PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Uly Won't turn over...stator/regulator?

contender
01-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Hi All - first post. I bought my Uly in Seattle in July and then spent a week riding it home to L.A. It was a rad trip.

About a month ago the check engine light came on while riding, but then went back off. A few days later it barely started after work. The engine barely turned over and then luckily it started. It's been in my garage since, as I have been too busy with work to fool with it so I ride my TL1000s.

I had the battery on a trickle charger for a couple days hoping that was the issue. Now it doesn't even turn over. The headlight goes out when I hit the start button, but that is ALL that happens. The previous owner said he replaced the stator at one point and I have read that those and the regulators are prone to failure. Also, the '77 connector' looks fine. No sign of shorting there.

Might anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Many thanks.

-Dustin

c818919
01-30-2012, 11:10 PM
how olds the battery? I'd start there. Have it load tested at the least. I never really get more than two seasons out of one.

anrkizm95
01-31-2012, 04:17 PM
battery,connections,bad fuse,start switch,starter

strawberrys
01-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Contender,
take your battery from other bike, swap it see if it starts. fast test.
straw

contender
01-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks all. I will try that tomorrow and report back. I had some periodontal work done today, so I am couch-bound at the moment.

contender
02-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Swapped batteries, got the same thing. Connections were tight and there were no blown fuses. Also noted the following:

When I turn the key, the headlights do not immediately come on. The needles sweep the gauges and the dash lights up, but the headlights do not always come on. When they do come on, they go off when the starter button is hit. Any other ideas? Thanks again for any help.

jimijeans
02-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Your Starter Gear is Possibly Stuck up against the Clutch Basket Gear. If the lights dim and so on and nothing happens Turn OFF the Key Switch. Now find a Small Hammer and a Good Piece of wood to GENTLY tap the Starter to hopefully unjam it.You can Also Put it in Gear with Ignition OFF and push it just a [little] back and forth. I would just tap the Starter and see about getting a Silnoid kit for it. Hope that's all it is.There are Manuals at the top of the page if you need some pictures of Exploded Views and so on. Post up if needed.*Jimi