PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a hard drive on a blast

chadprepton
09-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Alright this might seem crazy but I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas about transporting a hard drive on the Blast. I don't do it a lot but I sometimes load one onto my tail bag and head into work. One of my drive's power supplies stopped working but it was NEVER one i used on the bike. My boss and I are wondering if there is any safe way to do move them, thanks

FIDOSOL
09-08-2008, 10:08 PM
A hard drive as in internal/external? As long as you don't drop it then there isn't enough of an EMP or magnetic field put out by anything on the bike to mess it up. If you are worried about the vibration from the bike messing anything up then you can put it in a backpack and wear it, your body's mass will negate any vibration that would cause long term damage.

Sayjackb
09-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I would slide it into an anti Static Bag... you can pick them up any where computer parts are sold, But i would use one anytime i moved any component anywhere that wasn't straight into the trash... It doesn't take much at all to ruin circitry... riding through dusty air will generate enough of a static charge to wipe it out. Chances are you will ground yourself somehow befor you even touch the drive... Safety first (Especially if it is important data on the drive). If it is an External, it's probably shileded in plastic and metal and will probably ground and disipate any residuall charge when its pluged in. i wouldn't worry about that to much... Vibrating. I would choose a backpack or at least a towel in a tank or tail bag.... Just my thoughts. . . I think this very comversation makes us nerds though...

FIDOSOL
09-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Hmm, duly noted. Just so ya know nerd is when you're in school. IT Amatuer is the term I prefer now that I'm an adult (legally at least).

chadprepton
09-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Haha I love the political correctness. I'm shocked people would know anything about this but thanks
its an external so I think I will just wrap it in a towel, thanks again guys.