have to shine your boots as much?

dans03firebolt
08-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Pretty damn ugly if you ask me but it works for what you need it to work and it looks like an easy slip on slip off type of product so you can take it off on the weekends when you aren't in uniform.

Definitely served your purpose 100%.

FIDOSOL
08-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Dozer,
We don't wear black boots anymore so we don't have to shine them, but the desert boots are a pain in the ass to keep clean unless you are actually in the desert, I am at Fort Knox right now anybody know of a nearby sandlot to play in?

Dans,
You're right, it's ugly as all sin. It's not that easy to put on and off, fits on the rubber part that blackens my boots pretty damn snug.
On the other hand, it does serve it's purpose, so I couldn't care less. I probably won't take it off on the weekends, too much of a hassle and I'd forget to put it back on. Besides, if I cared what other people thought about anything I wouldn't be me, and I wouldn't be riding a BUELL.

mrdozer2you
08-19-2008, 04:25 PM
We don't wear black boots anymore

Nice...my buddy was in GTMO Cuba in 03'. They still wore black then with the green BDU there.

FIDOSOL
08-19-2008, 07:08 PM
The boot thing is recent, they've been phasing out the BDU's for the last 1-2 years, now only ACU's are authorized.