PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Question

FIDOSOL
09-09-2008, 04:39 PM
So I was wondering if this is normal or not.

If I'm cruising at about 60mph in 5th and I pull in the clutch all the way and come to a complete stop and then try to downshift through the gears 4,3,2,1 I have to let the clutch out some or pull it back in to downshift. WTF?

5th..keep clutch all the way in...
4th...let it out a bit.....
3rd....let in and out until you find it....
2...pull in....
1.... let out half way.

Any idea what causes this? BTW checked all my fluids, it's full.

Thaloc
09-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Thats wierd. I always downshift as i slow, but ill try your way see the results on my way home from work and post results.

BuellPartsGuy
09-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Its normal. Just downshift while you decel like you are supposed to.

What would happen if you need to take an evasive action while deceling and youre in 5th at 25mph? Not a good situation.

Thaloc
09-09-2008, 05:12 PM
BPG pls looks at the 08ECM post!!!

Sorry to jack ur thread Fido!

NOMORE4s4ME
09-09-2008, 05:13 PM
If I come to a stop from 5th without downshifting(which is almost never) I have to fiddle a little to get it down to the right gear. I think that's normal. Try to down shift a little while still moving. Makes it easier on the bike.

Not sure what that has to do with men dressed like women though.

FIDOSOL
09-09-2008, 06:05 PM
I only do it occasionally, just something I noticed is all. Good to know it's normal.

Tranny...transmission...nomore you're dirty man.

Bordsnbikes
09-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Yes it's normal. The teeth don't all line up all the way through the gear range. Think of a bunch of gears of different sizes right next to each other, then think of how many of the teeth will match.

FIDOSOL
09-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Good stuff, love all the information just waiting to be fished out on here.

2003buellxb9s
09-10-2008, 01:22 PM
not sure what fished out means but i love this place. i experienced the EXACT same thing last night and found that if i just down**** as i declerate as suggested that everything is fine. i was thinking about taking apart that sexy but perverted tranny just to have a peek inside but it sounds like that's one skirt i don't have to lift.

thanks guys.