PDA

View Full Version : XB12R Running Lean

bitter rod
09-02-2008, 10:25 PM
I have the race kit/exhaust. It seems to run quite lean at low speeds and especially when it is a bit cold. I have zero experieance with tuning the ECM. My question, if I get the spy cable, download some programs, will I be able to adjust it myself? What's the cure? Thanks

LeFox
09-03-2008, 03:05 PM
racekit exhaust, does that include the race ecm?

bitter rod
09-03-2008, 04:07 PM
yes

LeFox
09-04-2008, 10:02 AM
no need to tune it then...

since you have an all buell racekit, the ecm is built for your exhaust & filter and should be running almost optimal.

i would look into your coldstart & idle speed.
maybe you temp sensor is acting up?
if not...it may be time to do a reset...

bitter rod
09-04-2008, 06:51 PM
I just did a TPS reset. It was the same before and after. How do you adjust temp sensor??? Thanks LeFox...

LeFox
09-05-2008, 01:03 PM
adjust? not...either works correctly or it doesn't.

what do you atually experience when you say it seems to run lean at low speeds & cold weather?

bitter rod
09-05-2008, 05:11 PM
If I try to accelerate slowly, it makes a sound as if it is gasping for air....will pop and sometimes stall. Airbox is open. Like I said, only really happens when it is cold and only at low rpm

LeFox
09-06-2008, 07:48 AM
how's your battery?
is the getting warm faster than before? (=> does the vent come on faster?)

the fact that it is worse when cold and at low rpm's points me in that direction for the moment, since you then get a bad combustion.

the open airbox does make more sucking noise, which is normal.

bitter rod
09-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Battery is fine. I have not noticed any temp difference. That loud sucking noise is usually followed by a loud pop from the airbox area.

LeFox
09-07-2008, 09:21 AM
maybe a stupid Q, but how do you know that the battery is fine?
cause it's not because the bike starts that the battery is ok...

since you don't experiance any heat difference or don't hear the fan running more than normal, the problem is not running lean (lean = more heat = fan running more)

bitter rod
09-07-2008, 05:25 PM
you could be right...I will have the battery tested. Thanks.....it has done this since the day I bought it, last year. So I haven't noticed more heat...the fan runs a lot, but I thought that was normal.

skellybuell
10-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Just a suggestion maybe check spark plugs to see if they are ok check gap and see if there black

blackxb12r
10-09-2008, 02:01 AM
i bought my 04 with the buell pipe and race ecm but not the open air box kit. i did the hose reroute and open air box mod and it didnt spit and stutter anymore at all. now the weather has cooled off i noticed it wants to cough and even die if i dont let it warm up for just a little bit. i dont think mine is lean because you can smell the gas in exhuast for the first few minutes. i didnt catch if you had done anything to the stock air box or the reroute. just a thought.

tonytheoak
02-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Guys, I bought the 08 XB12R back in June 08 and have been constantly in pain due to the high temperature the bike gets up to. I end up having to ride with my legs wide out in order to keep from burning them on the frame...anybody know what's up with this? The dealer basically shrugs and tells me that it's normal...

Kole_DeWoody
02-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Get the headers wrapped or ceramic coated will help