PDA

View Full Version : New Ulysses owner, some gremlin-related questions

unlucky1
03-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Howdy. I've had my '06 Uly for about a month now. It has about 38,xxx miles on it, a Jardine can, and a dyno tuned ECM remap. For whatever it's worth, I think Nels Byersdorf tuned it at 2 Wheel Dyno Works in Redmond, WA. I am pretty familiar with my friend's '07 Uly, we've rotated the engine to get at his blown rocker gaskets, done tps reset, remapped his fuel with a race map floating around on this forum, replaced the belt, and various other stuff.

Almost every time we do something with his Uly, I think to myself "Damn! That is one well-engineered machine!" - I had to have one, and now I do.

Buying a 40k bike, I expected some niggles and sure enough I have a couple that seem sensor-related. Despite this, the bike runs great but I have noticed it is a bit thirsty. 120 miles of riding needs 3.6-3.8 gallon top-up. Maybe you guys could help me with some knowledge.

The engine light will come on intermittently; when I am twisting off as much throttle as possible, it will fairly-predictably come on and after a few moments turn itself off. It will also come on and stay on after riding steady (straight highway) for 20min or so, but go off after shutting the motor down.

Also, the fuel light will come on and go of intermittently. I've found that if I putt around town, the light will be on more often then not, and I can make it go out by twisting off as much throttle as possible and riding like a juvenile delinquent. I hear the fuel pump wiring can be suspect on these, maybe that's a good place to start looking?

I got in touch with the PO asking about the fuel light issue. He says he doesn't know, he put gas in it and when the light came on, he topped it up. Then it came on again but he only needed like 1.5 gallons to fill it.

Without asking, he also mentioned that the engine light will go on and off because it is looking for the O2 sensor which has been taken out of the loop so the ECM doesn't overwrite the dyno fuel map.

Anyhow, my main concerns are the fuel light and whether I should have the O2 sensor connected and in the mix. My thought about the O2 is that I should probably have this going to adjust for altitude, and maybe it will help improve fuel economy to a certain extent. I do a lot of rocky mountain trips but I live at sea level so altitude adjustment and fuel economy are things I value. I am also not super excited to run the fuel dry because of the fuel light that cried wolf.

I guess if anybody has any advice on stuff to look for off the top of their head, I'd appreciate it. The plan for this weekend is to take it to my friend's and hook it up to ECMspy, reset the TPS, and see if we can determine which error code(s) I'm dealing with.

user_deleted
03-09-2012, 06:51 PM
my 07 uly only has 3300 miles on it but i'm consistently at 55mpg or so, have hit low 60's. i ride gently but these bikes sip fuel if ridden sensibly. don't know if you looked at your plugs or exhaust can but sounds rich as hell. betting ATS switch or O2 sensor. ATS switch in base of airbox. common part #'s listed on this site and how to access ECL codes. you have stored codes which should be read, troubleshot, and cleared.