PDA

View Full Version : ceramicote headers...

cmiller1
04-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Well,
I took off the stock muffler last night to get ready to ship to drummer to work his magic, then I'm thinking... Since the bike will be down for a week I can take advantage of some other stuff. There is a ceramicote shop next door to my work and was thinking bout pulling off the headers to have them coated flat black (inside and out 1800 degrees farenheit)
Is is easy to pull them off? Are there any tricks or things that I need to know? Advice? Anyone have a pic or have done this before. I guess I love that stealth look and purple/ blue doesn't match my wardrobe. ???

Rifterzs
04-03-2007, 01:47 PM
don't know but get us pics if you do! I'm thinking about drummer to next winter since the bike won't be ridden anyway (I hate the cold) and would love to do this too depending on how yours works out man, keep us posted!

BuellPartsGuy
04-03-2007, 05:04 PM
You have to tip the engine forward to do that. Its not an easy task, plus it requires a few special tools.

2Evil4U
04-03-2007, 06:07 PM
It really wasn't that bad. You have to have something to hold the bike upright as the stand is mounted to the motor. Then there is a stabilizing link under the lower intake cover that has to come off. Along with the small links that are under the left and right scoops. After that it was pretty much put a jack under it, watch the tension on the cables, remove the front mount bolt and pivot it down.

You still need a 3/8" universal joint and long sockets to get at the flange nuts. And moving the tranny vent tube out of the way helped a lot.

cmiller1
05-01-2007, 06:31 AM
I did it! Looks so bad ass....plus unique too! It has that look of the black header wraps but way cleaner! Project was easily handled with a rear wheel stand and a bull dog motorcycle jack. Torqued everythng backdown to spec and away it went..
**Words of wisdom**
the engine really does swing down, hard to believe but it works.
mask off the headers when installing to avoid the ding and scratch, shows up easily on the satin black.
I'll submit my pic asap.
:D

Xb9sX
05-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Are you going to post a picture? Thanks.