PDA

View Full Version : Shorted Temperature Sensor wire

mycoolallen
08-22-2008, 12:53 AM
Jumped on my 2008 Uly XT to go to work and the engin light started flashing intermittantly. First problem!!! Turned the bike off and back on, cleared. Started up the road in about half a mile the light came on and I heard the fan comming on and going off. Turned the bike around and took my truck. The Landcaster Harley dealer could not work on it befor my Sept. 2nd 5000 mi check up. I was a very sad man all day. Looking through the shop manual found the temperature sensor is located on the rear head. As I removed the seat I saw the problem. The sensor wire was caught between the metal seat retaining pin in the front and the metal of the bike frame. The wire was exposed and shorting to the frame but was not broken, Used glass tape for the repair. Working great and I'm a happy man again!!!

The moral of the story is to watch that wire when you replace the seat. I would like to know if I am missing some type of retaining device?

06xb9r
08-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Probably not, I have seen pinched wires from the factory on my bike. I took the rear bodywork off of my 'bolt to remove the rear reflectors and some of the turn signal wires were pinched under something, I forget what now, that was a while ago
These Buells seem to have some wiring issues, maybe because of all the Harley V-Twin vibration?