PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Stuck?

zuhl
08-26-2008, 02:15 AM
So, I ended up replaceing my left footpeg and shifter that I broke off in the fall I previously wrote about. When I was taking the shifter linkage upper screw off, it cause the transmission to shift from the torque. I suppose it happened a couple times as I was looseining the bolt. I believe that would have been an upshift. Now that I have it back together, it wont shift. It is stuck in a high gear. I hope I did not really screw something up. Any ideas on what happened or what I should do. I really think this bike hates me...

tmsimms
08-26-2008, 04:49 AM
you should try jumping on the shifter.

haha this will sound stupid on my part but have you tried rocking the bike back and forward while apply pressure to the shifter this seems to help on my bike which is a b**** to get into neutral

LeFox
08-26-2008, 10:23 AM
- how did you tighten the shifter pivot bolt?
- when disconnecting the linkage, can you shift then?

zuhl
08-26-2008, 12:22 PM
I took the linkage completely off and tried to pivot the shifter lever (the one that goes into the tranny) manually and it is still stuck. The foot shifter is free to rotate. It appears fine. I tightened it with a ratchet and my calibrated hand, though I need to get a torque wrench out an properly torque it. I need to get a service manual to know what setting.

After a closer inspection, I believe it to be stuck in 1st gear. Do you think riding it around would free up the gears? Or do more damage?

LeFox
08-26-2008, 02:12 PM
try pushing the bike forward (clutch engaged) in gear and see if you get it free.

do not ride, cause my guess would be that the returnspring @ the shifter shaft is stuck :o

zuhl
08-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Thanks. I tried moving it fwd and back with the clutch in and out, but to no avail. I saw the spring in the parts manual, and a shifter stop pin. I wonder if either this spring or pin could have been damaged in the fall.

I really hope this does not turn out to be a multi-thousand $$ repair.

LeFox
08-26-2008, 05:50 PM
in any case, you or you dealer need to open the tranny :o

zuhl
08-27-2008, 05:08 PM
I opened up the service ports on the side of the transmission last night to take a peek. I can see that the return spring is intact. There is another spring that goes around the shifter shaft that I can see and it seems okay. The stop pin for the shifter looks fine. I can see that it the shifter inner assembly is bottoming out on it properly for a downshift. What I cannot see is what is preventing it from upshifting. Something in there is binding. I am hesitant to take the whole cover off without haveing all the parts I will need first. I assume I will need to replace the main gasket, so I will need to order that. I have a 2006 Sportster repair manual, and the two are very very similar internally.

Does anyone know of a reliable, honest, and reasonably priced mechanic that could work on this in the Houston area? I really dont want to go to Mancuso H-D.

zuhl
09-09-2008, 02:09 PM
So I found the problem. I took off the primary cover peep-hole cover and took a close look while referencing a post from Badweatherbikers.com and the service manual. The lower ratchet arm on the main shifter shaft has come loose and is out of alignment. Now I have to take off the primary cover and the chain and the clutch to realign this little thing. But at least it is not any major damage.nullnull

bad juju
09-10-2008, 05:46 AM
not sure without the bike in front of me but im pretty sure there is a special tool when installing the shift linkage.

Buellysses
09-10-2008, 08:17 PM
I had the same issue with mine when I biffed it. The little pawl thingy on the bottom of the shift shaft assembly had spun around on me. After f***ing with it for about an hour I figured out that i could take the small extension spring off and spin the thing back where it was supposed to go.

When that happened I was able to upshift but not downshift.

If you want I can post pics when I get home to my service manual.

zuhl
09-24-2008, 04:13 PM
I took off the primary and found that I had the exact same problem. The after that, and some new tranny fluid in the primary, it works like a champ. Thanks!

I cannot figure out how that thing got out of alignment. The pivot joint on it is tight and the spring was still attached so there seems to be no way it could have either spun 360° or jumped over the stopper.

riceetr
04-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Anybody else have this problem.
The guy I bought my bike from said it fell over and bent the shift linkage so he put a new one on and said it might need to be adjusted.
Most of the time the bike shifts ok but usually after riding for about 30 mins it'll get stuck in a gear and I can't go up or down. Sometimes its second or third or forth. I have to keep messing with it and after awhile it'll let me shift again.
I took off the inspection cover and adjusted the clutch play a little. It had a little extra play but not much so I tightened it up a bit.
Any ideas?