PDA

View Full Version : Break in Period

heavymetal
04-13-2007, 02:28 AM
OK here is a question. How serious is the break in period? I have done the 50 miles not going over 50mph and not exceeding the 2500-3000 rpm and varying the rpm as well. The book says from 50 to 500 I shouldn't go over 55 mph and not above 3500 rpm. Is this really the case? If I can't do 65 mph down the highway I will get ran over. Plus 55 feels slow and I have about 55 miles to go to work. Do the math, 55 mph for 55 miles = sleep at the wheel. Any opinions. Besides 500 miles is a good distance to hold the speed back. Granted I don't want to hit speeds of 75 or anything. I also don't want be rallying around town but I would like to keep up with old ladies.
Thoughts?

maybebuell
04-13-2007, 10:46 AM
those speeds you will be fine drive it nornal...65mph is fine

2Evil4U
04-13-2007, 12:04 PM
My dealer told me to keep it under 4k. Other than that, not to worry about it.

B_Brad
04-13-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure what the owners manual tells you on how to break in the motor. I think the most important would be to vary the RPM'S.

Seizer
04-21-2007, 12:29 PM
I think its crap to keep it under 55mph. The only thing I wouldn't do is take it to redline. Other than that ride it like you would normally. I do agree with the RPM varying. Also I would change the oil a lot sooner than 1000 miles. I just changed mine at 150 miles. Here is a link to the school of thought I subscribe to on engine break in.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

mezap
04-30-2007, 01:56 AM
Seizer: followed the link and read the page. Motoman has some good points, did you use his method to break your bike in? If so, how does yours compare with other buells you've ridden with or on? I ask because I followed the manual TO THE LETTER and I am still using a little oil. Not much, but enough that I make it a point to check it every time I ride. I have been told that this is just a characteristic of the "Harley Sportster Engine", but I am wondering.

Argentum
06-03-2007, 09:27 AM
I back the Motoman method 100% The old "treat 'em like babies" method is a leftover from days gone by. New age engines constructed of far superior metal alloys require a different approach to break-in.

Also in favour of changing the oil very soon after initial start-up. An associate working in the petrochemical industry changed his oil after only 50miles and then sent an oil sample to the guys in the lab. Results were very suprising. Results showed minor amounts of metallic contamination as you would expect... but the real shockker was the amount of silicon carbide contamination that was present. Silicon Carbide being the abrasive used for engine component grinding and cylinder honing. Best to get those nasty abrasives out of the engine ASAP. Who wants those nasties floating around in there for 1000miles ???

flyboy
06-15-2007, 04:14 AM
I agree,when I break a new airplane engine you run it at full power and change oil,filter,and oil cooler at 25 hours.

2Evil4U
06-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Re the silicon carbide....

Unless it was a specially formulated Break-In lubricant that was supposed to allow the piston rings and cylinder bores to seat properly.

Just a thought.

My dad's got a 1978 Superglide 1200 with just under 79,000 miles on it, It has never had the bottom end disassembled. The only things that have been done to the motor internals were the valve guides twice. If an AMF FX can last that long with no oil related problems, having only run standard 50W, I'd say just follow the factory recommendations.

Echo...

Argentum
06-19-2007, 02:24 PM
That's a novel approach, putting abrasives in your lubricant [confused]

Don't think so

B_Brad
06-19-2007, 07:55 PM
I would follow Buell's recommendations on break-in procedures. I think some manufacturers use mineral oil to speed up the break-in processes which has less lubricating properties than regular oil. So when you exceeded the recommended max RPM range there is a potential of glazing the cylinder walls due to excess cylinder wall temperatures. There is a lot of information about break-in procedures and a lot of experts on the internet, but I don't know any manufactures that recommends riding at excessive RPM's. Most recommend about half of what the motor is capable of producing.

mndwgz
06-20-2007, 03:26 PM
New 07 12R and I'm breaking it in like I'm going to ride it, except I'm keeping the revs under 5000 until the second oil change, after that I'll try not red line it too often. First oil and filter change will be at 300, the second when the oil starts turning. Hard (moderate) break-ins have worked for me in bikes, boats, cars, and trucks.